Time for a change to Bartertown's way of life?

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Time for a change to Bartertown's way of life?

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, I'm inspired by the thread linked below to start a conversation:
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=284063&p=512583#p512583

NOTE THAT THERE ARE NO PLANNED CHANGES. THIS IS STRICTLY MEANT AS A DISCUSSION.
I'm putting it here, rather than the discussion forums, though. Since it COULD mean changes to BT, it seems more appropriate.
Note that I am posting it for the first time all (members and staff) are welcome to comment, as this is just an academic exercise, at this point.

The tl;dr of the link above is that there are a LOT more people looking to ONLY sell their models. No trades.
I'm wondering if it's time for Bartertown to adapt to this change. What do the other staff and members think about changing?

One idea I had would increase the number of forums we have. We could keep all existing forums as they are, but with a disclaimer that they are for TRADING ONLY and do one of the following:
We could make duplicate "BUY/SELL ONLY" forums of each. This would literally double the # of basic trade forums, which would REALLY add to a cluttered nature of the site.
We could make a generic "BUY/SELL ONLY" forum for each game/model type (all sci-fi, all fantasy, etc). This reduces the clutter, but the non-GW sci-fi models you're selling are going to get BURIED by the number of 40K ads that get posted.

Alternatively, only the more popular forums (WHFB/AoS, 40k, etc) could be changed in this manner. So that you have 2 40K forums, 2 WHFB/Aos forums, etc. ONLY trades would be allowed in one (if you're doing trade OR cash, it goes here) and SALE ONLY ads would go in the other (ANY trades means you can't post it in here).

Or... are there any other ideas?

Of course, "No changes are needed" is an acceptable reply, but I'd REALLY like to see any reasoning behind that opinion, as well.

Thanks for looking.
Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Re: Time for a change to Bartertown's way of life?

Post by MattHoell »

I think things are fine the way they are.

I don't know about other people's viewing habits, but I never click the actual forums, but just click the "View New Posts" link, so how things are broken us doesn't matter to me as long as people are creating clear subject lines.
Celestialpainting ( 34 )
BTown Regular

Post by Celestialpainting »

I think that it would help immensely. Then you know on the spot that X trader is only looking for cash or trade. If new forums were added, then you wouldn't have to waste time by PM ing someone for a trade and find they want cash only.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

MattHoell wrote:I think things are fine the way they are.

I don't know about other people's viewing habits, but I never click the actual forums, but just click the "View New Posts" link, so how things are broken us doesn't matter to me as long as people are creating clear subject lines.
This.

The only time I actually go into a forum is to hunt for something I want (if the search function doesn't do it for me).

Personally I'd rather not see more posts of the same thing because people sometimes ask for money AND/OR trades. Imagine if someone had an ad that covered 5 forums and wanted both cash and models? That would be 10 posts for the same thing. So unless you limited it further and have a forum for JUST cash, a forum for JUST trades and a forum for BOTH, I don't see how it would help.

I'm up for changes, but I am up for ones that benefit the site. I just don't see how this would do that.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
athelu ( 608 )
Resident Trader

Post by athelu »

MattHoell wrote:I think things are fine the way they are.

Same for me, and i have done quite a few deals on here. I think as long as people have good subject lines, or well thought out posts things are fine. I know i can often be convinced to trade for things even if i was really only looking to sell too (I am such and addict :'( )
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of changing this.

This would add clutter to the site that really isn't needed. Personally, I don't even go into the forums themselves except to post my ad in the appropriate one. All the rest of the time, I used the unread posts to look at what was posted so dividing up posts wouldn't change anything for me from a buying standpoint. From a selling standpoint, it would make more work.

If we were to make a change of any type, maybe require people to read (and, conversely, correctly use) the Want section. If someone says they want $$$ and doesn't list trade items, don't PM them with a trade request. If you only want cash, post that you only want cash. It's not terribly difficult.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

pretre wrote:[...]
If we were to make a change of any type, maybe require people to read[..]
I'd back this.

People don't read posts anymore. They browse through and if something catches their eye they PM.

I've had easily 20 potential trades this year back out because they didn't know I was in Canada. Usually the second or third line in my ad (or PM) is "I live in Canada".

I've had it for other things to.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

3eland wrote:
pretre wrote:[...]
If we were to make a change of any type, maybe require people to read[..]
I'd back this.

People don't read posts anymore. They browse through and if something catches their eye they PM.

I've had easily 20 potential trades this year back out because they didn't know I was in Canada. Usually the second or third line in my ad (or PM) is "I live in Canada".

I've had it for other things to.

Ryan
Frickin' canadians. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

3eland wrote: This.

The only time I actually go into a forum is to hunt for something I want (if the search function doesn't do it for me).

Personally I'd rather not see more posts of the same thing because people sometimes ask for money AND/OR trades. Imagine if someone had an ad that covered 5 forums and wanted both cash and models? That would be 10 posts for the same thing. So unless you limited it further and have a forum for JUST cash, a forum for JUST trades and a forum for BOTH, I don't see how it would help.

I'm up for changes, but I am up for ones that benefit the site. I just don't see how this would do that.

Ryan
Yeah. In my haste, I think I wasn't clear, or may have outright misspoken.
In the hypothetical change, a "cash or trade" post would go in the normal forum. The only change would be for "Cash only" posts. Those would only be allowed in the "Cash only" forum for the items in question.

What about a rule that stated that any ads for "cash only" MUST indicate "cash only" in the subject line. Frankly, that is kind of against the way we do things (it's borderline micromanaging - which we avoid as much as possible) but, since this is all hypothetical, I don't mind bringing up the option.

Only looking at new ads doesn't work for me. Unless I'm visiting for "Admin" reasons, I ONLY check the 40K forum unless I happen to be looking for a specific item from another area. So, seeing ALL new ads would be way more than I needed, typically.

Thanks for the input, all!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I think requiring 'Cash Only' in the subject line is a good middle ground.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

Hmm, I'm not in favor of adding more forums or more rules such as putting cash only in your title. It would seem like it would be more rules people don't want to follow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Maybe a suggested guideline that isn't enforced with banishment.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

No changes are necessary to the forum structure; merely have members put BUY or SELL in their post Subject Lines.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

I think just a guideline of put one of the following in your subjectline, would work fine and be very helpful. But no need to chastise those who don't.

WTS
WTT
WTS/T
WTB
WTB/T
etc.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

More forums I think, as I was told a while back, are not the answer.

Instead of allowing users to enter a custom field in the title line, such as 'WTS' or 'Trade only,' force (maybe force is a strong word) users to select a predefined TAG(s) (from a drop down or multiple choice selection menu) that will mark the post in some way, either in a sub title under or next to the post title. Then allow users to filter posts by whatever they like, buying only, selling only, trading, et al. Make it impossible to post without a tag selected.

Here's an example of someone who is selling 40k, but might take some Guildball stuff in trade:

H: 40k, W: Guildball
[SELLING] [TRADING]

Or, shown in an alternate way, this person who is just selling their collection:

[SELLING] H: Space Marine Army

Alternatively, you could color code the post title in some way (selling is green, trading is blue, et cetera, whatever works). Perhaps a highly visible, colored square in front of / next to the post title. You could still apply the above filter as well, so you could filter all sales, for example. Green means they're selling, blue means they're trading, the colors are arbitrary and you'd have a key at the top or bottom to remind users of the colors.

@ W: Guildball

@ H: 40k, W: Guildball

This would allow users, at a glance, to see if someone is buying, selling, trading, all of the above, whatever.

TL;DR

I think mandatory tags are the best way, alongside a filter of some sort.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”