USPS insurance claim prep question

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

exwingzero ( 12 )
New Trader

USPS insurance claim prep question

Post by exwingzero »

Hi guys, I recently had a package get lost by the USPS. I had shipped it priority and it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere in NJ with only a tracking number but no address.
I was told over the phone that it's in a warehouse and getting it back was probably not going to happen, but my local post office gave me a hard time saying it can still be delivered (which is kind of the opposite of what customer service had said). I gave them my tracking number, my customer service confirmation number and told them what was in it. I got the models from a trade and don't have a receipt. I said I have my conversation with my buyer, but they said that wasn't proof of worth, because I could say it was worth whatever. They said printing out MSRP from the company that made them ok.

What's normal protocol for claiming insurance when dealing with USPS? They were vague and made me feel like them loosing my package was my fault, so I may get some resistance and I just want to tie my loose ends and not get pushed around.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: USPS insurance claim prep question

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, I don't understand something... They're sitting in a warehouse somewhere with the tracking # on them, but no address?
They told you this?
If they know where they are and you have the proof that you sent them (receipt) which shows, at least, the city, state and zip code... Why the F acn't they take your word for the street address? That makes no damned sense.

Hopefully, kturock will see this thread and respond. He's the kind of resident USPS guru.

It sounds to me like, at worst, you need to print out a bunch of screen shots from the manufacturer, showing what each model is worth and combine it with a printed copy of the PM where you specify what you are sending.
Seems weird to me, as I'm certain that will add up to more than you were getting for them. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
borthcollective ( 278 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by borthcollective »

I know you are asking about insurance on here, but it doesn't say that your package was mailed with insurance. Did you purchase insurance, or just the standard $50 that they add automatically now?
exwingzero ( 12 )
New Trader

Post by exwingzero »

Thanks both of you.
I had shipped Priority mail inside the US, that by default has $50 insurance. I had provided my own box so USPS had placed a sticker on it with the return address and address. That had come off and the tracking label had stayed on.
When I called they were able to pull up the info based on the tracking, they had taken a picture and said the box had no label for address. I think the issue is that it's in a warehouse with no way of finding it? I really don't know. I told the woman that I could give them the address and she said well it's in a warehouse.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

When she said, "Well, it's in a warehouse," your response should've been, "Then let me speak to someone who can help me, please."

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

well, understand, the woman you talked to, isn't a postal employee. They are contract employees, who work in call centers. Yup, today they're answering usps questions, tomorrow, someone elses.
She' only reading what on a screen. There aren't any warehouses. There are sorting facilities and places mail is held, but no where mail is stored. [that's against the law]. Saying that, if mail is damaged, or has no address; like yours; it sits until someone opens it and either sends it forward/backward, sees it matches a missing item claim and sends it out, or destorys it.
Hopefully you put a shiping invoice, with both addresses [sender & receiver], in the box. Then when it get's opened by a usps employee, they'll send it forward or back. [that's part of the reason you have to wait for refunds/claims on lost mail. It's somewhere, but not destroyed. [yet]
Since it was sent Priority Mail with insurance, you'll get paid. BUT, there's a time limit you have t wait for non-delivery. I psoted a link that I asked to be sticked, on the new rules & regs for stuff like this.

Heer's a link to it again:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228679 .

Enter the tracking number at usps.com . See where it is/was last. Call 'customer service' and ask to speak to someone at that facility. Then ask again. Then ask to speak to the CSR's supervisor. Repeat until you talk to someone and they look for it or get in touch with the right facility to do that.

Unfortunately, when W. charged the postmaster to run USPS like a business, 'customer service' went away; like most other businesses. That's why it's usps.com and not usps.gov.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

kturock wrote: I psoted a link that I asked to be sticked, on the new rules & regs for stuff like this.
Yup. Stickied it myself:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228679

Eric

exwingzero ( 12 )
New Trader

Post by exwingzero »

Thank you very much for the help, I'll check out the article a bit later. I'll let you know how it goes.
Much appreciated everyone.
~Joseph

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”