Pay the ship vs ship then pay.... does rating matter?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Re: Pay the ship vs ship then pay.... does rating matter?

Post by frankcastle »

pretre wrote:
frankcastle wrote:Sorry guys I am not getting the answer to the question that I tried to ask.

I have a rating 8 a seller has a rating 2 and is offering 60% off MSRP on NIB items. Sounds almost too good to be true. So I would proceeds with a bit more caution. All my other purchases were with double digit or better sellers.

So in being cautious could I ask that they ship first or would I get laughed at?
I would go halfsies with him. Pay half now and half on arrival. You guys basically have the same rating at this point.
That's a good idea.
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

Adunaphel wrote:He might (and I stress might) be willing to ship first. I think a difference of 6 on trade rating is taking the whole "you ship first" to an extreme. I will pay or ship simultaneously with traders who have 500 or 600 less of a rating than me if I feel that their references look good.

If I was him and had a 2 rating (and we all did) and you asked me to ship first with an 8, I would say no. Now if you had a 48 or so with all good references, then yes I would ship first before you pay.
How big of an order were you going to place?

Karl
That was my feeling that a diff of 6 is nothing. So at what point does it become significant?

Well the amount spent would have been somewhere between 100 and 200. Does that play into the decision process?
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

Everything should play into the decision process. I think the half down and half upon completion is a great idea for the types of trade ratings that you are talking about.
EVERYBODY is different about how they view the trade ratings. Have you talked about this to your trade partner? Ultimately, it is up to him/her and you.

We can all give you advice, but each and every trade is a little different on here. MM mentioned actually putting references into the trade. Which works for him (and I think it's a great idea). But, I wouldn't do it. I am a little more laid back. I WANT you to feel like you had a good trade with me and give me a good reference. I usually remind my trade partners every couple of days until they leave a reference.
Usually, they either forgot or messed it up when they went to leave it. I would try to keep POLITELY reminding them about it. It is important.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

No I didn't talk with the seller as someone else offered to buy the entire set and I only was offering to buy a portion. So it's really a moot point but I was more curious about for teh future.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah, Adunaphel is spot on. Talk to him about it and see how he feels. Good to know for the future.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

frankcastle wrote:Sorry guys I am not getting the answer to the question that I tried to ask.

I have a rating 8 a seller has a rating 2 and is offering 60% off MSRP on NIB items. Sounds almost too good to be true. So I would proceeds with a bit more caution. All my other purchases were with double digit or better sellers.

So in being cautious could I ask that they ship first or would I get laughed at?
You might get laughed at, but it is your prerogative to set certain rules. As your rating isn't much more than theirs, though, you might end up having to come to some sort of an agreement that meets in the middle, like you pay half up front.
Something else you could do -BUT ONLY WITH THEIR PERMISSION, as it would be an a-hole thing to do to them, otherwise- is to send the payment then immediately file an "Items not received" claim (whatever it's called). It puts a hold on the money that gets removed after you acknowledge receiving the items. This ensures that they get and provide a tracking number, because they will want it to protect themselves.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle »

MagickalMemories wrote:

You might get laughed at, but it is your prerogative to set certain rules. As your rating isn't much more than theirs, though, you might end up having to come to some sort of an agreement that meets in the middle, like you pay half up front.
Something else you could do -BUT ONLY WITH THEIR PERMISSION, as it would be an a-hole thing to do to them, otherwise- is to send the payment then immediately file an "Items not received" claim (whatever it's called). It puts a hold on the money that gets removed after you acknowledge receiving the items. This ensures that they get and provide a tracking number, because they will want it to protect themselves.

Eric
Yeah that's an ahole move. I think meeting in the middle is probably the best solution.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

You could always use an intermedary.
Find a trader with a high rating and ask them to act as a go between. A local one would be best, if possible.
I see you're in Canada, so I would guess that the other trader was also.
Keeping in in the country, would keep shipping lower, but it'd still cost more to ship it twice than once. [if a local higher trader isn't available.]

I've sold or traded for local players. I pack the items to be shipped and send them. I receive and reveiw the items when received. I receive the money or pay the money.

If the trade is in Canada only, does Canada Post have a Cash on Demand service? [COD] Where the seller ships and pays postage plus a fee. The buyer pays the post office and the post office send out a money order. I know in the US, the seller can say 'cash only' so the buyer can't pay with a check, and bounce it.

Just my 2 bits.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

kturock wrote:You could always use an intermedary.
Find a trader with a high rating and ask them to act as a go between. A local one would be best, if possible.
Keeping in in the country, would keep shipping lower, but it'd still cost more to ship it twice than once. [if a local higher trader isn't available.]

I've sold or traded for local players. I pack the items to be shipped and send them. I receive and reveiw the items when received. I receive the money or pay the money.

If the trade is in Canada only, does Canada Post have a Cash on Demand service? [COD] Where the seller ships and pays postage plus a fee. The buyer pays the post office and the post office send out a money order. I know in the US, the seller can say 'cash only' so the buyer can't pay with a check, and bounce it.

Just my 2 bits.
Yes, Canada Post has a "Collection on Delivery" you can add to packages for about 7 dollars CAD.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

frankcastle wrote:
MagickalMemories wrote:

Eric
Yeah that's an ahole move. I think meeting in the middle is probably the best solution.
It's an a-hole move if you're not up front about it. If you say, "If you really insist on me paying first, then how about this..." then present it, there's really not anything wrong with it, if they are in agreement.
kturock wrote:You could always use an intermedary.
Keeping in in the country, would keep shipping lower, but it'd still cost more to ship it twice than once. [if a local higher trader isn't available.
Both before and after being staff, I've been approached to do this. My answer always has and always will be No. If you act as an intermediary (Escrow service, essentially), you're making yourself legally responsible for anything in your possession. Most people are not licensed or insured for that so, if anyone accuses you of wrong-doing, you could be looking at some legal headaches.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”