Bartertown Needs Your Help

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 762 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Bartertown Needs Your Help

Post by MagickalMemories » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 am

So, as everyone knows, Bartertown (BT) is free to use. We require NO INDIVIDUAL to pay us to join or be a member.

That said, it is NOT free to run. While staff is a non-issue (we are all 100% unpaid volunteers), we still have software, hardware and other needs to pay for.

We have two programs we run in order to keep funds coming in:
1) Bartertown Plus (BT+) where, for a small fee, a member can get a few extra things.
2) Advertisers, who pay to advertise here.

We're not dead in the water but, quite frankly, costs are going up while neither of these two groups are increasing as needed.

So, we're reaching out to you, our member base. I have a few very specific questions I'd love some input on.

1) Why don't you sign up for BT+ membership?
2) If you ARE or HAVE BEEN a BT+ member, why did you sign up?
3) What would it take to get you to join the BT+ program, if you are not already a member? Costs? Benefits?

We have a number of things we can look into, with PHPBB programming, where we can insert modules, if you will, into the site to add things. So, if there are specifics you'd like to see (that would get you to PAY to use), please let us know.

Lastly:
4) Would it help us to simply request donations?

Any input you, our members (new and old) have that you would like to chime in with would be appreciated by us.

Thank you.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

gamefusion ( 464 )
Expert Trader

Re: Bartertown Needs Your Help

Post by gamefusion » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Honestly, I haven't signed up for Bartertown+ because the extras I would get aren't in line with what I come here for. Especially in this age of Facebook, the more social, forum-y discussions are easier and more convenient to do there. And there are tons of trade groups. Now, I don't do any trades there, because I like the reference system and the community here, but the social connection part of it isn't what I come here for, and I would assume others feel the same.

The other thing is this; I kind of forgot it existed, to be frank. It's not advertised much on the site. Maybe a button or some kind of visual cue might be a good idea? Bartertown is a great forum, but these types of forums are a little bit older form of internet social connection now, and I'd bet there are plenty of traders and browsers here who have no idea Bartertown+ is a thing.

That being said, I might be open to supporting a Patreon type funding approach. It's convenient, it's familiar, and people are used to that method for supporting stuff like Bartertown.

I have no problem with the idea of spending a little money to support something that's given me a lot of utility & enjoyment over the years. But the way that Bartertown+ is being presented and what I'd get from it, it's just not that enticing. And I don't know what kind of features you might add that would convince me to sign up. The site is very useful as-is.

Maybe an interface of some kind to make hosting pics better and easier? I would love love LOVE to be able to put pics directly into an ad from my phone. Yeah, actually, that might entice me to cough up some money for this. Take a look at how www.tga.community handles their image hosting, and how easy it is to upload pictures right from your phone.

Ditto for maybe adding a "hide/reveal" function for images? I like to post tons of pics, for clarity's sake, but I know people don't like wading through them.
US Trades Only, please! International shipping is just getting too expensive.
The object of a game is to win. The point of a game is to have fun.
My trading rules:
1. Lower rating ships first, unless we agree otherwise.
2. Delivery confirmation is required on all US trades.
3. I will not mark an international package as a "gift". It's a felony, so please don't ask.

References owed to me by: noexit1982, paintballparkhurst

jrokowski ( 438 )
Resident Trader

Post by jrokowski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Hey MM, Soon as I get my new CC I'll sign up. I do it just to support the site. BT is the trading standard imo and iconic.

James
My References:
eBay
Heatware
Bartertown

pretre ( 1010 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:02 pm

I do as soon as I remember each year.
I signed up for the 4 day rolling update and to support the site.
3) What would it take to get you to join the BT+ program, if you are not already a member? Costs? Benefits?
Additional stuff? Not really, I think the BT plus is a good value. I don't use the sub-forums for posting items for BT plus though. I don't know that there's a lot of value there.

I think that's not such a bad idea, in addition to what you already have. Just have a paypal donate button.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

MagickalMemories ( 762 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.
Keep it coming!

I'll look into the PayPal thing, and will talk to the TechnoMage about picture hosting.

So, what about Patreon? I'd love to explore that more, as well.
I don't know a lot about it, but will do some research. My understanding, though, is that Patreon supporters generally do (or expect to) get a little bit extra for that support.
What kind of extras would you want to see, if any? Monthly articles on trading? Packing? Shipping? Anything else?

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

jason1977 ( 162 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 pm

MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 am

My answers:
1. I do not play as much thus I do not trade/sell as much
2. Never been a BT+ member
3. Can’t say
4. Perhaps. Offer BT+ perks at the current rate. Ask all members, who are active, for $1. 38k users here. Even if BT gets 10% of its users to kick in a buck that’s $3k or so. I have no idea what the site costs BT but $3k could surely help.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL

MagickalMemories ( 762 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Let me throw in a side question for those of you reading this:
Aside from anything mentioned above, what are some things you'd like to see available on Bartertown?
Specifically, I'm referring to forum tweaks, etc.
"Like" buttons, the ability to link your profile to Facebook, photo hosting (as referenced above), the ability to attach non-image files to PMs and Ads, etc.

Also, @gamefusion...
One new thing that was recently added... Did you know we have a "drag and drop" function now? Just drag your image over the text box, drop it, and the software will auto-upload it. You'll still need to "place it in-line," but it does make adding images a lot easier. I've used it a lot myself.

Eric

Doctari ( 272 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Doctari » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Very little value in it in todays day and age. Facebook groups are free and have more users. The one time I tried to sign up for it I was told I missed the sign up window.

When I wanted to sign up I thought the extra visibility for my posts would be useful.

Being able to post more frequently than once every 4 days. Large posts with 5+ armies get less attention than 5 individual posts with a single army in them. Ability to post more pictures in a post or reply to a post with updates without it being immediately locked.

Probably not. Mostly for the reasons in the first answer. There are currently free options that provide a better user experience and a more up to date experience available. Most people are coming here to save money. I've been a part of this community for 12ish years and I'm just being honest when I say that it really feels antiquated. I used to check here every couple of hours, now it's every day or so and don't even bother to click on most ads. And even with that infrequent visiting there never seems to be really any new posts.

And then there's the technical issues: search function not working, pm system losing messages, posting something and having it sell in minutes then being on the sideline for an entire week.

I know this might be coming across as an attack post but it really isn't. It's just a business analyst looking at the product being offered and giving you honest feedback. If you want people to spend money then you have to give them something they can't get somewhere else for less (or free) and the only real offering right now is the feedback system and the length of time the community has been around, and both of those are free to use.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

See, it's stuff like this that makes no one like you.

MagickalMemories ( 762 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Honest, straightforward feedback is definitely not taken insultingly. No worries.
Thanks for that. DEFINITELY some good insight there.

Eric

pretre ( 1010 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I think looking at the timeframe for posting rules could certainly be a big deal.
As Doctari says though, Facebook is the big dog at this point and it is tough to compete with that.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

don_mondo ( 562 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by don_mondo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Do every year, altho at least once it kinda slid to the side as I was deployed and, frankly, forgot...

Mainly, to support the site. Don't post/sell enough these days that the more frequent updates really matter, altho that may change at least temporarily as I clean out from the recent move/ Amazing what you find when you move and have to unpack everything.

Can't really think of anything additional I'd like to see.

Someone mentioned Patreon. Question there is what would/could be offered for Patreon supporters that would not require a large amount of effort by the mods/admin?
Don "MONDO"

MagickalMemories ( 762 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm

I've been looking into patreon since it was first mentioned.
It's more for individuals who want to make a living, and not so much for those who want to just give money to a "faceless" entity to help it stay afloat.

I'm not thinking it will be something we can do. Honestly, though, that would be on Lin. He has to include money from patreon on his taxes, since all the funds come into his name.

PayPal donation buttons are easier to get now than they were the last time I looked into them, though.

On a personal note, I won't use FB groups as long as BT is around. There's no ref system, and a FB account is far too easy to fake. Although we're "antiquated" in comparison to FB, that's why I still find BT to be the superior option.

I know you kids today don't all agree, though. LOL
You kids and your Snapbook, MyTweet and FacePlace!

Eric

akum ( 186 )
2016 Assembly Challenge Champion!

Post by akum » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:07 pm

I would love FB integrated into BT in general. More accountability, more personal. Love it

pretre ( 1010 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm
On a personal note, I won't use FB groups as long as BT is around. There's no ref system, and a FB account is far too easy to fake. Although we're "antiquated" in comparison to FB, that's why I still find BT to be the superior option.
Some of the groups have feedback systems, but they are not good.

That being said, let's get crazy and say. What about some sort of Facebook integration? Either post 'top' ads onto your facebook group or something similar. I mean, it's more admin and technical work, but creating some sort of amalgam that takes the reach of FB and the history/feedback rating of BT would not be a bad thing.

MagickalMemories ( 762 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Well, speaking for myself, I'm not social media savvy enough.
YEARS ago, we started a FB page. It... floundered... to put it mildly.
So, with my (purposefully) limited knowledge of social media integration, I know that *I* wouldn't know how.
Plarz might.
I'm not sure what kind of phpbb code there might be for it.

Eric

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”