Experience of low rated trader and solutions?

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

undeadsoldier ( 126 )
Journeyman Trader

Experience of low rated trader and solutions?

Post by undeadsoldier »

Hey btown,

I really think that there needs to be more guidelines for new traders, although I know everyone was new at some point, I am just fed up with them. Here is an example from my latest purchase: I buy Tau (hopped on bandwagon:P) from a 0 reference person and being an optimist I am not worried.

So the first issue is they live in Canada, which I didn't know. So I say alright ill pay the extra shipping, seems like a good deal still. I receive pictures, which weren't the best but the models seemed fine, nothing a seasoned hobbyist can't fix! I pay promptly, takes a while for them to ship but no problem, I can wait.

Then, the package arrives. My wife tells me I have a package (Darn! She saw it!), she asks what is it? I look down...hmm looks like a bomb. The box is all sorts of messed up, but being an optimist I think nothing of it. The true horror starts when I open the box..There is bubble wrap, some paper sure but in all the wrong places. Almost all of the models are broken, nothing as seasoned hobbyist can't fix! Until I start to inspect closer. Almost all the models are are glued with some sort of messed up superglue protruding out of every joint. Nothing an experienced hobbyiest...eh screw it.

I am used to models breaking in transit, that is part of shipping but compounding it with horrible models just really takes me over the edge. Now If I knew I were buying models that looked like crap I would be fine and would have payed less.

Is there any way possible to help fix this issue, sans just not trading with lower level people? Guides are great, if people read them. Perhaps a probationary period for new traders? I need some advice, because now that I have 200 dollars worth of crappy looking models I say to myself should I really deal with a low level again?
We gave up that life long dream.....for plastic, resin and metal soldiers.
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Experience of low rated trader and solutions?

Post by Imaginos »

Unfortunately there is a relative bit involved here. For some folks, you might be considered low level too. I'd be hesitant to put any extra stipulations given how bad people are with following the simple directions.

The safest and best method is to ask questions up front. Ask how they are glued / assembled. If the pictures they send don't cut it, ask for more. Just don't waste their time without a real intention to purchase if they meet a decent quality. With these questions answered, you can go back to them with the items not as described. If they don't want to work it out, you can then file with Paypal as item not as described. Keep the emails and discussions.

I've recently hit a point where I will not pay up front unless I've dealt with the other person (or unless they have a better trade rating without negatives).
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I feel you just had a really crappy trader(s) as not all of us low rating people are that bad. Having the rest of us who ensure packaging is spot on and taking good pictures/labeling properly take a hit because of a few people who don't put any care into their shipping is, imo, not fair. Unless you mean new/low as in created in the last month with no previous experience traders which then I will just shut my yap :wink: ;)

Although I can understand what you are getting at with crappy pictures, potatoes don't work too well when trying to show of assembly, painting and over-all quality of a model. Guides work great, but like you said only if people read them, even the site rules have been broken over and over again because people don't read (and this is done by both new people and regulars). Now although it is not a rule (and it makes me twitch every time someone says it's a bartertown rule) having lower rating people ship first would help solve your issues to a degree; by receiving the package and fully inspecting it you can determine if it is what you had agreed upon.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my 2 cents anyways. Hopefully all works out well.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Depending on the communication and such before hand, I would be asking for a fairly substantial refund of my purchase price in that case. I have (and will continue to) requested refunds when I received items in a shape or condition that were not as described by the seller. On the same side, I have offered and given partial refunds when someone was unsatisfied with the condition of what I sold.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

If you got a poorly packed box full of broken figs, then send them back and get a refund.

In this case, I would advise that you eat return shipping for simplicity's sake.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

The other trader IS responsible for accurately describing his figures, and it does not sound like that was so.

Rule 4a!
Rule 4a: You are also responsible for accurately describing all items that you are trading or selling.
That includes version, condition, assembly status, converted or not, painted or not, any missing pieces and any other information you think might be helpful. Failure to do so may result in the other party filing a Backout Trader or Bad Trader report against you.
I would be in serious contact with that person asap.

-P
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

At one point I posted a 'How to package' post. Dunno what happened to it.
I had a HD crash and lost the original material.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'd also like to point out that, while you are not at fault for what arrived, you could have done some things to make this situation easier for you.

1) Establish prices, including shipping, before agreeing on a deal. His location won't matter, at that point.
2) He's new and in a foreign country, yet you paid in advance. That was your biggest error, right there.
3) Did the pictures not show the "messed up superglue protruding out of every joint?" If so, then you got what you should have expected. If the pics were blurry, then you should have asked for better pics. If the pics were clear, but the pics did not show the issues, then you've got a shady trader on your hands.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
undeadsoldier ( 126 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by undeadsoldier »

:) very fast replies. He sent pictures which weren't blury just too far away to see details. I don't really want to ship them back because it costs 50$. I still got an ok deal, just going to have to invest a lot of hobby time! They replied really quickly stated they were sorry and asked how they could fix the problem.. I let them know to update their location, gave packaging tips and how being accurate is important. I suppose I will just have to be more careful! I don't want to give the person a bad reference so I don't know. Thanks for the help everyone! Bartertown is the best!
We gave up that life long dream.....for plastic, resin and metal soldiers.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

Maybe ask for a partial refund in this case.

-P
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”