How to buy from a new or low ref trader, safely.

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

peacemystic ( 720 )
Millenium Trader

Re: How to buy from a new or low ref trader, safely.

Post by peacemystic »

Adunaphel wrote:Are you allowed to open the box and inspect the items inside before you pay for it?
I thought the same thing Karl, He could have sent you a bunch of army men from the local Dollar General store...it would sound and feel just like the same amount of plastic GW figures....
Still seems pretty risky to me...and even if someone with a high rating did screw up, your chances are still better of getting a good deal from a high rating trader than from a new trader....we all started somewhere and we all have had to send first.
But It is a better option for the new trader...but I think its the risker option for the longer term trader, I might still have a box of army men...but to me thats still the same as getting nothing.
Its not for me but hey it does give another option, and if both parties are good with it,thats all that matters.

Cheers
Steve
Trade or Sale lower rating ships first,comfirmation number given and expected apon postage.
"Don't be a jerk, feedback helps everyone.
Reply to PMs.
It's common courtesy."
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

peacemystic wrote:
Adunaphel wrote:Are you allowed to open the box and inspect the items inside before you pay for it?
I thought the same thing Karl, He could have sent you a bunch of army men from the local Dollar General store...it would sound and feel just like the same amount of plastic GW figures....
Still seems pretty risky to me...and even if someone with a high rating did screw up, your chances are still better of getting a good deal from a high rating trader than from a new trader....we all started somewhere and we all have had to send first.
But It is a better option for the new trader...but I think its the risker option for the longer term trader, I might still have a box of army men...but to me thats still the same as getting nothing.
Its not for me but hey it does give another option, and if both parties are good with it,thats all that matters.

Cheers
Steve

And you can have that happen with any trade that doesn't send 1st, even with someone with a high[er] rating. I've had it happen here. I paid 1st since the trader had a rating over 50. He sent 4 vehicles, crammed into a box, w/o any padding to protect them. When I pm'd him, he said, what did you expect for the price you paid?

But you still can file mail fraud charges. Which i something you seem to keep forgeting. And it seems most people don't do.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
69oddbitz ( 130 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by 69oddbitz »

Adding to this, although it's been a year since the last posting. I buy and send things, both on eBay, and now on here at BT. I'm a new trader, and thankfully I've had good luck. I realize paypal isn't the best solution, but I try to pay via paypal first because at least I have some recourse. However, I always ship with delivery confirmation, and if I were to ship something over $100.00 value, I would ship via Certified Mail. I've used Certified mail to send packages in the past, especially when I shipped items in the couple hundred dollars range. Certified doesn't cost much extra, but at least requires a signature to deliver the package, so that eliminates "wrong address", etc. Especially when you write on the certified card affixed, "Please Check ID of Recipient". I usually inform the party I'm shipping to, that I'm putting that on the package.

No method is 100% reliable unless you hand deliver it to the recipient. But I also try to be a conscientious seller and provide buyers with a tracking number so they know where their package is. I also photograph the package on the counter of the post office with my camera phone, to show the condition of the package as I dropped it off. If there's an issue with the package, I have the picture showing that I delivered the package to the post office unblemished - I feel this really helps with any postal insurance claims. In which I also insure packages over $100.00 as well - even if they are metal miniatures that are, for all intents and purposes, difficult to damage.

I have a lot of old, rare, and unused figures in my collection, and I'm hoping to make some great trades here at BT and get some good stuff, while helping those searching for things, find some cool stuff and maybe deals. :D

I haven't had a mailing issue yet - and now I've knocked on every wooden surface near my computer in the hopes that I didn't just jinx myself. :D
-------------------
KOL: Magic Delicious McNasty

Per BT's Unofficial Rules - Lower Rating Ships First (except!)
Bad or Neutral References - Sorry, but you ship first REGARDLESS of your Rating.

Usually, if you're buying from me, You Pay first, I ship. BUT (!) I am definately open to discuss it.

Apparently I'm having BT connection issues. If you haven't heard from me in a 48 hour period of time and I don't answer a PM here, please email me at scribe.hereticus@gmail.com.
Jakai_Musashi ( 26 )
Resident Trader

Post by Jakai_Musashi »

Here's a Q re: CoD. I haven't had any experience with this, and I'm fairly sure that Canada Post does not have this option to send out packages. I've also heard (nothing absolute) that the USPS CoD does not work if you're shipping to Canada (not sure of other countries). If both of these notes re: CoD is the case, what would be options for us Canucks aside from potential risk? I don't think it's been addressed, and if someone's (recently especially) had experience with USPS CoD to Canada, then please correct me on my errors :mrgreen:
GW Products:
Items will be inventoried and compared to agreed tradelist - Been ripped off one too many times.

More References on elvisjenkins@eastlink.ca (someone left me references over there instead of here for some reason :( )

Bitz I Need:
Black Templar Tabard Torsos 6/20
Black Templar Shoulderpads 5/15
BT/Company Champ/Ravenwing "Knight" Helmets 8/20
Dark Angels Robed Marines with fully robed chest (plastic) 3/9
Mk6 Legs 0/20
GK Storm Bolter ammo clips 0/15
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Jakai_Musashi wrote:Here's a Q re: CoD. I haven't had any experience with this, and I'm fairly sure that Canada Post does not have this option to send out packages. I've also heard (nothing absolute) that the USPS CoD does not work if you're shipping to Canada (not sure of other countries). If both of these notes re: CoD is the case, what would be options for us Canucks aside from potential risk? I don't think it's been addressed, and if someone's (recently especially) had experience with USPS CoD to Canada, then please correct me on my errors :mrgreen:

COD is only for domestic shipping.

Here's the last line of the/my 1st post, [emphasis added]

It doesn't work for international mail. UPS offers C.O.D. also, but they only pay by check from UPS or a check from the buyer. I don't know if they offer it for internationally.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Jakai_Musashi ( 26 )
Resident Trader

Post by Jakai_Musashi »

Sorry must have missed that, but if I did, I'm sure I'm not the only one who did :) Thanks for the emphasis. Still leaves us Canucks in the grey areas of course, both for self-security, and for the obvious other side of that coin.
GW Products:
Items will be inventoried and compared to agreed tradelist - Been ripped off one too many times.

More References on elvisjenkins@eastlink.ca (someone left me references over there instead of here for some reason :( )

Bitz I Need:
Black Templar Tabard Torsos 6/20
Black Templar Shoulderpads 5/15
BT/Company Champ/Ravenwing "Knight" Helmets 8/20
Dark Angels Robed Marines with fully robed chest (plastic) 3/9
Mk6 Legs 0/20
GK Storm Bolter ammo clips 0/15
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Jakai_Musashi wrote:Sorry must have missed that, but if I did, I'm sure I'm not the only one who did :) Thanks for the emphasis. Still leaves us Canucks in the grey areas of course, both for self-security, and for the obvious other side of that coin.
There isn't anything like COD between countries, but, if you check at/with your local Canada Post office, they should be able to tell you if there is something you can use in Canada.

THEFAN ( 580 )
Millenium Trader

Post by THEFAN »

I pay with MOs due to personal issues with paypal. I have now started putting certifed mail on deals over 50.00. Yes it's a little more to ship but now I know the seller will get his funds. :) Just works for me with the amounts I buy. 100Oth POST!! :-P
Last edited by THEFAN on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers." - D. Rockefeller creator of the National Education Association.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

hahaha.. u said 100o post not 1000.. ha ha.

THEFAN ( 580 )
Millenium Trader

Post by THEFAN »

kturock wrote:hahaha.. u said 100o post not 1000.. ha ha.
O leave me alone and keep looking for that MO. :) LOL!!
"I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers." - D. Rockefeller creator of the National Education Association.
Winged Menace ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Winged Menace »

As a brand new trader on this forum, I find this COD idea interesting. Thanks

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”