Damaged items from improper packing

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

mdjones607 ( 194 )
BTown Regular

Damaged items from improper packing

Post by mdjones607 »

I'm really just posting this as a "vent" and if the admins feel it doesn't belong here, or is inappropriate, they are more than free to delete this.

I've been buying, selling, and trading minis for years. Here, and elsewhere. One thing that really, really ticks me off is when people take models and toss them into plastic shopping bags and into a box with no protection. I spend literally hours packing the boxes I ship. These people spend 5 minutes on a large box and call it good. It isn't acceptable for anyone to think it is appropriate for items to arrive broken, or to ship in a manner that no one in their right mind would find acceptable if they were on the receiving end.

Needless to say, I unpacked one such box tonight. I haven't even finished going through it and there are models missing, parts missing, models damaged, broken parts, etc. I got so upset I didn't even finish doing the checks on the models. I had yet to come across a single grouping that didn't have a problem. Most of the models were in shopping bags, twisted up, and tossed into the box. There was nothing separating the heavy item in the box from the other models. There were parts and a couple broken pieces just loose in the box from how shoddy the packing was. Like I said, I haven't even finished checking all the models... I was, and still am, extremely livid.

Why is it so hard for some people to follow the "Golden Rule"? We all grew up with it, when did it start becoming ok to leave it behind? Was there some life altering event that I have yet to encounter myself that has taken that basic principle and rendered it moot?

All I'm saying is that if you're here on this site, and plan on conduction any transactions, you should do so in a manner similar to what you'd want. You are responsible for what you send the other person, it is never right for them to pick up a mess or to receive items in a condition other than stated... We all have an obligation to keep this a safe, respectable place to conduct trades and sales. We all have an obligation to our trade/sale partners.

We all need to put ourselves into the shoes of the other person before shipping. If you wouldn't be alright on the opposite side of the table, than you're not doing the right thing.
I follow the Golden Rule. Please do the same.
When shipping, please pack items in the same manner you would want them packed when receiving them.
If anything is missing or broken, please state so prior to finalizing a deal.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Re: Damaged items from improper packing

Post by tordeck »

It happens. It shouldn't but it does. Had it happen to me recently in fact. Best bet is take a moment, calm down and go back to logging all the issues. Take some photos, figure out everything that's missing and contact your trade partner. Calmly explain the situation and what they can do to fix it to your satisfaction. Hopefully if you handle it with tact then the other person will step up and do the right thing. Otherwise in my, totally not a staff member what so ever, opinion then you would be in the right with filing a BTR.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
Sinjin ( 182 )
BTown Regular

Post by Sinjin »

That sucks. And at some point, it becomes not even a worthwhile trade anymore cause they are never going to make it 'right enough' to compensate you for all your time fixing everything. I would simply tell the other person that this is unacceptable and you don't want models in this condition. He can either send you models in the stated condition, or send you money to ship the stuff back to him.

time is just way to valuable.

-Jeff
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I was once one of those people and luckily someone set me straight (coughMMcough). The important part is to explain it and look to sort it out with the other person. Most people want to do right by trades.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Which kind of person were you? Crappy packer or "went off the chains when receiving crappy packing?" I don't remember.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:Which kind of person were you? Crappy packer or "went off the chains when receiving crappy packing?" I don't remember.

Eric
Crappy packing. :)

There was the matter of the venoms...
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Both Sinjin and Tordeck make valid points.

It shouldn't happen period.

I would definitely bring it to the attention of your trader. He is responsible in having the items reach you in the same state as you agreed upon. If they arrive broken, missing, etc, he has not fulfilled his side of the trade agreement until you are 100% content. The odd bent pole, broken arm thing is one thing (yes I agree well packaged models shouldn't break, but the occasional thing might happen due to rough handling in the shipping process - As Kturock once said, the packages go through the sorter at incredible speeds) however having multiple bags with models thrown in or worse is unacceptable.

You have a few options really. You can take pictures of everything you received, let your trade partner know it is unacceptable and ship them back. He would have to pay the shipping as it was his responsibility in the first place. He would also have to ship everything back to you (or reimburse you through whatever source of pay you provided him).

Another option is to sort everything, take pictures, and present to him what you believe it would take to fix everything. If everything is there and repairable that is one thing, if things are beyond repair, it would be his responsibility to fix it.

The biggest thing is to remember to keep your cool. It's frustrating, even infuriating, but when approaching a person about things they have done/not done it is always in your best interest to be calm and communicative about it. Explain it to them why you are upset and what you would like happen. Communicate with them until an agreement can be made, if one cannot, you are in your right to seek out additional help via the staff and/or the BTR forum.

I know exactly what you're feeling. I have 3 huge garbage bags filled with bubble wrap (my mother works in a motor part factory and so I get her to pick up all the packaging they use on the crates -only the clean stuff though!), I also always buy the Post Office supplied boxes so I know exactly what I am dealing with each time. I individually wrap every model with bubble wrap and space them evenly to maximize their security (with peanuts,bubble spacers,etc when/where needed). I will literally spend hours sitting on the floor to do so. I also take pictures of everything as I package so I can show my trade partner/buyer in case they are concerned. I track and insure all my packages that are worth something (random single bits obviously not, but even bags of bits I ensure -This is to protect both me and the buyer). I then always follow up with my trade partner after the package has been received if they have not already done so with me.

Why do I do all this? Because it makes me feel good, and it shows my trade partner that I respect them as a trader/buyer and I enjoyed doing business with them. Plus, they deserve exactly what they traded/bought!

I have received many items/trades where things were loose or thrown together. I had a trade where some metal models were put into a Ziploc bag with very little padding. The models had arms and things missing (but in the bag). It's inexcusable and I always bring it up with my trade partner. I personally don't mind the little work needed to fix them, but I always ensure they are contacted about it.

In the end, you deserve to be given exactly what you agreed on. Anything shy and you are in the right to contact your partner to work something out. It's only fair. If, for some reason, they do not want to work something out, you should post a BTR and leave feedback. I (personally) strongly believe that traders should know exactly who they are dealing with. If a person has done this to you, it is only fair to assume they will do it to someone else (or have done so in the past). With knowing who you are dealing with via the BTR Forum, Back-out/Deadbeat Forum or References, you can greatly understand a person's trading practises and will know what to expect. If you (collective not targeted) simply decide not to leave anything, you are hurting other members in any future trades with that person. Even if they do come to an agreement and make it right, leaving a negative reference is just as good. Either way, explaining what happened will greatly help everyone else.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

If I were you, I'd start writing it into your pre-trade agreement. "This is how to package miniatures," or some such. "If you don't properly pack your box, I reserve the right to refuse the trade and you must agree to this prior to our trade or there is no trade." Most people will think twice about how they pack after that.

Just a thought.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”