What do I do if the trade is missing parts?

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Hiflt4 ( 74 )
BTown Regular

What do I do if the trade is missing parts?

Post by Hiflt4 »

So I recently did a big trade, and when I got my package everything was there and in good condition save for 100x of a basic core model type.
The sender swears up and down it was shipped with everything else.

Any suggestions about what I can do about this?
I already nicely asked him to double check his packing area incase it was left out on accident.
Want it but cant afford it now? Send me a Non refundable Deposit of 25 USD and ill hold it for you for as long as 45 days.
Made a deal but now cant afford it? Just frankly let me know we can do a payment plan, or work something out. Just don't leave me hanging with no communication.

Thx
osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

Re: What do I do if the trade is missing parts?

Post by osloco »

You could source how much it would cost to pay for the parts if you had to purchase them. It may provide some motivation, or just give them a number to chew on. Did you double check the box they sent the models in? The parts arent stuck in the box bottom?
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
Hiflt4 ( 74 )
BTown Regular

Post by Hiflt4 »

a part of the trade * I am missing 100 complete models 28mm scale* would be roughly 220$ at retail price.
I double checked the boxes.
Want it but cant afford it now? Send me a Non refundable Deposit of 25 USD and ill hold it for you for as long as 45 days.
Made a deal but now cant afford it? Just frankly let me know we can do a payment plan, or work something out. Just don't leave me hanging with no communication.

Thx
dbqeldar ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by dbqeldar »

There were multiple boxes? Did you verify from the sender how many boxes there should be and confirm you have actually received all of them. It's possible in transit the boxes got separated and one box hasn't been delivered yet.
Hiflt4 ( 74 )
BTown Regular

Post by Hiflt4 »

It was 2 boxes roughly apple box sized. The situation has concluded in this case, the sender found the box near his packing station; it was accidently left out.

This is now a theoretical situation where its his word vs mine.
Any suggestions for after asking to check again nicely.

Thx
Sinjin ( 182 )
BTown Regular

Post by Sinjin »

Situations like this can and do happen, but at least for me they are very rare. Had the situation not resolved itself, the place to start would have been to place a BTR so that an admin can get involved. At least then both parties are dealing with someone neutral that will help resolve the situation.

If you shipped/paid first, this is really your only recourse, outside of filing for mail fraud or contacting the police (which shouldn't be done until you at least try to resolve it through a BTR). If they shipped first, you can refuse to ship your side of the trade until you have received everything that was promised in the trade agreement, or offer to send the stuff back (at their expense).

As far as your word against his I'm not sure. I would think as far as the site admins go they would tend to favor the trader with the higher rep, but that is only a guess. Thankfully the vast majority of people on this site are fair, and mostly honest, as I've never actually heard of someone trying to pull the 'send them a brick' trick. But this is why REP is so important, and I would encourage all new traders to only trade with high rep or well established traders on large deals like this seems to have been, at least until your own rating is high enough so you're not sending first.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Sinjin wrote:Situations like this can and do happen, but at least for me they are very rare. Had the situation not resolved itself, the place to start would have been to place a BTR so that an admin can get involved. At least then both parties are dealing with someone neutral that will help resolve the situation.
A BTR is never the place to START. It should ALWAYS be seen as a last measure in cases where you and your trade aprtner are trying to work it out. A BTR should only be filed in cases where you're looking at having been shorted and the other party is not trying to work with you, you sent your half but didn't receive theirs, or things like that.
A BTR is a serious thing here and should not be viewed as a simple tool to get staff involved.

Better would be to do exactly what he did and post a public thread asking for input. Second best is to PM an Admin and ask for assistance directly.

Sinjin wrote:If you shipped/paid first, this is really your only recourse, outside of filing for mail fraud or contacting the police (which shouldn't be done until you at least try to resolve it through a BTR). If they shipped first, you can refuse to ship your side of the trade until you have received everything that was promised in the trade agreement, or offer to send the stuff back (at their expense).
Again, you should try EVERYTHING in your power to work it out before looking at legal recourse.

In a situation like this, it's pretty easy. Weigh everything. Weight the boxes, models, packing material... everything.
If what you SAY you received matches the weight of what his receipt says he sent, then it's clear that you're being honest. In that case, the sender needs to man up and get cracking on making things right.
On the other hand, if your weight comes up drastically short, it's clear that you're full of it or made a mistake.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”