Stripping Products Showdown

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Stripping Products Showdown

Post by borthcollective »

Tried some Dawn Power Dissolver yesterday. It's amazing, certainly better than Simple Green. It cleans about as good as the acetone I have used in the past.
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Has anyone tried watering the Dawn Power Dissolver down a bit to make it go farther?
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Oohh... this reminds me - I should check to see if I've still got anything sitting in CSC.

Tho really, with CSC being as good as it is, kinda a waste to bother with anything else.
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

borthcollective wrote:Has anyone tried watering the Dawn Power Dissolver down a bit to make it go farther?
I haven't diluted it yet, but I did pick up another bottle to try spraying the pieces instead of submersing them. That should extend it by quite a bit. Since it's so thick it sticks where it's put, unlike CSC and other liquids...
craasher ( 118 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by craasher »

JohnHwangBT wrote:Oohh... this reminds me - I should check to see if I've still got anything sitting in CSC.

Tho really, with CSC being as good as it is, kinda a waste to bother with anything else.
Yeah the thing I love about the CSC is that I bought a large lot of Dwarfs from a guy a few years ago and they looked like they had been painted by dipping in Sears Weatherbeater Exterior Paint. Even with the plastic models I throw it in the CSC and come back in a few days. I actually went on vacation one time and left them in there then didn't get back to the batch for a few weeks and it didn't melt the models.

I actually dont use gloves when im stripping with CSC and I can tell my hands are a little drier after washing the models off and hitting them with the toothbrush but no real ill effects.
orctez ( 496 )
Millenium Trader

Post by orctez »

I have used CSC repeatedly with little degradation. I place the offending minis in a plastic jar and pour the CSC in enough to cover the minis. When you close the jar, there is no evaporation and the CSC should hold up to repeated uses. I also strain the CSC between uses.

Art
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

No straining the Dawn Power Dissolver. It looks like something that should be dripping out of an aliens mouth after the 1st use. I am trying a second (diluted) use on some minis tonight, all the minis I put in the first batch came clean, including the bases. There were a couple of spots I had to use a pick on only because it was too deep for my toothbrush.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

I've had stuff soaking in the Dawn over a week now with no ill effects. Spray on is just as effective as submersion so I highly recommend simply spraying it on to stretch your mileage from it.

On a side note, I found different sized bottles of Krud Kutter at my local Home Depot last night, as well as Good Off and Goof Off 2. Goof Off 2 claims to be safe on plastics. When I get some spare funds I'll spring for a bottle and give it a whirl.

If anyone has any crappily painted plastic figs that they would like to donate to the project I'd be happy to take them. I'm running out of stuff to strip! :lol:

Donations/suggestions of other products to try are also welcome.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

orctez wrote:I have used CSC repeatedly with little degradation. I place the offending minis in a plastic jar and pour the CSC in enough to cover the minis. When you close the jar, there is no evaporation and the CSC should hold up to repeated uses. I also strain the CSC between uses.

Art
I do all of that Art. My tubs are sealed unless adding or retrieving minis. I double strain after use. It all has no real effect from what I can see. After 2~3 uses it's just not as strong as it once was.
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

I've been doing about 2/3 water to 1/3 dpd and getting about 50 mini's worth of use out of it until it gets way too murky to deal with.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Looks like a will be trying out the Dawn then. Thanks for the scientific inquiry into this matter!
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

UPDATE

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Update: After finally getting around to cleaning out the tubs last night, I've discovered a few more things about Dawn Power Dissolve (DPD for short.)
  • 1. After an extended soak in DPD green stuff is broken down into useless rubber. This is a key factor if you want to preserve any sculpting work. Although the 24 hour test showed no signs of damage to the putty, 10 days completely killed it. Good thing 24 hours is highly effective. ;)
    2. I actually had DPD debond plastic glue on some small joints in the extended soak. Zombie arms were falling off left and right. Good or bad? Your decision there.
    3. DPD took off enamel paints from metal parts cleanly. Roughly 50~60% removal on plastic parts. That's a whole lot better than I can say about CSC vs. enamel.
    4. Spraying on DPD is just as effective as immersing models in it. This extends the usage exponentially.
    5. After re-using the initial test batch of DPD, it turned into nasty grey sludge and separated into liquid and solid components. It did strip the models but the nasty factor was a big drawback for me.
So there you have it. Until something better comes along DPD is now my preferred weapon of choice for stripping anything. :)
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Yep that sludge is fairly disgusting.
Spire_182 ( 124 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Spire_182 »

Thanks for this review! I've been a "Simple Green" man since I found it at Wal-Mart, though I have occasionally used oven cleaner for some tough paint on metal minis only. Now I can add a few more things to my arsenal too.
Asif Chaudhry ( 346 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: UPDATE

Post by Asif Chaudhry »

Just curious guys, but for minis that are paint free, but have glue on them, will DPD do the job, or do I have to resort to Acetone dip/IPA rinse (which is what I used to do) to get off the glue?

Thanks!
"WHY throw away your life so recklessly?"
"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron"
"For my confession they burned me with fire --- And found that I was for endurance made"

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”