Unofficial Guidelines

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Unofficial Guidelines

Post by JohnHwangBT »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Ollieb wrote:"NIB" does not necessarily mean you are getting the current production of that mini/unit.
NIB is NIB

NEW in box / blister
That does, indeed, imply that it's the newest sculpt.
Really? That's NEW to me. ;)

"NIB" = "New in box/blister" means *new* parts in original box/blister, as opposed to "used" (built / painted / stripped / converted) or "loose" (on sprue / cut / bagged).

I think it's synonymous with MIB, and would have a lot of difficulty splitting those hairs.

That said, if I cared about version/generation, I'd ask or request a picture.
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

JohnHwangBT wrote:
MagickalMemories wrote:
Ollieb wrote:"NIB" does not necessarily mean you are getting the current production of that mini/unit.
NIB is NIB

NEW in box / blister
That does, indeed, imply that it's the newest sculpt.
Really? That's NEW to me. ;)

"NIB" = "New in box/blister" means *new* parts in original box/blister, as opposed to "used" (built / painted / stripped / converted) or "loose" (on sprue / cut / bagged).

I think it's synonymous with MIB, and would have a lot of difficulty splitting those hairs.

That said, if I cared about version/generation, I'd ask or request a picture.
I agree with John on this one. If someone says NiB that simply means that the product in the box is in new CONDITION. It has no bearing on if the models are the newest versions or if they're old, bunk OOP minis. I always ask if someone only writes NiB and doesn't provide a note on what generation the minis are.
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

me too.. NIB and MIB pretty much mean... shrink wrap is still on and the product has never before been opened.It does NOT mean that the sculpts are the most recent release.

I also just learned that (at least to one person)... calling something OOP does not mean Out Of Print.. It means Out Of Package.. whups ... I still wanted what he had, but it DID make a difference that I had assumed older and he sent more recent things in a baggie.

-P
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

OOP means Out of Print... It never means Out of Package... That guy just didn't know what it really menat and assumed something else. Do we have a post with legend for all the short forms? If not we should.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Then I guess it's open to interpretation.

If it's a mini from 1979, and it's still in the blister, it's NOT new. It's definitely old.
New does not equal mint and mint does not equal new.

While I understand that people may associate NIB with MIB, that does not make it accurate. I'm all for accuracy.

The only time *I* would accept "NIB" as meaning MIB is if the model was ALSO given the "OOP" designation.

Eric

Now, if you'l excuse me, I need to go ban you all for having the temerity to disagree with me. :wink:
J/K

...or am I? :twisted:
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Norseman wrote:OOP means Out of Print... It never means Out of Package... That guy just didn't know what it really menat and assumed something else. Do we have a post with legend for all the short forms? If not we should.
Some boards have Acronym expanders. Perhaps Btown might do that.

Tho we'd need some kind of consensus on what things like NIB mean before they go in...

JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

MagickalMemories wrote:The only time *I* would accept "NIB" as meaning MIB is if the model was ALSO given the "OOP" designation.
As you're in the minority, maybe you should SIG this. :P

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

JohnHwangBT wrote:
MagickalMemories wrote:The only time *I* would accept "NIB" as meaning MIB is if the model was ALSO given the "OOP" designation.
As you're in the minority, maybe you should SIG this. :P
No need.
I'm @nal enough about my trades that I always ensure I know every bit of detail I want to know about the items I'm trading for that this would come up every time, unless the other guy misled me.

Also... sig line "trade rules" don't count.
That's why I always reiterate the "lowest rating" requirement in my communications, too. :mrgreen:

E

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Cervantes3773 ( 40 )
BTown Regular

Post by Cervantes3773 »

While I've seen OOP used as "out of print", but used inaccurately (i.e. RARE OOP DARK ELF ASSASSIN - you mean the one that I saw on the shelf at GW yesterday?), I've never heard of it to mean "out of package". While it's unfortunate that the two phrases can be made into the same acronym, if you have something out of the package, then that should be spelled out along with its condition ("loose", should be a sufficiently succinct adjective).

For NIB/MIB, they've always referred to the condition of the item, not its edition. I've always considered them interchangeable, except with a very slight difference that would only matter to collectors; "new" indicates the item is sealed, shrink-wrapped, etc but may have some damage, while "mint" indicates not only that the item is sealed but that over all is in perfect condition, for the discerning collector.

The important thing to remember here is that miniatures don't generally identify their age by their name. So, if I have "Marneus Calgar NIB", you would want to ask which one it was. If I listed either "Classic Marneus Calgar NIB" or "Marneus Calgar with Honor Guard NIB" you would know exactly which it was.

However, things like M:tG cards identify themselves. A box of 3rd ed booster packs NIB is 3rd ed booster packs. A box of Arabian Nights or Zendikar boosters NIB clearly indicates exactly what you're getting. There is no "oops, I thought you meant 1st edition Zendikar, not 4th edition Zendikar" because there hasn't been multiple editions of the same thing. If you were trading for a Magic card that appeared in multiple editions, you would indicate which edition your card came from.

What do we learn from this? Clearly describe what you have. If it's a "NIB Space Marine Captain" tell us if it's the multipart plastic kit or one of the many in a blister. If he's in a blister, tell us his pose and equipment.

Just my 2 cents.

BTers who owe me a reference:
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Also with cards and comics you need to list their condition (i.e. mint, near mint, very fine, fine, or good). BTW, if a comic or card has been touched, it is no longer in mint condition. The oily fingerprints automatically make it "near mint", if not "very fine". The only way to get a comic in mint condition is if it was sent front the printer in a sealed bag with a backboard.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

"FREE shipping" is shorthand for "Free domestic shipping" and NEVER applies Internationally.

That means you, Canada, Brazil, and anybody else outside the United States!

But really, it's easier (and safer) to simply refuse any International deals...

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

JohnHwangBT wrote:"FREE shipping" is shorthand for "Free domestic shipping" and NEVER applies Internationally.

That means you, Canada, Brazil, and anybody else outside the United States!
Oh, God, John.
I hope that was sarcasm and I just missed it.

Eric

JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Did you not see PaoloF's thread?

As Americans, the world ends at our borders, and non-Americans probably should be aware of that.

Putting down this marker will be helpful, even if it's not politically correct.

Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

The world does not end at our borders. That may be your opinion, but it isn't the view of every American.

EDIT: "Free Shipping" means just that, "Free Shipping". To anywhere. If you do not stipulate in your negotiations or in your ads that it is only "Domestic Free Shipping", or only "free shipping to certain designated countries", you are only setting yourself up for failure.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Gee, I'd think only "Free shipping worldwide" would mean free shipping anywhere in the world.

But hey, what do I know...

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”