BTR - branderson1983 aka maskedman504 - Resolved by PAYPAL

These BTR's have been resolved. The accused may or may not have been involved in the resolution. Familiarize yourself with this section as a preventative measure.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: branderson1983 aka maskedman504

Post by MagickalMemories »

His account has been banned with the following notice:
You have multiple open BTRs for apparent scamming. You are banned until they are resolved. Contact your trade partners or MagickalMemories@aol.com to work on a resolution.
Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

Here is a snapshot of what I'm sending him via Facebook.

Please, and I will reiterate this, let's keep our contact with him civil, and non-threatening.

Here is his facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ben.anderson.777363?fref=ts

I also have his (or at least his parent's) home address. I have been unsuccessful at locating a number for them (at least without paying money).
Ben Anderson
14425 Meadow Ct
Leawood, KS 66224-3963

It's funny how when other people who were stiffed, or almost stiffed, are willing to help you out....

So if you combine where he lives, his face book page likes/interests/groups (Adepticon/Games workshop and 2 facebook gaming groups), I'm pretty sure we have located our subject.

For all of us who are trying to recoup our money, let's remember to be civil, and not to threaten or harass. Trust me, I want nothing more than to throw my weight around but it would get us nowhere and invalidate our point if we decide to pursue legal avenues (which I would just to prove a point).

Also, I suggest we not attempt to call his workplace yet until we have attempted a day or two of addressing him via facebook or if we can find his number/landline to the house, we can try those. If those fail, then we should attempt calling him at work.

Regards,
Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owed Reference(s) by:

Please respond to PMs, even if it's to say you had a better offer or a no thanks. It's just polite.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

Just got off the phone with his "current employer" based off the FB info. WIthout telling me he no longer works there and it would seem that it's been for "a while".

I'm going to call paypal now and see if I can't get the money back before I further pursue talking with him directly. It would appear that this was very intentional and seems to me that he did it because he was hard up for money.
Owed Reference(s) by:

Please respond to PMs, even if it's to say you had a better offer or a no thanks. It's just polite.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

Just got off the phone with paypal. They filed a claim for both transactions on my part. If he does send me something, I intend to record me opening it from it's delivered/sealed stat on the off chance he is unscrupulous enough to send an empty package/envelope with a tracking number to satisfy the claim.

Anyone's thoughts/perspectives?
Owed Reference(s) by:

bushellrr ( 10 )
New Trader

Post by bushellrr »

Ben, I think you are right. We wait a couple of days to see if he responds. If he chooses not to respond, we can contact the Kansas City PD fraud department and file either one group report or three separate reports and follow up with them. I think when those lurking in the shadows to take advantage of honest traders realize this isn't a community worth messing with, they will go lurk elsewhere.

-Rich
:) I 've never seen anyone pack so little so well...you might have an OCD problem ;) - Trading Partner
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

You each need to start with your local PD. HIS PD will require a police report from YOUR PD...
Your PD will probably tell you that you have to start with HIS PD. I don't think it's intentional, but it's a sort of game that you have to play.
Tell YOUR local PD that you talked to his and that they won't do anything until you've filed locally, first.
The part about you talking to them isn't exactly true, but the rest is.

Once you have that, call his PD and speak to a detective. They'll try to shrug it off as a civil matter - breach of contract. Be persistent. Insist that it's THEFT and not a breach of contract. Be POLITE, but be insistent.
It's worked before.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
bushellrr ( 10 )
New Trader

Post by bushellrr »

I filed a police report this afternoon with Overland Park Police Department, Ben Anderson's home town. They allowed me to file online as a non-resident so at least I have a report number to use with my local PD. Looking back through the dakkadakka trade reports and e-bay, he's been doing this sort of thing off and on since at least 2008 under his maskedman504 persona. It would be nice to get enough reports filed by actual victims that it adds up to look like a real case the OVPPD would be interested in pursuing. If we have a few people willing to dig out the bad apple and throw it away rather than just moving it aside for someone else to find later, our community will improve. Good luck to us all.
:) I 've never seen anyone pack so little so well...you might have an OCD problem ;) - Trading Partner
bushellrr ( 10 )
New Trader

Post by bushellrr »

Also attempting to contact one of the people scammed on DakkaDakka to see if they want to contribute if we can get a case going.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

PM the Swapshop Mods over there. Tell them what you've done. Ask if they have any info they can share with you for the PD.
I can't access Dakka from work... has anyone there gotten a resolution? If not, post in that thread, as well. Tell them what you did and urge them to do the same. If/when you have a detective's name, post that in this thread and in the Dakka thread, as well.

Eric

bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

Reached out to TableTop Gaming in Overland Park to see if he had been in their recently, and honestly when I asked for a manager of the store initially they were very caggy about why someone would ask for a manager. The guy on the phone when I asked if he was the manager/owner replied...umm sure.

I asked if Ben ever came into the store and for some reason got the feeling that they guy on the phone wanted to start laughing but then informed me that Ben has not been in the store in awhile, and no one knows where he is, but that he was a pretty weird guy.

I asked the "manager" that if he saw Ben that he ask him to please reply to all of his BTR's on Bartertown and Dakka, as he has not shipped many items to people that he has recieved money for and it could become a legal issue. (which it seems it already is).

The "manager" then replied he'll let him know when he sees him. which is wierd since he stated that he hasn't seen him in awhile.

...again the sudo-laughter from our conversation makes me think that I would probably never want to shop at that store if their first response to a question about someone stealing products I sell is funny. (even if it is not from me)

guy was really young on the phone so im betting he isn't the owner...probably a relative or something.
Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

Yes, I have gotten nowhere with the gaming groups he is apart of on facebook. Mainly because if you're not friends when you message someone they go into a weird sub folder in the message box (which I never knew about until recently), and also because I imagine when someone tries to friend you without knowing them from the other side of the country it seems odd.

I am just waiting to get my money back from paypal at which time I will post that here and if the mods want to close the thread they can. I guess it's technically not resolved by the reneging party as such, but is resolved in the sense that I will have received a refund...so I dunno.

I think I'll call a hobby store down there or two as well and see what kind of response I get as well.
Owed Reference(s) by:

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

1) Try JOINING the groups and see what happens
2) We do mark them resolved but, if you look through the Resolved forum, you'll see that we denote HOW it was resolved in situations like that.

Eric

Korias1004 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Korias1004 »

I did try joining and trying to friend the primary person(s) adding others to the groups, as well as messaged them.

At any rate, Paypal has refunded me my $95.00 so I consider the issue resolved.

Eric, if you need help tracking people in the future I found it entertaining to do it so I wouldn't mind helping if you ever need it. I don't have the resources you apparently do or I just refrained from spending the money on certain sites to pull up said information (phone numbers) but either way, after having been on the receiving end of a bad trade I wouldn't mind helping others to try and get some resolution.

I hope the others who were ripped off by Ben Anderson also got their money back or recieved their product.

Thanks,
Ben
Owed Reference(s) by:

jedthehomarid ( 48 )
Trade Novice

Post by jedthehomarid »

I'm from the Kansas City area and game at the store Bluemeenie called so thought I'd check to see if I had met the guy before or knew anyone who knew him. Anyway his Facebook page has this as the most recent post:

Ben Anderson
April 20
Benjamin Ross Anderson Passed away 4/19/14 in his sleep.
May God Rest His Soul...

So there's that...
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Everything I pulled on him is publicly available information.
I've been doing this a long time, so I know a few tricks. ; )

As you have your money back (Glad to hear it!), I'll be marking this resolved without his assistance.

jedthehomarid wrote:jedthehomarid
Respectfully, I don't know the man and I don't know if it's true or not. I know he's got a history of inappropriate trade behavior, though. That's enough for me.

Eric

Return to “Resolved Bad Trader Reports”