Price Hikes?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Price Hikes?

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

Did I miss yet another GW sneaky price hike? $43 bucks now for a Blood Angel tactical squad? $40 for a regular? Wasn't it just a few months ago they were $35? I know they go up it seems every year, but man, is there truly is no ceiling in mind for this company? Insanity......

I know I'm showing my age, and granted it was over 15 years ago, but I remember 2 for $25 Rhinos. Heck, even just one $25 Rhino wasn't THAT long ago. Sure glad I haven't bought anything new from GW in well over 5 years..............

I used to buy all the codexes anyway just to have, but at $50 a pop, yeah forget that. I don't even have all the codexes for the armies I currently could play.

Erik
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Re: Price Hikes?

Post by jason1977 »

The new BA tact box is loaded with BA spiffy bits. Almost every Marine in the box wil be covered in BA icons of some sort. (at this point Id say buy the normal Marine tact box and one BA box and thin out the bits but plain marine tact box is 40) Heck...they gave one Marine Super Nipples.

Then again there are the 10x32mm bases.................

Jason
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

Not to mention $30 for just one, ONE, Sanguary Priest? Seriously?

I noticed the 32mm bases too......aren't the standard bases 30mm? So does this mean this is going to be yet another switch for no real reason?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Standard IS 32mm. Standard WAS 25mm.
Price rise on the new BA Tac box is understandable IF (and only if) compared to the price of a standard Tac squad.
Considering that a current Tac squad is ridiculous, though...

...and the reason a Sang Priest is more expensive is because they're not models that will sell in tons, like Tac Squads. They are in plastic (more expensive to produce) and nobody typically needs more than a handful. So, they're more expensive because they have to be in order for GW to recoup costs and make a huge profit.

Eric

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

As of right now, the 32mm are just for Blood Angels. Though I would not be surprised to see them kick em out for everything (and it would make guardsmen at least look a little smaller) as they go along. But right now the standard is still 25mm, but the new BA stuff comes with 32mm.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Yeah, that sanguinary priest's price is pretty absurd... IDK what warrants the price to recoup vs. say, wyrd's minis, which are a very similar plastic but $11-16 for a single (character) model until you get to something cavalry-sized.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

NuWishA wrote:As of right now, the 32mm are just for Blood Angels. Though I would not be surprised to see them kick em out for everything (and it would make guardsmen at least look a little smaller) as they go along. But right now the standard is still 25mm, but the new BA stuff comes with 32mm.
That is just because they're the first Infantry units to come out since the upgrade.
GW is moving to 32mm bases in place of 25mm. I saw a post somewhere that says bags of 32mm bases will be released, too.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:
NuWishA wrote:As of right now, the 32mm are just for Blood Angels. Though I would not be surprised to see them kick em out for everything (and it would make guardsmen at least look a little smaller) as they go along. But right now the standard is still 25mm, but the new BA stuff comes with 32mm.
That is just because they're the first Infantry units to come out since the upgrade.
GW is moving to 32mm bases in place of 25mm. I saw a post somewhere that says bags of 32mm bases will be released, too.

Eric
We don't actually know that they are doing it for all 25mm. Current theory is just marines. The 32s are being sold through the web store.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

Wonderful, so now I will have to rebase all my current minis in the next year just to be able to play them? GW is getting more absurd by the day........

Now they've redone their last thing they could remake......bases. Go figure.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

npd_bigdaddy wrote:Wonderful, so now I will have to rebase all my current minis in the next year just to be able to play them? GW is getting more absurd by the day........
Here lies the issue. In the past, GW stated use the base supplied. Fine. Lets roll with that. New BA bolter tact marines on 25s and terminators on 40. No need to rebase there. They just blend into your collection. Now here comes new BA tact guy with a heavy flamer or grav gun which never had 25s before. Now what?

If you visit another site (no free plug-think Metallica and Ride the Lighting), someone there posted a email that they sent to GW about this issue. Gw's responce was use whatever base you like. The designers used a 32 as it looked more dynamic with the model. I emailed GW UK about this and got the same responce.

TO will have a nightmare. A BA army with 32s against a Chaos army on 25s?? Good luck sorting out that mess.

Playing in your basement for SnG? Shouldnt be an issue.

If your OCD and what the same look to your army across the board?? Your issue. Enjoy your day.

Myself?? DA player. No issues for now. IF GW redoes the first and finest and uses 32s....Ill dig 3rd party sellers for something. Either new 32 bases and glue the 25 to the or as Ive seen someone already making ring to go around the 25s. I have already looked into Home Depot for fender washeres and had no luck.

Jason

PS... 40 mm bases terminators are a very tight fit in GWs foam trays now. Interesting to see how 32s fit........
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah there's no indication that anyone has to rebase anything.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

pretre wrote:Yeah there's no indication that anyone has to rebase anything.
Well, come on.

We all know where this is headed, ultimately.

Any TO worth his salt will insist on current basing standards (32mm for Marines, 25mm for lesser troops, etc.) once the next army gets its 32mm bases.

GW will continue with nonsense like "Play whatever makes you happy!" or "We recommend that models be based on the bases they came with." So I can mount my metal termies on 25mm bases, but plastic only on 40mm? And my pewter Tyranid Warriors will just go on these here square bases then....

Personally, I won't rebase anything. The last time I built metal termies, I put them on the larger bases (which I do think are preferable), but there's no way I'm going to rebase 600 Marines.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

Agreed. Most of my models are older. I still play my awesome all metal Cadian army. None of the heavy weapons teams came with bases. Good luck finding anyone that will let you field heavy weapons teams not on a large base. I had to base those. Then there's the issue of my Khorne Demons on square bases like you said......the old metal Juggers always had square bases, as did demon princes. Now granted, those usually slide for me, but as you said look at all the 2nd edition Nids.

Yeah, anyone that doesn't think the trend will happen to eventual rebasing is deluding themselves. That's fine, I'm more of a old school fluff bunny good time guy list builder anyway. I gave up playing competitive once GW did away with the Grand Tournaments. That was always a fun weekend getaway.........

Erik
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:
pretre wrote:Yeah there's no indication that anyone has to rebase anything.
Well, come on.

We all know where this is headed, ultimately.

Any TO worth his salt will insist on current basing standards (32mm for Marines, 25mm for lesser troops, etc.) once the next army gets its 32mm bases.

GW will continue with nonsense like "Play whatever makes you happy!" or "We recommend that models be based on the bases they came with." So I can mount my metal termies on 25mm bases, but plastic only on 40mm? And my pewter Tyranid Warriors will just go on these here square bases then....

Personally, I won't rebase anything. The last time I built metal termies, I put them on the larger bases (which I do think are preferable), but there's no way I'm going to rebase 600 Marines.
Actually most of the Tournaments have the rule that you have to use whatever base was provided with the model. So that means I've seen Termies on 25mm and Metal Tau Broadsides on 40mm.

For a base change of this magnitude I would think thatn any TO worth his salt will say keep them on the base they came one.

And the leading rumours is the 32 will be for all 25mm based models, not just marines
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

optimusprime14 wrote: Actually most of the Tournaments have the rule that you have to use whatever base was provided with the model.
http://www.adepticon.org/14rules/2014modelpolicy.pdf

Certainly there are a few tournaments out there that permit the "base it came with", but they aren't the majority. Even NOVA's policy, which states "base it came with" is addressing third-party and custom base sizes, not legacy bases.
optimusprime14 wrote: For a base change of this magnitude I would think thatn any TO worth his salt will say keep them on the base they came one.
That may be. There will be advantages and disadvantages for certain classes of model.
optimusprime14 wrote: And the leading rumours is the 32 will be for all 25mm based models, not just marines
There's a lot of unsubstantiated talk around this, that's true.

It could go either way.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”