Bartertown Trade Terms Glossary

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Bartertown Trade Terms Glossary

Post by porkuslime »

I. INTRODUCTION

The following is a glossary of terms designed to aid in the effective and comprehensive description of trade items on Bartertown. The goal is to provide a common frame of reference so that participants in a trade will be "speaking the same language". While the use of these terms is not considered a requirement, these terms will be considered "official" by the staff when evaluating disputes.

The list is not exhaustive, and in all cases it is better to over describe your items rather than under describing them. The more terms you use from this list, the better. Also - pictures, pictures, pictures!

II. GENERAL TRADING TERMS

Sender - Person sending the item. This might be for a trade or sale.
Recipient - Person receiving the item. This might be for a trade or sale.

Availability:

OOP - Out Of Production or Out of Print (NOT Out of Package) - means that the miniature is NOT being made anymore by any manufacturer.
LE - Limited Edition
E or Ed - Edition (ex., 2ed, 3e, 4th Ed, etc)
Current - Item is the present, most recent, in production version.

Packaging:

NIS - New, In Shrinkwrap - Never opened, original manufacturer packing.
NIB - New, In Box (or Blister) - Might have been opened. ALL parts, bases and Instructions present.
NOS - New, On Sprue - Out of package, no part removed from sprue. Might not have instructions or bases.
Loose - Out of box, off of sprue.

Condition:

Unassembled - Never been put together, all parts separate.
Assembled - Put together, modified by quality (poorly etc) and status (partially, completely).
Disassembled - Previously put together, now back in pieces, modified by quality and status as above.
Converted - This model is not in it's standard configuration. May contain parts from other models, kits, manufacturers and/or custom sculpting.
Damaged - Broken spear tips, extremities, gun barrels, etc.

Complete - All parts included in the original package are present (instructions, bases, etc).
Incomplete - Some original parts missing, indicate which are present and which aren't.

Paintjob:

Bare - Never been painted, nor stripped. Might still have mold release on it.
Primed/Primered - Model has been spray or brush primed only. Primer over paint does not qualify unless specifically described as such.
Painted - Currently has paint on it (descriptors here would describe the paint "well, poorly, partially").
Stripped - Has been through at least one attempt to clean paint off. May have patchy paint from a prior scheme on it (descriptors here would describe the stripping "well, poorly, partially").

Material:

Metal/Resin/Plastic - The material(s) the model is made from. Note that metal models may contain lead.

III. BOOKS (Books are presumed to have their front cover unless otherwise noted.)

Condition:

Mint - Better than new. Collector quality.
New - Same condition as having bought directly from a store shelf
Used - Item shows minor indications of wear. Details should be provided.
Poor - Item shows major indications if wear (cracked spine, torn pages, torn or creased cover). Details should be provided.
Written in - One or more non-erasable marks have been made in the book. This can vary from initials on the inside cover to extensive highlighting - be specific.

Note - Pages in some manufacturers' rulebooks frequently come loose from the binding. Make sure you state if this is the case.

Availability:

LE - Limited Edition
Signed - Autographed by someone who is not the owner, unless the owner is famous ("internet famous" probably does not qualify here). Previous owners' names inside the cover count as "Written in", not "Signed", again unless the previous owner was Dan Abnett.

Type:

HB or HC - Hardback or Hard Cover
SB or SC - Softback or Soft Cover
PB - Paperback

IV. COMICS

See the Comic Book Price Guide: http://www.comic-book-collection-made-e ... guide.html
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
Bosse ( 46 )
Trade Novice

Re: Bartertown Trade Terms Glossary

Post by Bosse »

I can't think of anything I would add right now, but I do want to point out you have 2 sections labled Availbility with much of the same information in them.
Availability:

OOP - Out Of Production or Out of Print (NOT Out of Package) - means that the miniature is NOT being made anymore by any manufacturer.
LE - Limited Edition
Current - Item is the present, most recent, in production version.
Availability:

LE - Limited Edition
Signed - Autographed by someone who is not the owner, unless the owner is famous ("internet famous" probably does not qualify here). Previous owners' names inside the cover count as "Written in", not "Signed", again unless the previous owner was Dan Abnett.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

We also have 2 sections called Condition.

Please note that both duplicate headers are under different Categories.. we tried to be standardized.
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

As part of a recent BTR that involved terminology issues, I'm for it. To be honest, it bums me out that something like this is necessary, as common sense should dictate 90% of what is said, but having something solid for when someone tries to use vague language to rip someone off is definitely a good thing. I don't have much to add, other than my earnest support.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Looks pretty thorough to me. I tend to use most of those terms myself. One possible addition would be verbiage to include bits. I can't count how many times I've received "new" or "new on sprue" bits that were primed (usually poorly.)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

This should still cover it.
Look back at some of those "New" or "NOS" trades you had... The definitions above work. Right?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Right. I even spelled out that I didn't want bits with *any* paint /primer on them, yet still got them anyway. At least this would offer a pointer to those who might not understand what that means.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

LOL

In that case, I don't think these guidelines would've helped. :mrgreen:

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
athelu ( 608 )
Resident Trader

Post by athelu »

on dakkadakka they have a wiki system that shows the "meaning" of commonly used acronyms. Any chance we could build that in here - using the above referenced meanings for these?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

They're on a different "board" type than we are. We're on phpbb software. If we're going to implement that, there has to be a MOD available for it on the phpbb site (or Adam would have to create the code himself - not happening).

Honestly, Adam does not have a lot of spare time, so the likelyhood of him getting the time to install something like that is minimal at the VERY best.

Eric

locust ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by locust »

Assembled - Put together, modified by quality (poorly etc) and status (partially, completely).
For this entry, I would add something that states that all parts are the original parts that came with the model. I mention this because of a recent BTR where the offender claimed to have sent a complete model and it had different non-original parts. It was technically complete, but didn't have all of the original parts.

Something like this:
Assembled - Put together, modified by quality (poorly etc) and status (partially, completely). All Original parts present, otherwise see Converted.

This wording would prevent "misconceptions" as to what is a complete and assembled model.
Go on, laugh! But one day, you'll be sitting in your house feeling all safe and secure... Then you'll look over and I'll be there... Doin'... stuff!
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

locust wrote:
For this entry, I would add something that states that all parts are the original parts that came with the model. I mention this because of a recent BTR where the offender claimed to have sent a complete model and it had different non-original parts. It was technically complete, but didn't have all of the original parts.

Something like this:
Assembled - Put together, modified by quality (poorly etc) and status (partially, completely). All Original parts present, otherwise see Converted.

This wording would prevent "misconceptions" as to what is a complete and assembled model.
I think you'll find that the terms "complete", "incomplete", and "converted" cover this situation just fine.

The chariot in question would not be considered "complete": All parts included in the original package are present (instructions, bases, etc).

These terms are meant to be used together in order to accurately describe trade items. More is more.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”