How to ship miniatures?

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

SaintSlayer ( 318 )
Journeyman Trader

How to ship miniatures?

Post by SaintSlayer »

Hi Bartertown! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to ship miniatures. I've been a long time buyer here but never taken the plunge to sell my minis until now. So any information advice on how to ship and what supplies to use in order to avoid damage minis during shipping would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
My offers are good for 24 hours
Positive References owed to me:
osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

Re: How to ship miniatures?

Post by osloco »

Howdy! There is a thread somewhere that was made for exactly this. Long story short, don't cheap out on shipping materials. I usually wrap every model in bubble wrap and tape so it is secure. I then place them in a sturdy box padded with bubble wrap and/or peanuts. Make sure that the box doesn't rattle at all after you have packed it and taped it shut. I always imagine this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2sObM9p9mQ) happening to every package I send. So far this has worked very well for me with only minimal damage happening. Ill go look for that thread now.
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
SaintSlayer ( 318 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by SaintSlayer »

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to use bubble wrap and peanuts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Sinjin ( 182 )
BTown Regular

Post by Sinjin »

I individually wrap each figure in some form of paper. Newspaper or paper towel works just fine. Put a layer of packing material in the bottom of the box, foam peanuts if you have them, crinkled up newspaper works fine too. lay the wrapped figures on the packing material neatly, but so they are nice and tight. fill in all spaces with more packing material so nothing moves.

in general terms, you want to isolate built figures from other figures, and make sure everything in the box is locked in tight.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

As kturock can attest, crumpled up paper does not make good packing material. It compresses easily, leaving room in the box for your stuff to move around.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

A huge roll of bubble wrap is $17.00 at Wal-Mart. Appropriate boxes (6x6x6 and 11x8x6) are about $0.50/ea. I highly recommend getting these things.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I depending on the models. If I'm shipping a new in box models, I putting in a shipping box with something to stop the box from moving. Loose pieces are put in small little baggies (I keep all the ones I get from various purchases). Depending on the model will depend how much I wrap it, minimum is bubble wrap, however if it is a larger model or metal I try to wrap the individual parts and then wrap the whole thing.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
SaintSlayer ( 318 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by SaintSlayer »

Thanks for the heads up on the bubble wrap, Ill check my local Wal Mart for them.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

Sinjin wrote:I individually wrap each figure in some form of paper. Newspaper or paper towel works just fine.
No they don't. Neither of them will absorb or deflect any impact damage. They will compress and transfer the damage to whatever they are wrapped around. The fact that you haven't had any of your paper wrapped minis shatter is just good luck. :-D

As several people have noted, bubble wrap is dirt cheap in bulk and there is no real reason not to use it
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

You can make packing peanuts by buying cheap styrofoam coolers.
Just break them into tiny pieces. To have less mess, put them into garbage bags and seal them closed.

You can make custom shaped padding by using Great Stuff. It's a foam in a can available at most home repair stores.

1 of the biggest tool & parts retailers uses an inflatable stryofoam packet. You pull it open and toss it into the box. The plastic bag fills with foam and hardens. It custom fits to the item and box.
You can do the same with a can of great stuff, and a ziplock bag. Put the straw from the can of great stuff into the bag. Seal the bag as much as you can, even using tape or staples to hold it closed. Put into the box and fold the box closed. Seal it masking tape. Spray the great stuff into the bag until full. Peak through the corner the straw is sticking into. It dries and hardens in seconds. The bag keeps it from sticking to the item and box. It's only 1 use, but it's great for delicate items.

You can make the 'air bags' by filling ziplock up with air and using the to fill space.

You can also crumple the plastic grocery/mart store bags to fill space. Crumple them all the way to a ball. They'll work for stuff you just need to fill space, but not really pad; like items NIB or even NOS if not to delicate.

Also, don't scrimp on the box. Model and shoe boxes are crap. Use corragated cardboard boxes.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Some great advice, as usual.
I only take exception to one piece of it.
kturock wrote:You can make the 'air bags' by filling ziplock up with air and using the to fill space.

...I have received SO MANY boxes with empty ziplocs, it's crazy. All the knocking around can eventually cause the zipper seal to pop, leaving the space it USED to be occupying empty.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:You can do the same with a can of great stuff, and a ziplock bag. Put the straw from the can of great stuff into the bag. Seal the bag as much as you can, even using tape or staples to hold it closed. Put into the box and fold the box closed. Seal it masking tape. Spray the great stuff into the bag until full. Peak through the corner the straw is sticking into. It dries and hardens in seconds. The bag keeps it from sticking to the item and box. It's only 1 use, but it's great for delicate items.
Great stuff hardens hard though (I know that sounds redundant). It doesn't have any give. If you're not careful, it's like packing your models with light bricks all around them.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Yes it dries hard. I'm not saying to use it for padding, like bubble wrap. It makes a custom shaped container.
Grainger, 1 of the biggest tool and parts distributors in the US, uses a packet material that forms to the size of the box. It's not a soft pad.
It hold the parts or items in place. This is a way to make them your self.
This custom shapes or forms to the shape of the item.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

kturock wrote:You can also crumple the plastic grocery/mart store bags to fill space.
They don't have a lot of stiffness though so they don't fill space very well. I always look out for real estate flyers at my local supermarket. They tend to be free, in large quantities and fairly decent paper stock. They make great box fillers if you don't have access to packing peanuts.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

but when you pack enough in, they become like a solid mass of plastic.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”