Bartertown Needs Your Help

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

pretre ( 1110 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Re: Bartertown Needs Your Help

Post by pretre » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 pm

MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 am
The only thing that really worries me about that is a group of guys getting together to fluff up their ref score, so that they can run scams based on them. You know?
We have certain controls and tools we can use for people on the site. People coming from off site, though... those would be more difficult.

It *IS* an interesting idea, though.

Eric
I think that is police-able though. Especially true since anyone who spends time on Bartertown would have a higher score than those folks out in the world.

Other things to think about:
- Have 'Verified' and 'unverified' feedback. I.e. If someone isn't willing to tie a BT username and facebook account to their feedback, it only counts for half of a normal feedback or is highlighted differently. Perhaps people who only have unverified feedback get a special color or note on their listing.
- Continuing that Weigh feedback at different rates based on some algorithm that you make up. (i.e. Facebook is worth 1 rep, BT is 2, Dakka is 2, In person is 1, etc.)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

Plarz ( 322 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry I missed out on the first bit of this discussion, but it looks like MM has you in his ever-capable (if a little sweaty) hands.

To get us started on this, I've added a Paypal donation link to the board. Up top, near the link to the forum rules, you'll find a Donate link. It'll take you to a page where you can select an amount (and a currency) and it will then bounce you over to Paypal to complete the transaction.

Once we work out a goal, I'll implement a donation goal tracking bar as well, so those of you interested in donating can see the progress you're helping with!

I have more updates I'll be looking at in the next few days, so don't be surprised if things look a little different soon, especially for BT+ members.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!

gwaddict ( 486 )
Millenium Trader

Post by gwaddict » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 pm

1) Why don't you sign up for BT+ membership?
Never really considered it, vaguely recall it being tied to access to some private forum but that component didnt interest me

2) If you ARE or HAVE BEEN a BT+ member, why did you sign up?
N/A

3) What would it take to get you to join the BT+ program, if you are not already a member? Costs? Benefits?

*As mentioned above the cross posting is a great idea, and if implemented would make the auto posting less needed.
*Increased frequency of ads would be great
*Easier import of photos. I dont think I have ever successfully loaded a picture through b-town, always too large and or wont let me upload more than 1.
*Suggestions on the leave reference screen put a link to a paypal donation with a tag along the lines of "Hey you completed a trade if you appreciate the site a dollar per a trade would go a long way". Get the consumer while they are enjoying the afterglow.
* search function would be amazing, I know its down now. But I find most people just post what they have and dont sort through other items so much, being able to search for things that might not show up in the header is huge. Some folks have larger trade lists.

4) Would it help us to simply request donations?
I think a PBS style donation drive is a great idea. Personally I would be much more inclined and happy to pay after each transaction then lump sum once a year.
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback

MagickalMemories ( 784 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Thank you for the input.
We're actively looking to tweak things for members and are looking for things we might implement. Being volunteers, though, our spare time has been hampered lately.
We're trying, though, slowly but surely! : )

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

kturock ( 566 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm

And stop calling me Shirley. That's my mother-in-law.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

ryno ( 50 )
BTown Regular

Post by ryno » Sun May 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Raising Monies:
Not all of us got cash available in the right moment or continuous enough to conistently chip in. But this is bartertown! Populated by us big kids with stuffs.... we over buy, begin projects we dont complete and when you see a good deal or that item you really want, try to snatch it up like it was the last chicken mcnugget available at a vegetarian potluck. (...true story ) ....yeah, yeah, I know.... I'm leaving out the stuff we actually build and use, but the former sounded funnier.
My ideas:
1.) Collectively Donate some stuff to Bartertown with the intent of raising monies to the site. This can take the form of Bartertown's own shop thread only accessible to B + members (meaning they get first dibs, deeper discount, or whatever thereof). As well as access to everyone on site, but at a later time or costs just a little more per item. More popular pieces that come in... idk, bid system on said item plus it gets advertised on the main page viewable to logged in members only? (that will help get some more traffic to the site hopefully?)

2.) I dont know the laws or how much of a pain it would be.... but raffle off a few big prizes? Or smaller raffle for a few items, ... like a squad of something, or for 1 smaller but pricier popular item.

3.) Whatever doesn't collectively sell well, .... gets turned into a bits bag and thrown on ebay with a few last minute add ins.

MagickalMemories ( 784 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Mon May 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Interesting ideas. Thanks.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”