why do some US sellers refuse to ship to Canada?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: why do some US sellers refuse to ship to Canada?

Post by 3eland »

MagickalMemories wrote:First:
Let's make sure to keep it friendly, folks.

Second:
The difference is that US Customs doesn't regularly hold up incoming packages for a week or more.
When shipping to Canada, more than half of my shipments, I'd estimate, have seen a week (5 days - business week) in Customs. I had one package there for a month and a half, with no explanation... and it was never even opened.

Eric
LOL whaaaaaaat

That is pretty bad. I get stuff shipped to me from all over the world and it never stays more than two days tops (minus Holiday season) in customs. You might just be getting bad luck. I also find that what you put down as the item can really make a difference. Used toy soldiers is easier to understand than used Warhammer toys or other things I have seen people put.

Also, in my experience, shipping to Canada from US is A LOT more expensive than Canada to US. Upwards to 25% more in some cases. I had a trade going with a gent from the US and when we got to shipping we went out and got a quote, my shipping (a large box about 5 lb) was 40ish including tracking and insurance and his was 50ish (was around the same size and weight).

I just have a policy for myself that the moment I start communicating a trade I tell my partner where I am from (in case they failed to read it in my post or bio) and I let them know what average prices are. This way they can decide ahead of time to deal with me. Many times they back out saying it's too much and I understand greatly.

Postage needs to be fixed between borders.. simply put.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Kradlo ( 60 )
BTown Regular

Post by Kradlo »

I will, on occasion, purchase something on eBay from outside the U.S. When I do so, I know that the shipping can be erratic, and I feel like I'm taking a bit of a risk. I no longer sell items to buyers outside the U.S., because I can't track the shipment. I had an eBay item shipped to Italy that took weeks to deliver, during which time the buyer was asking for a refund. The item did arrive and all was well, but I don't want to deal with that again. Shipping in the U.S. allows me to send with tracking information. Outside our borders, it's a crapshoot.
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I have been able to track shipments cross US-Can border, but that has been a more recent (just over a year) development. I do find it odd that the US-Can shipping is about 10-15% more than the Can-US rate, minimum from me in Toronto (I can drive to the border in 1.5-2 hrs) is $7. That is for a small, light package. Avg shipping for me is $15.

I understand that alot of traders don't want to ship internationally, and they have the right to choose that. However I do make a point to try to educate anyone I'm trading with if they have never shipped to Canada before. It's not as easy as shipping domestic but it's not difficult either as long as you are aware of it.

I have had to wait a week before so a shipment could clear customs. I typically expect 10 business days before I receive my shipment after it has shipped. Another thing of note is that our post office only opperates M-F. I see alot of US guys say they can ship on a Saturday (now this may be me misunderstanding it) but that automatically makes our shipping 17% slower. Customs is a big deal buT if poepl know to put "Used toy/model" it doesn't qualify for a customs fee. Most fo the stuff traded on this site will fall into that catagory.

Fact is I have resigned myself to this, I have lost on a few good trades simply based on which side of an imaginary line I live on. There are alot more US based people on here so it has set a level of expectation that my address can not match. I work hard to be a good trader and I hope that with each successful trade I do, it makes one more US person willing to trade with a Canadian.

One thing I ask is never ever ship UPS or FedEx. That adds on at least $40 regardless of value. Always ship USPS.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

3eland wrote:
MagickalMemories wrote:First:
Let's make sure to keep it friendly, folks.

Second:
The difference is that US Customs doesn't regularly hold up incoming packages for a week or more.
When shipping to Canada, more than half of my shipments, I'd estimate, have seen a week (5 days - business week) in Customs. I had one package there for a month and a half, with no explanation... and it was never even opened.

Eric
LOL whaaaaaaat

That is pretty bad. I get stuff shipped to me from all over the world and it never stays more than two days tops (minus Holiday season) in customs. You might just be getting bad luck. I also find that what you put down as the item can really make a difference. Used toy soldiers is easier to understand than used Warhammer toys or other things I have seen people put.
I can't say it's indicative of all shipping from US to Canada, but it's been indicative of MY shipping from the US to Canada. Bad luck or not, that's just the way it usually goes for me. I always mark my packages "Used Toy Models" (with the correct value) when shipping (unless "Used Books," or something would be more appropriate).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I usually write used toys or used books, or both.
Everything, once it's out of it's package, is used.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I don't know if it's as fair to say that Bartertown is a US-centric site so much as US traders tend to be US-centric.

It is as much a hassle for someone outside the US to ship there as it is for someone to ship from the US to outside.

But I do agree with MM that there can be some specific nation-based delays. It's hit and miss for me.

It has gotten considerably more expensive to ship from the US to Canada, which is why I have obtained a PO box in the US and use that for almost all transactions now. I go down once a month (or every couple of) and pick up. It's like Christmas.

It is VERY frustrating to have US traders flat out refuse to ship here, since the burden of cost is almost always on the recipient. I do understand that there may be some additional time involved, but Imaginos, you didn't get to 322 without investing a little time here and there, :)
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

I have had a hard time getting tracking to Canada, plus it usually take weeks instead of days for the package to get there, so I tend to avoid shipping to Canada.
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

No in defence of my Country's shipping, it does some to quantify a statement like that. At a 62 rep, you've had 31 trades, which is a good amount. How many of those have been to Canada?

I know 1 bad experience can ruin someone's opinion, but don't judge a whole country by 1 person, that's what the Germans do!
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

There is one other reason why I am not typically enthused about trading to/from Canada. It didn't happen to me on a trade, but on a Christmas package from my mother-in-law to our family. Some of the items she declared (jewelry) on the form were not in the box when it arrived. I do not believe my mother-in-law was trying to scam us, as whatever she was sending was up to her. The box had been opened and inspected by US customs according to the tape that was applied to it. Customs did not mark anything missing, though they definitely were when it delivered.
Last edited by Imaginos on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

optimusprime14 wrote:No in defence of my Country's shipping, it does some to quantify a statement like that. At a 62 rep, you've had 31 trades, which is a good amount. How many of those have been to Canada?

I know 1 bad experience can ruin someone's opinion, but don't judge a whole country by 1 person, that's what the Germans do!
I've had a couple and honestly haven't any bad experiences, but for me it's the potential that's the problem and if I can sell an item for the same price to a buyer in the US, why would I deal with that certainty.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Imaginos wrote:There is one other reason why I am not typically enthused about trading to/from Canada. It didn't happen to me on a trade, but on a Christmas package from my mother-in-law to our family. Some of the items she declared (jewelry) on the form were not in the box when it arrived. I do not believe my mother-in-law was trying to scam us, as whatever she was sending was up to her. The box had been opened and inspected by US customs according to the tape that was applied to it. Customs did not mark anything missing, though they definitely were when it delivered.
And what did the police and USPS say when you reported this?
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:
Imaginos wrote:There is one other reason why I am not typically enthused about trading to/from Canada. It didn't happen to me on a trade, but on a Christmas package from my mother-in-law to our family. Some of the items she declared (jewelry) on the form were not in the box when it arrived. I do not believe my mother-in-law was trying to scam us, as whatever she was sending was up to her. The box had been opened and inspected by US customs according to the tape that was applied to it. Customs did not mark anything missing, though they definitely were when it delivered.
And what did the police and USPS say when you reported this?
I left the reporting to my wife (it was addressed to her) and she did not want to bother with it. It was not expensive items, but that wasn't the point.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Imaginos wrote: I left the reporting to my wife (it was addressed to her) and she did not want to bother with it. It was not expensive items, but that wasn't the point.
Sucks. 95% of everything I receive is from outside Canada, and I can say I've never had anything stolen by customs or the mail carriers/handlers -- though one or two things have disappeared entirely, so maybe I'm wrong.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

Back 20 years ago, I shipped a package to my niece and nephew. My (now ex) wife at the time shipped them from her work, taping the two boxes together. I got a call from my brother cursing me out because I only sent a present to one of them. Some calming down and questioning later, turns out someone from UPS used a box cutter and cut the tape all around, nice and smooth, to make it look like there weren't 2 boxes.

*edit* people can work anywhere. Consider all of the times people deal with stuff stolen from their luggage by baggage handlers. Not much to do except declare martial law and let Dredd deal with them all.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”