Why are Ebay mini prices so stupidly high?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Why are Ebay mini prices so stupidly high?

Post by HawtFist »

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Anyone have any guesses why I can find NIB DE reavers at 4 times MSRP and badly painted chaos marines at MSRP?

Are people actually buying this stuff, or is there some other angle I'm missing?
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Re: Why are Ebay mini prices so stupidly high?

Post by jason1977 »

Reavers may have a jacked up price if they are sold out.

CSM painted badly for MSRP....no idea.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

You can find anything on eBay, including outliers.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

I hadn't actually thought that maybe they were out of stock. That's a good idea.

Unfortunately, not correct though - GW's website shows them available at about $40. Saw reavers on ebay last night for over $120.

So very confused.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

pretre wrote:You can find anything on eBay, including outliers.
I mean, I guess this has to be it.

And, I mean, who knows, maybe someone is buying them at that level. If so, go Capitalism, I guess.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Could it have been a lot? Like 4 units, rather than just one?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by borthcollective »

There are specific sellers out there that put things on ebay at inflated prices hoping for a wrong hit on the purchase button.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

MagickalMemories wrote:Could it have been a lot? Like 4 units, rather than just one?

Eric
Am I allowed to link to it here? For demonstration purposes?

I'll assume yes: [Admin edit by Eric] Actually, no... but I'll put the title here, instead of the link: "Reavers Box Set - Dark Eldar - Warhammer 40 000 - Games Workshop Miniatures"[/Admin edit by Eric] :mrgreen:

Down towards the bottom they say the box has 3 jetbikes in it, which is the usual amount in GW's $40 box. They're from Israel, so maybe they meant to put the price in shekels and hit dollars by accident?
Last edited by HawtFist on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

borthcollective wrote:There are specific sellers out there that put things on ebay at inflated prices hoping for a wrong hit on the purchase button.
This could make sense. But... when it's buy it now, can't you take it back within a certain amount of time? And auction bids you have to confirm.

I've bid on some stuff while drunk and regretted it, but I have trouble believing that's a viable business strategy.

privateer4hire ( 38 )
Trade Novice

Post by privateer4hire »

One idea could be that painted minis aren't a bad thing to everyone.
I hate building and painting but don't want to play with bare plastic, metal, etc.
If it's a halfway decent paintjob and construction, in a scheme that works with whatever army I'm building, and the seller's reliable at shipping things in good shape, I'm saving buying at MSRP.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

privateer4hire wrote:One idea could be that painted minis aren't a bad thing to everyone.
I hate building and painting but don't want to play with bare plastic, metal, etc.
If it's a halfway decent paintjob and construction, in a scheme that works with whatever army I'm building, and the seller's reliable at shipping things in good shape, I'm saving buying at MSRP.
This makes sense.

Because I love painting and modeling I've always assumed people like you are more of a minority in the hobby. I wonder if that's true though, now that I think about it. It would be neat if we could do some kind of survey and figure out what percentage of people just play the game and would prefer not to model or paint.

That info would be good to send on to GW too, if you guys made up more than a quarter of the hobby - maybe it would force them to work more on rules and tourneys.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

GW won't do that survey, because they don't care. They want you to buy their stuff and market to the whole audience. You can buy it and paint it yourself or someone can buy it and paint it for you. They would LIKE to get rid of the painters but, since they can't... well, at least SOMEONE is buying their stuff.

I love modelling and love painting character models (not units). When I have the money, I FAR prefer to buy well painted stuff or reasonably well painted stuff and just do touch ups.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Interesting. Wow, I'm learning tons of stuff about my hobby lately.

Warhammer sales ( 68 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Warhammer sales »

I am a pretty old school ebayer with about 1000 sales and purchases. I have seen so much odd stuff there but usually the one that amuses me the most is when I want a video game. I search auctions using "ending soonest" and i search buy it now 2 ways. 1. I search lowest price 2. I search newly listed.

Every single time the auctions are higher than the lowest buy it now price. Why is this? If we can answer this question we are at least on the right track.

I sell most things buy it now with a best offer alternative. If its a painted figure I will ask about double what I want. If I list it for $50 I might take as low as $25. When it comes to retro video games, I list also very high. You would be amazed at how often people don't even make an offer. They just pay the asking. After a while this leads me to list at even higher prices. This trend has only continued.

I of course am just a collector myself , so I cannot really speak for the people who support their entire life through Ebay.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Interesting. Thanks!

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”