GW paint/inks/washes CAN NOT BE MAILED USPS

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

GW paint/inks/washes CAN NOT BE MAILED USPS

Post by kturock »

I've seen several ads looking for paints/inks/washes.
Here is the official regs for mailing USPS. Note it says the bottles MUST screw closed. Friction tops must be in another container, not another box.

The following conditions apply:

Liquids. Nonhazardous liquids, creams, and pastes (particularly those in 1–gallon paint cans with only friction–top closures) are often a source of damage to other mail and postal equipment. The proper packaging of liquids is critical to ensuring the integrity of the mailpiece during handling.

All liquids are subject to the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.2.4 and the following:
Containers having friction–top closures are not acceptable by themselves. Such containers must be packed within a strong and securely sealed outer packaging.
Screw caps with a minimum of one and one–half turns, soldering clips, or other effective means must be used to ensure a secure closure.
Glass and other breakable containers more than 4 fluid ounces and any containers over 32 fluid ounces must be cushioned within a sealed, waterproof container such as a can or a plastic bag, and must be packed within a strong and securely sealed outer packaging.
Steel pails and drums with carrying handles and positive closures (e.g., locking rings or recessed spouts under screw–cap closures) may be accepted without additional packaging.

Full reg. http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_017.htm#ep290284
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Forsaken Poptart ( 578 )
Millenium Trader

Re: GW paint/inks/washes CAN NOT BE MAILED USPS

Post by Forsaken Poptart »

Great info, thanks for sharing! Is this a newer regulation?
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Forsaken Poptart wrote:Great info, thanks for sharing! Is this a newer regulation?
Depends what you call 'newer'. Airline regulations change, as do NSA's. USPS is now having to follow NSA's rules and regulations in addition to it's own, and those of the airlines. Things changed with airlines since 911.

Almost everything USPS handles flies on a commercial airline. You no longer have the choice for mail to go 'by ground'.

Also with internet business increasing, more things are being shipped than ever. People used to buy locally. Now with the internet, people shop online, even from local stores.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
usernamesareannoying ( 254 )
Expert Trader

Post by usernamesareannoying »

Just don't declare it? Are they going to open it and look at what style cap is on the bottle?
*notes about trading with me…
I do not like drawn out deals. Id like to have a deal signed and complete within 48 hours.
I abide by the unwritten rules… lower rating ships first pays first.
I always provide delivery confirmation and expect the same.
All deals are US only.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

usernamesareannoying wrote:Just don't declare it? Are they going to open it and look at what style cap is on the bottle?

NO, but when it breaks open, and damages the machine and other peoples items, and gets thrown away; don't cry because it was thrashed.

And if we hear liquid, it gets held aside. The postal inspectors and/or the local hazmat teams get called in. Sometimes shutting down the building. Then it gets opened. If it's something that's not supposed to be mailed, it gets thrown away. If its something illegal, the authorities are alerted. Sometimes the local police are called in and the shipper or receiver has to explain why they broke the regs.
I've seen people ship illegally killed animals and the State Wildlife officers, postal inspectors and federal wildlife officers were called in. I don't recall who actually arrested him.

With USPS now being under Homeland Security, things have gotten serious. Long gone are the days you could sneak drugs through the mail. The anthrax attacks put all that aside.

We just had it happen locally, after someone was receiving dehydrated rats to his religious store. The box was rotted open, and 2 people got sick. One collapsed from the chemicals. He had show his permits for selling them. I think he's being sued by several people because of it. He was embarrassed by the tv reports, and is also trying to sue them.

s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

So they can be sealed inside a Glad plastic storage container or such? Or a ziplock bag?
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Nope. Something that won't pop open by being squeezed; something that doesn't close by friction.
Both of those are friction only. Another small box, of heavy card. Not from cereal or shoe boxes. A jar or container that screws close, with and 1 half twists/turns. That's 540 degrees.

Drop a 70 pound box on your package. If it doesn't crush, you've packed it correctly.

s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

So duct-taped closed? ;)
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:So duct-taped closed? ;)
It'll still look like a ketchup packet in a fast food parking lot.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Since I was asked these in PM, here's some more answers.

All USPS mail goes on commercial airlines. It sits on the runways, tarmac and everywhere else you luggage goes. It sometimes is in non-climate controlled parts of the plane. Meaning it can freeze or explode with temperature and pressure changes. Express mail usually flies on FedEx planes. They have a contract to carry it. That's part of the deal where USPS delivers some FedEx deliveries. USPS has or had deals & contracts with UPS, Emory and every major or minor shipper in the US.

GW sends and receives it shipments via FedEx. FedEx has their own planes. They are subject to some of the same rules, but not all of them, as commercial airlines. They have more control over what gets put in what plane and what part of the plane. They also have a trucking fleet. Yes, USPS uses trucks. It hires private, contract drivers for intra-state shipments.

mysticarcher ( 470 )
Expert Trader

Post by mysticarcher »

Just tossing this out, not sure if it would be acceptable:

What about placing the paint pots in a plastic amber vial like prescriptions come in? A 20 dram vial would be about the right size with a little padding. Obviously peal off any label so it doesn't look like you're shipping actual medication.

The safety caps are a locking top and they are fairly water tight.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

mysticarcher wrote:Just tossing this out, not sure if it would be acceptable:

What about placing the paint pots in a plastic amber vial like prescriptions come in? A 20 dram vial would be about the right size with a little padding. Obviously peal off any label so it doesn't look like you're shipping actual medication.

The safety caps are a locking top and they are fairly water tight.
Almost, except most don't lock tight enough. My pill bottles only turn maybe a quarter turn.
Also remember, it won't contain the paint spill when it loses pressure on an airplane.
That's why it must turn 1 and 1/2 times; so the liquid doesn't leak out.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

So brands like Vallejo would be fine?
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Hmmm.. I just checked my Game Color paint. It was a 1 and almost 1/4 turn.
It needs to be 1 1/2.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Darn it!

So close yet so far...
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”