Would bases go under bits or the relevant manufacturer's sub forum?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

Would bases go under bits or the relevant manufacturer's sub forum?

Post by Condottiero Magno »

Have 121 genuine Rackham Confrontation infantry and cavalry bases for sale individually, but not sure if I should post in Bits & Parts or Miscellaneous - Fantasy. Do bases count as bits on Bartertown or not? Seems obvious, but would like to play it safe, lest I attract the ire of the mods... :lol:
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Re: Would bases go under bits or the relevant manufacturer's sub forum?

Post by jason1977 »

Mods don't bite too hard the first time so don't worry.

TMK bases would be in bits. Misc Fantasy would be for full models.

Than again I have been wrong b4 so hang tight. Im sure a mod will be along.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

jason1977 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm
Mods don't bite too hard the first time so don't worry.

TMK bases would be in bits. Misc Fantasy would be for full models.

Than again I have been wrong b4 so hang tight. Im sure a mod will be along.
I see... :-|

On a related note, how about multi-part models? I've got plastic horses for sale under Warhammer Fantasy, but for awhile thought they might belong in bits, even though they're offered unassembled in complete sets: two halves, a head and a tail.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I would do bits but that is my opinion only... well, and my other opinion that the aos base swap is costing everybody a small fortune... but if you didn’t know GW stores do sell two different packs of generic, low-cost bases (covering all of the non-giant bases sizes) - in addition to their deluxe bases.

Also, if you look around there are some conversion bases (third party vendors) that will slot a square base into a circular base... Those bases are really good for square bases that you don’t want to wreck (maybe because you spent a lot of time on them or maybe because you want to be able to play 8-9th edition and AOS interchangeably)... Also, I find that say skeletons you are really taking a risk of snapping the ankles even if you remove the base by destroying it (cutting the base apart vs trying to remove the model from the base), and these are good choices for that 20/25/32mm stuff (that you have large numbers of most likely). however, the conversion bases are not available for a lot of the exotic base sizes and can be pricey.

The best deal around is probably third party but the generic two packs from GW stores are reasonable. Anything big you will likely have to get from bits dealers on eBay if you can’t find a cheap third party vendor that sells them.

TMI but I guess I felt like “talking” on the subject a bit, and/or sharing ideas (we should be more socialable on here - lol - we as a group probably have more combined knowledge, in the hobby, than anywhere else.

... or hey we can all pitch in and buy a nice MDF cutter or 3D printer and start making them ourselves (I am starting to think about doing this for large bases that can run like $5+ and making my own version of the ever so expensive skirmish movement trays).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sean
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Also, the mods (I feel) are generally pretty kind when it comes to the “grey” areas of what goes where - unless it is, obviously, an attempt to (pretty much) spam all the sections with the same (mostly innnapropriate add)... and even then I think they seem to be fairly tolerant... but yeah, I would ask one of the mods directly (they are usually available and shouldn’t get mad) about the not cut and dry, not clearly specified in the official rules questions (like what Magno is stating).

Thanks,
Overly Verbose Sean
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Bits forum for bases :)

For horses, are they just the horse and nothing else? One could argue it could fit in both, however the general consensus is if the model isn't whole, it goes in the bits forum. I'm not sure if any armies have units with ONLY horses.

That being said, we don't usually get too angry if it's one of those things that is a gray item and is in the wrong forum. Not too angry. Slightly upset. Mildly irritated.

I'm just kidding.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

wsott1970 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:26 am
I would do bits but that is my opinion only... well, and my other opinion that the aos base swap is costing everybody a small fortune... but if you didn’t know GW stores do sell two different packs of generic, low-cost bases (covering all of the non-giant bases sizes) - in addition to their deluxe bases.

Also, if you look around there are some conversion bases (third party vendors) that will slot a square base into a circular base... Those bases are really good for square bases that you don’t want to wreck (maybe because you spent a lot of time on them or maybe because you want to be able to play 8-9th edition and AOS interchangeably)... Also, I find that say skeletons you are really taking a risk of snapping the ankles even if you remove the base by destroying it (cutting the base apart vs trying to remove the model from the base), and these are good choices for that 20/25/32mm stuff (that you have large numbers of most likely). however, the conversion bases are not available for a lot of the exotic base sizes and can be pricey.

The best deal around is probably third party but the generic two packs from GW stores are reasonable. Anything big you will likely have to get from bits dealers on eBay if you can’t find a cheap third party vendor that sells them.

TMI but I guess I felt like “talking” on the subject a bit, and/or sharing ideas (we should be more socialable on here - lol - we as a group probably have more combined knowledge, in the hobby, than anywhere else.

... or hey we can all pitch in and buy a nice MDF cutter or 3D printer and start making them ourselves (I am starting to think about doing this for large bases that can run like $5+ and making my own version of the ever so expensive skirmish movement trays).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sean
I know about GW bases and ring adapters by Eccentric Miniatures, so wouldn't be offering those for sale, but I do have bases from the defunct Rackham, after re-basing the figures on GW ones. :lol: IIRC, these were made by a company, name forgotten, which used to make bases for Citadel and I know of Rackham enthusiasts who are interested in the genuine article, especially now that the Kickstarter re-launch is looking more like a scam, though the signs were obvious from day one.

Ao$ never required players to rebase, even saying so in both editions of the rules, but independent arse-hat tourney organizers are the ones who kept pushing for standardization. Even A0$ 2.0 has an option for measuring from the figure and I've got four figures, close order troops, on 40 and 50mm bases, so have no intention of rebasing.

Didn't know about the square to circle conversion option, so who're the manufacturers and does the bevel match GW rounds - the latter is important?
Last edited by Condottiero Magno on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Condottiero Magno ( 6 )
Apprentice Trader

3eland wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:16 pm
Bits forum for bases :)

For horses, are they just the horse and nothing else? One could argue it could fit in both, however the general consensus is if the model isn't whole, it goes in the bits forum. I'm not sure if any armies have units with ONLY horses.

That being said, we don't usually get too angry if it's one of those things that is a gray item and is in the wrong forum. Not too angry. Slightly upset. Mildly irritated.

I'm just kidding.

R
There are some games that allow for dismounted combat and horse holders, usually pages or 1 in 4 troopers...

These are stated as complete models: left and right halves and a head an tail, but if I just had heads for sale, wouldn't have had an issue listing these in bits. The modularity issue is what confused me, unlike several on a single sprue, like Perry or Warlord horses.

Good to know I won't chewed over this, unlike on the Grand Alliance forum, where I was penalized for relatively negative on a thread... :lol:
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm with 3e. Bases = bits. As a general rule, no models/parts go in any forum for miniature gaming unless it's a complete model.

Your horses would be better off in GW Fantasy (I seem to recall that they were GW horses) because it's a complete HORSE model (you don't have to have a base to consider the MODEL complete by our reckoning). While you wouldn't have your hand slapped if you put them in bits (as being parts of a larger model KIT), we would not be kindly disposed to you spamming them in both forums. Basically... pick one. My suggestion is GW fantasy, because you're going to get more views in there.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Oh... and thanks for asking when you were unsure.
I cannot stress enough how much we (staff) appreciate that.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Ao$ never required players to rebase, even saying so in both editions of the rules, but independent arse-hat tourney organizers are the ones who kept pushing for standardization. Even A0$ 2.0 has an option for measuring from the figure and I've got four figures, close order troops, on 40 and 50mm bases, so have no intention of rebasing.
That measurement from figure just doesn't work properly for any large figures... Review that stupid situation where a player had to lay his Arkhan (modern version) down on a table to have the arms within the right distance of a mini... Yeah, I agree that is taking the rules far too literally... but I think the only reason GW ever even allowed that was not to alienate everybody right off the bat... As time goes on it will be removed... again only my opinion.

I also dislike the whole concept... and square bases (especially of the wrong size) can be a huge advantage... I play a TK friend and sadly they don't really have official sizes and it really annoys me sometimes. His models use much smaller bases than mine and we realized pretty quickly how advantageous it was... Not going to argue why or what on this at all... That is an opinion.

We have to pretend that they are x size and adjust for it when it could be a major issue... Thankfully some non-official people tried to publish a guide on what sizes should be by approximating from what is official.
Didn't know about the square to circle conversion option, so who're the manufacturers and does the bevel match GW rounds - the latter is important?
I can find out... It has been awhile since I looked as I decided to rebase everything... However, I do think it will have to be a slight amount off... I don't remember the bevel but it looked very close to GW... You figure the squares are really just points on the circle... You can use them turned to approximate a circle... but forget about ovals or anything above what 50-60mm.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”