Bartertown is (isn't?) shutting down next month - details inside.

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Buddhanutz ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Re: Bartertown is shutting down next month - details inside.

Post by Buddhanutz »

Our group will no longer be using your “free services”.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Oh, no. I can take criticism. Quite well, in fact.
What I don't stand for are attacks, though. It's all about HOW you say what you say. If you don't believe me, ask anyone who's had an issue with me and taken it, respectively, to PM.

Bee Tee Dubs, How's that free account working out for YOU?

Were you more than a casual -at best- User, you'd know me, my humor, and how I roll. Check out the responses of some of the more experienced Users, who contribute to the site beyond simply trading here (and I'm NOT talking about money), and you'll see amusement and laughter along with the admonishments. How many of THOSE did I have something to say to that was less than pleasant?

You can criticize me all you want but if this one, single thread is bringing you down that much... you need to lighten the f*ck up.
And you're not a paying User, so it's easy to say what you'd do if you were one.

What's most amusing is that I had scheduled this thread for... retirement. Now? Maybe not so much.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Budda... okay. So, you've been sending people.
Any of them support the site?

Look.. everyone is welcome here, BT+ or not. And I sincerely DO NOT take any free User for granted. Some of the members I have the best relationships with haven't put a single CENT towards the site. And I don't care a THING about that.
But you're trying to throw weight around here that you don't have.

My reply isn't professional? Neither am I. When did this become a profession? It's a bunch of gamers trading games. There's no professionalism. If that's what you expect, you misunderstood. You are at the wrong site for professionalism. This site is CASUAL.
If you want PROFESSIONAL service from staff, go sell your stuff on eBay, where the employees get paid - an actual business. Between them and PayPal, they'll be HAPPY to be professional while they take 17% of your money.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Buddhanutz ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Post by Buddhanutz »

My initial post had nothing to do with you personally. I don’t know who you are and I don’t care. My post was about the topic.

I hope the other “casuals” are getting a sense of your personality and belief about non paying members. Your post seems erratic and overly emotional- if not slightly unbalanced, Eric.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Thanks, Dr. Budda for your professional analysis.
And thanks for reading everything before replying. In light of the message before yours, re: non-paying members, you probably could've done better.

Also... I thought you weren't using the site any more?

As for the sense of my personality? I'll lay it out openly:
I'm casual. I like to laugh.
I'm honest to the point of bluntness, and believe honesty is the best policy.
Being honorable in my trades is more important to me than anything else trade related. I'll lose money on a trade, if it means keeping my word after I've given it.
I'm fiercely protective of the site and the people who use it, as can be attested to in the myriad BTRs I've helped resolve.
I like to joke.
I'm a smartass.
I am also sarcastic AS HELL.
When someone comes at me with guns blazing, as it were, I'm glad to use my powers of sarcam and smartassery for evil.
LOL

Maybe - just maybe - had your post NOT been made in the fashion it was, I wouldn't have been such a smartass.
But, you know, I'm sure you're innocent and I should've just been professional about it.

Now, don't worry. aside from gtfdragon here, there are a couple other members who are going to swoop in and eviscerate me along side you, as soon as they get wind of this thread being like this. They're not fans of people who tell them they can't be @ssholes on the site, and have decided to take it personally with me. PM me for the names, if you want, so you can alert them. I'm not going to call them out openly.

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Bartertown is (isn't?) shutting down next month - details inside.

Bee
Tee
Dubz

Updated the Subject line, so as to ensure as few hurt feelings as possible, while still remaining true to my smartass self.

Eric

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

:rulez:
Hi, I'm Rudi. I pay the bills. I have a few things to share y'all may find interesting. :-)

First and foremost: Don't Panic. The site is NOT shutting down.

Second: Eric is a troll. We haven't been able to determine exactly what sort but we're pretty sure "Internet Troll" may be in the next Monster Manual update, and it'll have his photo there. 8)

Third, a few fun facts about BT.
  • The site has been in continuous operation since 1996. 2019 will be our 23rd year of operation.
  • I sometimes get offers from business entities who want to buy the URL, the user database, etc. I'm not selling any of it.
  • I am a federal government employee, so *technically* the site is run by the gov't as they pay my salary. Fortunately I was not affected by this most recent shutdown. My sympathies if you were. :-?
  • A few years ago, I did a comparative study of Warhammer Fantasy products posted on eBay vs. Bartertown. Bartertown, on average over a 7 day period, saw posts for several thousand dollars more per day than eBay. This may explain why GW dislikes the site so strongly.
  • As a reminder, the fees our advertisers pay help keep the proverbial lights on. I make up any shortfall, and I try to put any extra back into the site or do something nice for the staff. It has been a while since I/the site was in a position to do something nice for the staff, but that's a story for another post.
It is very clear to me that Eric's initial post has stirred some strong feelings in the BT user community. Instead of getting mad at him, I encourage everyone to present ideas to help the site grow and improve. You can post it here or in the discussion forums - I'm a big fan of public discourse and I'm curious what ideas our community can generate.

Thank you all for your concern, and since I don't remember if I said it earlier - Happy 2019! :-)
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Linrandir wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 am
Second: Eric is a troll. We haven't been able to determine exactly what sort but we're pretty sure "Internet Troll" may be in the next Monster Manual update, and it'll have his photo there. 8)
I have a bridge.
No goats allowed.

Eric

HarveyDent ( 3248 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by HarveyDent »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:52 am
Linrandir wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 am
I have a bridge.
No goats allowed.

Eric
When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King
What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight
And He’ll Win The Whole Thing ‘Fore He Enters The Ring
There’s No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might
So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand
And Remember That Depth Is The Greatest Of Heights
And If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where To Land
And If You Fall It Won’t Matter, Cuz You’ll Know That You’re Right
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

Is it Trolling? Yes.
But.
Is it Effective trolling? Also Yes

My name is Paul, I have been a member for over 10 years, and I have an addiction =) . Now that I got that out of the way I have never previously donated to the site. Seeing the headline, helped me realize the benefits and perks I have received over the years and what would happen if the site was actually shutting down.

Do I get $25 of benefit from trading old unwanted models for the new addiction? Absolutely Yes
But.
Do you? If so head to viewtopic.php?f=44&t=190744
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Well said, sir.
Thank you.

Eric

bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

got me to come back and post again.....

Eric you're such a scallywag......
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I am. It's true.

In my defense, I *DID* unSticky this. You've just been gone so long that it must SEEM like news.
LOL

Eric

bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

yeah.... thinking of coming back for a big clean up. I am finally coming to the realization that I probably WON'T be making that DA complete Chapter I always wanted to make because of time and family...

just trying to figure out if I want to try and trade here for cash which may just be a long piecemeal process OR if I want to try that "40K online pawn shop" site i saw in another post...

with literally almost a chapter of DA (half still NIB) and some forgeworld...i'm leaning toward pawn site. :)

I'd love to find a painter who would do a trade in mini's for services... figure out if I can just get a nice 3000 pt army and they keep the rest or for partial payment but not having luck on that front yet either... (mainly because I don't like the paint jobs...)

I just hate that I have become a meme with 2 shelves of DA sitting around....
joedj ( 110 )
New Trader

Post by joedj »

Imagine if Bartertown had a 1% service fee on all the trades made over the years...
I personally only buy here ;)
ps. If you guys make a Bartertown patch for army bags, I'd buy one! Or several...

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”