Unofficial Guidelines

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Re: Unofficial Guidelines

Post by Ironhide »

If someone claims backout when no deal was reached, then the any retailiatory Neg is fully justified.
No, the retaliatory neg is not fully justified. If someone leaves a backout that is not fully justifiable, it will be so noted. Possibly deleted. If they also left a negative ref based on that backout, the neg will be removed. If you go and take action into your own hands, then most likely the admins and mods will let both negatives stand and consider it a "lesson learned" for both parties involved. That applies doubly for you now, John, since you decided to make the generalized threat.

See:
5. If they leave a backout, I would definitely BTR and Neg them. The deal was never closed, due to disagreement on conditions. Leaving a "backout" means they don't understand process.
That right there is ITL intimidation, as per the rule. You don't enforce the rules, John. The Bartertown staff does.
Rule #11: ITL or Reference intimidation
ITL (AKA Reference) intimidation is a first-offense ban.

What qualifies as ITL intimidation?
In its most direct form, ITL intimidation is when someone says something like "If you give me a bad trader report, I'm gonna give you one."
Anything that is not so direct, like "If you don't give me a good trade report, you'll regret it" also may qualify. Note that giving someone retaliatory feedback qualifies as well. No free hits.
If you are not sure, please contact either myself or one of the moderators. The equivalent level of evidence required for filing a bad trade report is necessary: emails with headers, PMs, and so forth.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

A Tip on Trading Board Ettiquette

Post by Ironhide »

Been seeing a lot of bonehead moves recently, so without further ado:

When you have that irresistible urge to point out to your fellow trader, in their own ad no less, that you can find it somewhere else for cheaper; DON'T! That is threadjacking/hi-jacking.

When you feel an irresistible urge to put an ad in another trader's ad, DON'T! That is threadjacking/hi-jacking.

If you feel like giving a fellow trader advice in the trade ad, DON'T. That is threadjacking/hi-jacking. Send them a PM.

So, unless you are asking a question about his ad (I.E. what edition?, Are they painted?, etc.), DON'T POST IN THE AD!

RTFR for further clarification: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

sorry for the threadomancy but i felt this needed to be added

dont post pics in your trade threads. post links to pics. saves a lot of bandwidth for those of us with slow connections. and half the time we only want to look at the items that we are interested in, not every model you own.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm in partial agreement with this.
If you look at my most recent ad, you'll see that almost all of my pics are linked. There are 4 that are directly in the post, but that's for the ease of the people reading my thread. I refer to models by number (and they're numbered in the pic). It's a lot easier to have the pic and numbers on the same page.

Otherwise, it does make load time faster.

In the very least, you should use a "pic heavy" warning, or the like in your Subject line.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

tordeck wrote: dont post pics in your trade threads. post links to pics. saves a lot of bandwidth for those of us with slow connections. and half the time we only want to look at the items that we are interested in, not every model you own.
Is this really a problem? Video, I understand. But does dial-up even exist anymore?

I personally prefer pictures in trade ads. Links are often broken/poorly inserted/annoying, in a way that a picture with a caption is not.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

if it wasnt i wouldnt have necroed the thread now would i

The Dark City
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

tordeck wrote:if it wasnt i wouldnt have necroed the thread now would i
Well, this being the Internet and all, there is always that possibility. :)

What is your specific situation?
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

a lot of my time online comes when using an e-reader and wifi

The Dark City
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

tordeck wrote:a lot of my time online comes when using an e-reader and wifi
OK. I read you.

But my own feeling on this is that this is site for computer based users, and optimizing it to benefit a few outliers who are using non-standard means of access should not be the goal.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

how is the use of links at all detrimental to computer users? also why (even if we are a minority) should we mobile based users be punished for not using a computer? and even in this day and age there are going to be people that have bandwidth issues while using computers (those on a shared network like a college campus for example) why should they suffer when a simple fix is to just post links over pics? plus this is an unofficial guideline, not a fixed rule set. you dont have to comply but you can if you want to be more user friendly to all.

The Dark City
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

tordeck wrote:you can if you want to be more user friendly to all.
This is the part that I'm talking about. I come to Bartertown to look at pics of models to buy. I don't want to have to navigate to other websites to see the pics of what's on offer.

I don't think it's "more user friendly to all" to link to pics.

And your point that these are unofficial guidelines and such is fair and well-taken, but what I don't want is for there to be an apparent consensus that outside pic links are preferred on the whole--because I certainly don't prefer them! :)

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

we can agree to disagree then

The Dark City
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

tordeck wrote:how is the use of links at all detrimental to computer users? also why (even if we are a minority) should we mobile based users be punished for not using a computer? and even in this day and age there are going to be people that have bandwidth issues while using computers (those on a shared network like a college campus for example) why should they suffer when a simple fix is to just post links over pics? plus this is an unofficial guideline, not a fixed rule set. you dont have to comply but you can if you want to be more user friendly to all.

Since this is my thread.....

Detrimental because most internet users do not like having to open/follow one more link. Also, I go to college 4 days a week and never have "bandwidth issues" when using their Wifi. I have accessed this site with an Android smartphone and while loading a page with pics is slower, it is much faster than dial-up; which I have used in the past. Also, on the subject of using mobile devices to access the web using Wifi, if your loading times are slow then you may want to try getting closer to a Wifi Access Point (WAP); the farther you get from it the weaker your signal gets and your load times will be slower. Contrary to popular belief, wireless access speeds are just as fast as wired access speeds, the only reason they sometimes seem slower is because a person is too far from the WAP, or the WAPs have not been set up correctly physically. They can be either too close or too far from each other, or the channels they operate on can be too close causing weak signal strength.

I know several others who access this site from mobile devices, but I haven't heard them complain. The bottomline to me is this - it is a members trade ad, and they can use pics or links if they want to. It is their choice.

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

I've notices the trend of putting your own personal trade "rules" in the signature. Thus my own signature.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Actually, Bartertown rules are that, since a sig line is not static and can be changed at any time, Sig line 'rules' are not enforceable. There's too much room for shenanigans.
Any and all specifics of a trade should be discussed/negotiated during the course of a trade. Nothing should be left to assumption.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”