2017 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge.

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: 2017 Bartertown Members Painting Challenge.

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm not a fan of partial points.
Also not a fan of points for rebasing, etc.
BUT.
If you're going to do partial points, I have what I think is a VERY IMPORTANT suggestion:
We only credit in full points.

So, if bases are a half point each and you only rebase 5 models... you're getting 2 points, with no hold-over. So, rebase a 6th or only present 4 and hold back the 5th until you have a match for it.

Just my thought.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

My quick thoughts on this.
It depends on the basing.
Some guys locally, put everything on 'cork' piled up on the base. That's not really much work. I'm actually criticized since almost all my models are on bases with just paint and texture.
Now, my Eldar Wraith Knight, I added scenery to the base. That, I'd call rebasing if that was done to a model or models. But just putting it on a new base, because the shapes changed, al a` AoS, no.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah there is a lot that would go into it.

Like for example, I'm rebasing my eldar with snow and grass. But it requires a total overhaul. Ripping models off bases, adding new flock, mixing up the snow, painting the bases, etc

My vampire counts tho (which I have to rebase bcz gw hates me) is a simple flock, dry brush, wash, dry brush, glue on grass. Only the big stuff has anything apart from that.

The two wouldn't be equal in points I don't think.

Perhaps we start a new thread for touch ups?
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Dipping it in or painting on thinned white glue and then dipping it in basing material, like sand, and then painting that isn't work either.
A sharp knife or pair of side cutters works great for cutting models off the bases or bases off the models.
I usually paint the base. Then either put texture paint or white glue and sand/basing material. Then paint/wash or touch up the color on the base.
To strip the material off requires a quick dunk in purple power. Then repeating the procedure isn't anything major.
I stripped and repainted models completely and only submitted the final version. [I have 4 IronJawz that are WiP and probably going to be stripped.]
I know I'm probably going to strip the the treelord again and repaint it. I painted it, then stripped it and repainted last year and only submitted it once.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
skuller ( 310 )
Bartertown's Bob Ross

Post by skuller »

Agree with the 5 model for 2 points no carry overs

finish the 1st stormtalon support gunship (ran out of number 1 and 2 so this one is listed as the 3rd even if its the first :P )
stormtalon 04202017.jpg
1 stormtalon 5 points
silverskulls 04202017.jpg
tactical support squad from the silver skulls to reinforce the 6th company (all 10 squads are going to be from different chapters)
10 models 10 points

+ 15 points
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No international trades (not including Canada)
BTR rules
lower rates ship first
---------
Hail Hydra!!!
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

Sounds good, keep it in this paint challenge though, its already 1/4 trhough this year.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

15(351) for Skuller!

Akum, you're slacking! Beating you by a ton now!
~Ryan~

akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

yeah, next project I am working is pretty intense
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Akum, if you're talking about holding off on scoring until next year, it's not like people can't post things they've already done earlier in the year... I mean, it's fine if we don't start, but that doesn't seem like a particularly important reason to wait.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

No, I don't think we should hold off. I think we should decide values and start posting!
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Oh, was confused, there.

So... MM is pretty adamant about no partial points (change is lost if not posted in whole numbers) and no one seems opposed to that, and no one seems opposed to starting, so... stuff that does need deciding:

-variable based on degree/scope of update, or a flat number once you've passed the threshold of "this took some actual effort" (1/4, 1/3, 1/2 points have been discussed)

-is this multiplied by the original value (ex: infantry would be 1x, heavy infantry would be 2x, small vehicles would be 5x where x is the fraction), or is it flat across everything (everything is x)?

...Personally, while I prefer more nuance, I think that the variable should be fixed with a variable number for size, to mirror what we've currently got with painting-- complexity not being a factor and size being one-- ...thoughts?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

akum ( 230 )

Post by akum »

Agreed

Maybe 2 points per 5 infantry, 3 points per 5 ogre/ Calv, 1 point per small vehicle bases and up unless gigantic/heavily worked on?
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I think those sound like easy numbers to keep track of. Fractions of those, rounded down, if partial units? (Ex: 3 ogres would be 1 point)

Anyone object?

And how did people feel about lumping in more substantial revisions?
-Nietzsche

warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

Testing out a new feature, and getting some points on the board.

Painted up a Milites army for SAGA. 32 infantry, 3 civilians (priests), 1 mounted commander, 12 mounted knights. Should be 32 + 3 + 3+ 36 = 74 pts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

74(74) for Warlordgarou!
~Ryan~

Return to “Creative Endeavors”