Rudeness

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

alqadim ( 162 )
Journeyman Trader

Rudeness

Post by alqadim »

I've been around here for a while and now I need to vent... Lately I've noticed a rise on extremely rude responses from traders on pm's. I never realized that saying no thank you to a deal could make people get so upset that they need to be agressive and rude in what is supposed to be a friendly place. Why is this?

Also the rangers blew their game tonight ;(
Please note I have moved to a new state, do not be alarmed!
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Re: Rudeness

Post by HarlequinZero »

I feel it's the return of the "Me Decade" sans Don Johnson. Especially amongst teens and twenty-somethings. The whole "This is my opinion and you must agree with me!" mentality.

The Internet just serves to facilitate this attitude by letting normally mild mannered people hide behind anonymity. For supporting evidence, search Penny Arcade for John Gabriel's "Internet *bleep*-wad Theory."
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Blame the anonymity of the internet. You really want to see some rudeness? Go play EVE Online. There are some really big a-holes on there.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
EVIL INC ( 42 )
Resident Trader

Post by EVIL INC »

I've learned to just laugh at them. They are only making themselves look bad. Try not to feed them though, it may spill over into the public forums where it gets ugly.
Gotta agree with Ironhide, too much of the internet "he-man" syndrome. People can say things to others they would never consider if it was face to face. Just because they may be trolls does not mean you have to stoop to their level. I would suggest adding them to your personal "do not trade with" list and move on.
Treat other members with the same dignity, respect and honesty you would like to be treated with.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

just add them to your own personal do not trade list, or if you do trade with them, make them really pay.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

At least you actually got a response on your offer.

I cannot count the number of PM trade offers I've made in the last, say... three months where I'm left wondering how long I should keep (item/unit/vehicle XXXXXX) out of possible trade for another Btown ad that I might actually get a response from.
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.
aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

Post by aurak_merc »

Oddly enough, the no-replyholes have been happening rather often to me lately as well. It used to be few and far between, and I would just add that person to my "foes" list and never deal with them again. Now, even a couple of established traders have been unresponsive. I find it horribly rude and quite frankly butt-holish not to take a few moments to reply, especially when I offer exactly what they want in their ad. Oh well, there is always more room on the Foes list.

As for snotty replies, I don't think I have received any of those on Bartertown. They would be on Ye Olde Foes list pretty quickly as well though. There is nothing so rare as to have to deal with those sorts of people.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Oddly enough, the no-replyholes have been happening rather often to me lately as well. It used to be few and far between, and I would just add that person to my "foes" list and never deal with them again. Now, even a couple of established traders have been unresponsive. I find it horribly rude and quite frankly butt-holish not to take a few moments to reply, especially when I offer exactly what they want in their ad. Oh well, there is always more room on the Foes list.

As for snotty replies, I don't think I have received any of those on Bartertown. They would be on Ye Olde Foes list pretty quickly as well though. There is nothing so rare as to have to deal with those sorts of people.
How can you trade here then? You surely have most of the board on your foes list. LOL

I have to say I hate it as well, but must admit that I have done it,as well. I just have to not take it personally. Sometimes when I have 30 responses I forget to respond to one or two so that is what I imagine has happened when it happens to me. I just hit them with 3 more "Did you see my offer?" messages and then if they STILL do not reply I give up.

If someone sends me a second request I always try and respond, because I know they are serious.
BTown Regular

Post by AvatarForm »

Hi all I am new here but feel I need to add my weight to this.

I recently said no thank you to a trade on another forum and the kid proceeded to spam me with Ebay links of forgeries claiming that his offer was in line with current trends... on forged Rackham metals nonetheless!

Then he had a huge PM rant about how life is unfair... and I cant even vouch this was a youngster.

There is a list of rules somewhere in the web titled Internet Etiquette (sp), it should be a sticky in all forums IMO.
It's Bartertown, if you don't like my offer, please haggle with me (within reason).
Shane ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Shane »

Various reasons: When a person doesn't post a price, this can be annoying to people who hate to negotiate. Some people really hate to negotiate (like my wife). It's best to post exactly what you want. Another reason is when people can't read specific instructions: I.E. "I want wood elf archers" then someone asks "will you take $20 or some undead zombies. I've run into these two things alot.
Always looking for well sculpted Female miniatures.
blackspade ( 450 )
Expert Trader

Post by blackspade »

One of the main reasons I quit after a week....

Ironhide wrote:Blame the anonymity of the internet. You really want to see some rudeness? Go play EVE Online. There are some really big a-holes on there.
Skol!
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

Howzabout an ad (currently running) that lists items, no asking prices or % of value, etc., says to PM him offers, and then goes on that he will not reply to "lowball" offers.

So... He refuses to give any value he'll consider, and tells you he'll leave you hanging if he considers your offer too low. WTF??

It just so happens he is offering things I could use, but too bad, I won't even make an offer - I will wait for a trader that at least has an mote of a frikken idea of WHAT THEY WANT AND ARE WILLING TO COMMUNICATE IT.
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.
blackspade ( 450 )
Expert Trader

Post by blackspade »

Agree.
If you ask for offers, at least have to courtesy to respond, even with a "no thanks."
If you have a ballpark range of what you want and will haggle, say so!
mardaddy601 wrote:Howzabout an ad (currently running) that lists items, no asking prices or % of value, etc., says to PM him offers, and then goes on that he will not reply to "lowball" offers.

So... He refuses to give any value he'll consider, and tells you he'll leave you hanging if he considers your offer too low. WTF??

It just so happens he is offering things I could use, but too bad, I won't even make an offer - I will wait for a trader that at least has an mote of a frikken idea of WHAT THEY WANT AND ARE WILLING TO COMMUNICATE IT.
Skol!

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”