"PM sent" as reply

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

shrimpchips ( 52 )
New Trader

"PM sent" as reply

Post by shrimpchips »

Why do people post "PM sent" as a reply to ads? It doesn't add anything to the thread. The OP knows a PM was sent because he is sent an email and sees message waiting on the site. It's possible the OP only notices he got a PM by seeing the reply but not that likely. It might also serve as deterrent to other potential buyers/traders as it shows there is interest in an ad. Those are the only reasons I can come up with.

More importantly since I'm subscribed to forum notifications it triggers an email every time someone does that and it's annoying to click the link only to see that the forum reply was "PM sent".
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Re: "PM sent" as reply

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

shrimpchips wrote:Why do people post "PM sent" as a reply to ads? It doesn't add anything to the thread. The OP knows a PM was sent because he is sent an email and sees message waiting on the site. It's possible the OP only notices he got a PM by seeing the reply but not that likely. It might also serve as deterrent to other potential buyers/traders as it shows there is interest in an ad. Those are the only reasons I can come up with.

More importantly since I'm subscribed to forum notifications it triggers an email every time someone does that and it's annoying to click the link only to see that the forum reply was "PM sent".

Yes, it is hugely annoying.

What it does do is communicate to the OP that there is activity in their thread, only useful if their "Receive PM notifications" is turned off.

It's also a slightly passive-aggressive way to "claim" stuff offered in the ad--other interested parties may not respond on the assumption that it's too late.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

I've long assumed - right or wrong - it is an artifact from the days when the PM notifiers were slightly more buggy.

I agree with Sorrow - at this point it's a passive-aggressive stamp of MINE! on the thread.

--Robert
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Many times I think I pressed the PM button but instead pressed the Quote button out of habit. So then I immediately edit my post with "PM Sent" and then paste my message in an actual PM lol. I've done the opposite too, accidentally pressing PM rather than quote. Sometimes your just tired and forget.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
hapotte ( 514 )
Millenium Trader

Post by hapotte »

3eland wrote:Many times I think I pressed the PM button but instead pressed the Quote button out of habit. So then I immediately edit my post with "PM Sent" and then paste my message in an actual PM lol. I've done the opposite too, accidentally pressing PM rather than quote. Sometimes your just tired and forget.
Same here :) I think I pressed PM and my reply is in the post, a quick "PM sent" fixes this.....
info about shipping: Lower ratting pays/ship first and I live in Canada.
thank you
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

If the person quotes the original post, it keeps that in history in case the person goes back in and changes it.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I can see the point of "pm sent" being annoying if the OP is listing one item. However, many people list many things so perhaps saying 'PM sent on item X' should be more of the way to go. I myself will do that more often. This way if I want X and another person wants Z than everyone knows what is going on. Traders would still talk about trading items via PM (which is the way BT likes it).
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

I don't do it to be passive-aggressive.

Just aggressive.. I NEEDS MAH PLASTIC CRACK!
Sinjin ( 182 )
BTown Regular

Post by Sinjin »

I had a guy do that to one of my posts. My post was about looking for GF-9 dice, and it said I had various stuff to trade for it. So he puts PMed in my ad, sends me a PM telling me all the stuff he is interested in, which is way more then the dice. No problem, just make up the difference with cash. Come to find out 3 days later he didn't even have the fricken dice and just wanted to buy my stuff!! I was so pissed! He cost me the trade I was looking for!!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Hmm... if the ad wasn't clear that your items were ONLY available for the dice, I might've done something similar, myself.
Just saying.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Sinjin ( 182 )
BTown Regular

Post by Sinjin »

MagickalMemories wrote:Hmm... if the ad wasn't clear that your items were ONLY available for the dice, I might've done something similar, myself.
Just saying.

Eric
I've done similar things myself, but I didn't put "Pm sent" in their trade ad, and I let them know up front that I don't have what they are looking for, but if they are willing to just sell them I'm interested.
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

Sinjin wrote:I had a guy do that to one of my posts. My post was about looking for GF-9 dice, and it said I had various stuff to trade for it. So he puts PMed in my ad, sends me a PM telling me all the stuff he is interested in, which is way more then the dice. No problem, just make up the difference with cash. Come to find out 3 days later he didn't even have the fricken dice and just wanted to buy my stuff!! I was so pissed! He cost me the trade I was looking for!!

PM Sent!

(not really) :mrgreen: :shocked: :mrgreen:
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Imaginos wrote:
Sinjin wrote:I had a guy do that to one of my posts. My post was about looking for GF-9 dice, and it said I had various stuff to trade for it. So he puts PMed in my ad, sends me a PM telling me all the stuff he is interested in, which is way more then the dice. No problem, just make up the difference with cash. Come to find out 3 days later he didn't even have the fricken dice and just wanted to buy my stuff!! I was so pissed! He cost me the trade I was looking for!!

PM Sent!

(not really) :mrgreen: :shocked: :mrgreen:

Crud. You beat me to it...

[bump] ;-)
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”