Things I've learned being new to selling on Bartertown

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Things I've learned being new to selling on Bartertown

Post by frankcastle »

1) edit your post if you need to add new information rather than add a second post as that can be construed as bumping.
2) no links to ebay
3) don't type pms on a smartphone autocorrect can change things from shipping to shipped.....they can mean two different things.... or at least proof read :)
4) don't assume that the buyer has read all your posts.... you may have made a mistake in one post and subsequent posts you use the correct info, however that doesn't mean they have clued in on the change in information
5) if you want payment up front state it in your ads
6) don't model your ad based on ones you've seen before..... this is how I got in the mess about payment up front as that's how my whopping 3 purchases went so I assumed it was the norm
7) you don't have to ship first before payment, however as a new seller you may limit your sale potential so do what you are comfortable with (and see #5)
8 ) for sellers in Canada in a pm provide all the necessary info for the seller to verify the shipping costs as US sellers can be surprised at how much it costs

Question to buyers? Let's say your seller has a low rating and wants to do the deal through ebay (at no extra cost) so that payment can be up front and mediated by ebay is that a turn off?

Anyways, hope this might help any new sellers who might see this.
eman1_2 ( 278 )
Resident Trader

Re: Things I've learned being new to selling on Bartertown

Post by eman1_2 »

frankcastle wrote: Question to buyers? Let's say your seller has a low rating and wants to do the deal through ebay (at no extra cost) so that payment can be up front and mediated by ebay is that a turn off?
I would immediately continue browsing, and not even consider doing a deal with that seller. If you cannot trust my rating here, I am not going to jump through any hoops by dealing with Ebay.

I have been ripped off by more Ebay sellers than people with ratings of 4 here.
Mike

- A simple 'not interested' to a trade offer is just being polite. It helps people setting up multiple trades know where they stand.
- Google something for someone, they get an answer. Teach someone how to Google their own answer, they own the Internet.
DenverZeppo ( 64 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by DenverZeppo »

Question to buyers? Let's say your seller has a low rating and wants to do the deal through ebay (at no extra cost) so that payment can be up front and mediated by ebay is that a turn off?
I'm flying right past that ad. If I wanted to use FeeBay I'd use FeeBay. My experiences there have been miserable more often than not.

For the record, I'm also flying right by an ad where a 0-10 rating wants pay first, and probably not paying any seller with a rating below mine before I see my merchandise.
I am happy to send first if your rating and references warrant that.

People I owe refs to:
People who owe me refs: seththelost
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

Thanks for the reply guys! I'm a bit shocked as I've had nothing but positive ebay experiences.

The only thing I found with ebay was that as a Canadian seller my profit was smaller as shipping to the US costs more for me so to be competitive with US sellers I had to drop my prices. That said it also opened me up to a much larger market.
Last edited by frankcastle on Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

For me it isn't that I have had negative eBay experiences, it is that I don't feel like dealing with eBay. I have spent a lot of time and effort to build up good history here and I like the way that deals go down here. Why should I have to go somewhere else?
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

pretre wrote:For me it isn't that I have had negative eBay experiences, it is that I don't feel like dealing with eBay. I have spent a lot of time and effort to build up good history here and I like the way that deals go down here. Why should I have to go somewhere else?
That's interesting too. I think people take great pride in their ratings which is why if I chose to not honour it they get upset.

And for me the flipside is I feel the same way about ebay that you guys feel about btown. Had I known about this place a few years ago maybe my rating would be high instead of over on ebay.

BTW I'm just speaking in general, so while quoting you I'm not directing the comment at you.

However, I will direct one thing at you. Why go elsewhere? Because the seller wants to provide you with confidence that they are legit.

Ultimatlely, it's about comfort level and I'm probably going to be a btown buyer and an ebay seller.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

frankcastle wrote:However, I will direct one thing at you. Why go elsewhere? Because the seller wants to provide you with confidence that they are legit.

Ultimatlely, it's about comfort level and I'm probably going to be a btown buyer and an ebay seller.
If you want to inspire the confidence of a good rating, put in the work. None of us sprang up fully-formed with an awesome rating; we all traded our way to where we are.

You want to convince people that you are legit on BT? Communicate well and swiftly. Honor all of your trades and go above and beyond. Ship quickly. Pay quickly. Accept that you currently have a low rating and bend a bit when dealing with people with higher ratings.

In no time, you'll have a higher rating and a good rep. That's how I did it.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

pretre wrote: You want to convince people that you are legit on BT? Communicate well and swiftly. Honor all of your trades and go above and beyond. Ship quickly. Pay quickly. Accept that you currently have a low rating and bend a bit when dealing with people with higher ratings.

In no time, you'll have a higher rating and a good rep. That's how I did it.
^^^^
He gets it.
frankcastle wrote: Question to buyers? Let's say your seller has a low rating and wants to do the deal through ebay (at no extra cost) so that payment can be up front and mediated by ebay is that a turn off?
I understand this impulse--you want to take measures to protect yourself, in this case by associating yourself with the legitimacy of eBay. This way, you get the money upfront, and your buyer benefits from eBay's seller protection (which, despite many anecdotes to the contrary, has come through for me when I've needed it).

What you are failing to recognize, however, is that trades on Bartertown don't require more legitimacy. Bartertown is legit. That's not to say that there aren't bad apples or problems, but we (the staff AND the members) take an active role in policing our community. So long as a few steps are taken by each party to a transaction (full contact info, processing PayPal payment as a purchase), there is a very good chance that, if you rip someone off here, we WILL FIND YOU AND F.U.C.K. UP YOUR $HIT. This is not a perfect system (though neither is eBay), but it works in the overwhelming number of cases.

Why? Because this is a community. We trade with each other, often multiple times. We give meaningful feedback. We actively GIVE FEEDBACK. High rated traders earned those ratings by being good traders. This buys a certain amount of convenience AND security. I know that my transactions are safe as the send/pay second party, and my lower rated partners know they are safe BECAUSE I want to keep making secure transactions. If I rip someone off, it is very likely that I will no longer be able to make trades, and, if I do, I will be sending first.

I do send first still; there are traders rated higher than me, and I look at their feedback, and, so long as it's clean, I send without a second thought, because I know that they want to keep making secure trades.

It is this system of mutual self-interest that keeps this system working.

On eBay, I can get negrefs and keep on trading; that is difficult if not impossible here.

In short, what I'm telling you is that you don't need more legitimacy to cover your a$$ than is offered by simply following the tested and true method dominantly in use here.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask questions, or get referrals, or do your due diligence by checking the BTR forum and a user's refs, or that you should send blindly onto a fellow low-rated (but higher than you) trader.

But it does mean, frankly, that you shouldn't buck the system. The system works.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

And to actually answer your question--unless I really REALLY wanted the item, I would pass. I buy on eBay, I buy here. I shop in each environment for different reasons.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

So far, this thread has been quite cordial. The subject at hand, however, is one that people get very... passionate... about. I'd just like to remind people to keep discussions civil and avoid personal attacks. So far, you've done that... I just want to be sure it continues.

At this point, I have nothing of value to specifically add to the discussion, as every thing I'd have said has already been said... and quite well.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

Thanks for the input sorrow.

No one was trying to buck the system. All suggestions I made were within the boards parameters. And the question was for my edification.

Guess my concern is that I have probably $1000 of Retribution of Scryah, $700 khador, $800 menoth, $700 chaos space marines.....when the time comes to sell so guy with a rating of 8 (to my 6) shows up. Where is the line for deciding on who is credible? Did he make 4 purchases for $10 decks and tokens?

Seems like a risky proposition.

I'm by no means saying things should change on my accord. I'm just sharing my feelings. I appreciate hearing what people have to say about ebay as I'm not a shareholder and it's interesting as someone who sells stuff from time to time.

And it goes without saying that since I prefer ebay that will be the route when it comes time to sell that stuff (for now I'm happying playing with it) :)

Edit: I'm guessing the answer is to only sell to a person with a high rating for my own piece of mind.

edit: I understand that you have to put in the time but it's not practical for the casual gamer like me who probably is tapped out on purchases and is selling a small number of items. Again save your tears :) not asking for sympathy just pointing out that this site is best suited for those who are probably more hardcore about gaming than I am. That is not meant ot be any sort of an insult so please don't read it that way. Just not everyone has the same amount of time and money for the hobby.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

frankcastle wrote: Guess my concern is that I have probably $1000 of Retribution of Scryah, $700 khador, $800 menoth, $700 chaos space marines.....when the time comes to sell so guy with a rating of 8 (to my 6) shows up. Where is the line for deciding on who is credible? Did he make 4 purchases for $10 decks and tokens?

Seems like a risky proposition.
It is!

Where's the line? It's not absolute. But I look at: Join Date, raw number of Refs, are there Neutrals or Negatives, and what do users say about the trader. I also evaluate what they are like as a poster on the boards if they participate.

In terms of round numbers though, 50+ refs and a couple years on board is pretty good; 100+ and 4+ years is almost always a safe bet, other data notwithstanding.

But I will say this--it would be a rare trader--like porkuslime, Steven H., YoungWolf777--that I would send $1000 worth of figs to straight up.

How would I do that trade? In manageable parts.

I would get all the contact info, including work info. I would send $200 or so worth of figs (maybe as much as $500 for a really well known trader), INSURED, with delivery confirmation, get the money, and then send the second half (or one of the remaining fifths).

I would send first--but I would do it carefully and responsibly.
frankcastle wrote: I'm guessing the answer is to only sell to a person with a high rating for my own piece of mind.
That's one option--and peace of mind is a precious thing.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

LOL you're right that's a rare breed but in fairness I'd probably sell at 50% MSRP however at that rate it's still significant.

In any case those are good suggestions.

Thank you.

Edit: thanks for pointing out join date I didnt think about that for guys like me who 5 years from now probably won't have a ton of transactions under the belt

Speaking of which. Is there a way to find out what people bought or how much they have spent?
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

frankcastle wrote:<SNIP>

Speaking of which. Is there a way to find out what people bought or how much they have spent?
Only from what has been said in the references about that person. Some people like to post exactly what happened down to dollar amounts and model count, others simply say "good trade, fast shipping, would trade again" or something along those lines
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

frankcastle wrote: Speaking of which. Is there a way to find out what people bought or how much they have spent?
The short answer is "no."

But as mentioned, browsing through references can often reveal information.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”