UPS Brokerage fees..... did I get ripped off?

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: UPS Brokerage fees..... did I get ripped off?

Post by jul »

as a side note, i sent recently new FW items to Canada by UPS overnight. we got axed by them and they asked almost 600$ in customs fees and brokerage the value of the package was over 1000$. After a couple of faxes and phone calls, we brought the proof that all items were under 60 CAD value so the sale tax fees were not applicable and then we brought also the proof that FW items are not available to purchase in Canada so that voided the custom fees. They waived the brokerage fees as a recognition of their mistake.
One thing we learned that time is to accurately described the content item by item with individual values. One other thing also is that i shipped from a non-profit organisation to a for-profit organisation and that triggered the mess (i have a higher education UPS account which waive most of tax fees when i ship stuff internationally).

it took us a lot of research to figure out the proper importation regulations but sending a link to FW website FAQ helped a lot. it's a little bit tricky but most of the UPS guys don't want to bother if you bring the proper documentation.

Also never, never, never mark a package as a gift if it's not one....

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
Wag-A-Tail ( 6 )
BTown Regular

Post by Wag-A-Tail »

What happened and why did it happen? What exactly are brokerage fees? What are the fees based on? How do you avoid them?
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Wag-A-Tail wrote:What happened and why did it happen? What exactly are brokerage fees? What are the fees based on? How do you avoid them?

I guess since you're a new trader, you might have missed something in this thread.
I'll try to answer the questions 1 at a time for you.

What happened and why did it happen? Simple. United Parcel Service charges a fee to transport packages into Canada, and other countries, from the US.

What exactly are brokerage fees? See above.

What are the fees based on? An arbitrary scale based upon what UPS considers the items worth.

How do you avoid them? Simple Don't ship UPS. Ship USPS. Make sure you correctly fill out the customs forms. What we on Bartertown trade is usually used toys. If the items are NIB, well they're not used. I always suggest you open the box and remove the plastic wrap. Then it's not new. Customs department in all countries charge a fee, an import tax, on most all items coming into the country. Certain items have a low[er] or no fee.

I hope this answers your questions.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I recently found the magic bullet to avoid hefty brokerage fees, with the help of a UPS Customer Service Rep.

I have been stung with hefty fees multiple times in the past, and only this time did I get pissed off enough to make a call and scream at them.

This brokerage fee is purely a money grab for UPS for doing about 5 minutes of work you can do yourself.

All you have to do if you have been charged brokerage fees you do not want to pay is to refuse shipment and contact UPS about your shipment and say you want to do the brokerage yourself. They will send you the correct paperwork, and you have to get it filled out at your Canada Customs Office in your city. You get them filled out pay your Taxes on the item if necessary, and they will stamp your customs paperwork. Takes like 5 min. Send the paperwork back to UPS, and they will release the package without the brokerage fee.

Holy crap I have wasted hundreds of dollars on brokerage over the years. I think i'm gunna go buy myself a titan with all the money im gunna save.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Norseman wrote:I recently found the magic bullet to avoid hefty brokerage fees, with the help of a UPS Customer Service Rep.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
usps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Pwned.

So, is this something you have to do every time, or is it a "one time deal" that will cover all future shipments?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I'm another that falls into the don't use UPS/FedEx for shipping. If you do not tell them not to, they will choose to act as your broker for customs (even if it's duty free) and will charge you a brokerage fee.

As a bit of advice, a shipment of "used plastic toys" is duty free. Most out of box models will fall under this. I always ship Canada post/USPS
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

MagickalMemories wrote:So, is this something you have to do every time, or is it a "one time deal" that will cover all future shipments?
The UPS drivers here refuse to do this as they either say they don't have the forms, there isn't a local office etc.

The best thing to do is just us your local postal service and avoid firms like Fed-Ex and UPS.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”