Need some more RPG advice

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Need some more RPG advice

Post by CMSheats »

Hey guys, a little while I was on here asking for some advice about RPG's. What I need to know now (From some guys who have played stuff like this) is a good system that would work with about four guys that would meet once a week. I have never really done any stuff like this before, so please forgive me if I am being unrealistic (In the meeting time). So, what would be a good place to start for a newly created group who has never played stuff like this? A good place to buy terrain? A good rule book? (Or whatever you need for stuff like this :lol: ) I would really appreciate any advice. Again, forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. : ) Thanks!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Need some more RPG advice

Post by kturock »

http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html

the 1st lin is to a set of FREE test drive rules for the Savage Worlds system. It's an open sytem with many different genre's. I beleve that it even comes with a small adventure with cardstock minis.

The 2nd link is to other free downloads for some of the different games using the SW rules. Some of them are complete adventures with cardstock models.
Some are designed for players unfamiliar with the system.
The home page has a link to the forum if you have any questions.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

Well...
Those are some pretty open ended questions. What kind of game do you want to play? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Steampunk? Horror? Superhero?

Were you going to be the "gamemaster"? If so, you should probably have the first say on which game you would like to try.
Have the four of you come together and talked about the type of game you would like to play?

Once a week is a fine schedule (in my opinion). Four players is a little small, but it will work.

How imaginative are the member's of your group? The gaming group I have doesn't use any kind of figures, terrain, or flip maps. He use our imaginations and an occasional white board for particularly hard puzzles or in depth combats. When I play with my kids, we use a grid and either paper standups or old ral partha figures for our roleplaying.

Does the group that you are starting with play 40K or Warhammer? Maybe if you all have, then one of those RPG's might help to start with because you already have a little of the background. Although, there are probably easier systems to start out with.

There are just SO many questions. :-D

You might want a couple of copies of the "main rulebook" of whatever game you end up deciding to play. I have played an RPG with one rulebook in the group and it gets somewhat comical during gaming sessions.

So, maybe some more information and we can help you out a little more. I am sure that MagicalMemories would love to chime in on what system you should try out and there are other diehard RPGers on the site.

I do have some ideas, but it would help to know what your group would like to try. It won't do any good going through every Sci-Fi RPG when your group wants to play vampires in ancient Rome... :wink:

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

You're right, Karl. I WOULD love to chime in...
Unfortunately, you said everything I was going to say!

LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Ok, well I will try to answer as many questions as I can.

The group has never played Fantasy Battles or 40k. (Only LoTR Strategy Battles)

They are wanting the RPG to be Fantasy

There are only four of us, including myself

As far as how imaginative they are.... They want a system where you have your model, (Whatever it might be) and you run around killing other models in dounges and towns ect and leveling up and the like. Then in turn building your self up by getting better weapons, armor, gear, spells and so on. And then fighting bigger and better bad guys as you get farther along in the game. And I know that there should be some epic story line in there to fuel the game, but that is a whole nother problem. :-D Now, like I said, I have never done anything like this before. So I don't know if these are a whole bunch of losers that have no idea what a RPG is. That's why I am trying to figure this stuff out with guys who know. :lol:

Hope that clarifys it some for you. Thanks for the help!

Chris
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

A cool Retro fantasy RPG is Labyrinth Lord by Goblinoid Games. Its also FREE to download & print. Its like the old Basic D&D red & blue box sets. There is a forum & plenty of adventures out there. I'm at work now but ill try to throw a link out later tonight.
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

Labyrinth Lord probably would be a good place to start. The rulebook is a free download and has everything you need to play a game. There is also a free Companion book that is like an advanced version of the rulebook. I like the way the Companion book lists the character classes (including more choices). You would just need dice, pencil, paper, and whatever physical representations for your characters that you want. It would certainly help you understand where to start. It is NOT flashy though.

It is fairly simplistic, so it might be a great way to put your toe in the water.

There are literally a ton of RPG options out there. If you or your group has seen something out there that has caught your eye, let us know and hopefully we can help you out with your choice. We can probably help out with ideas too, if you need them.

You could PM me if you have more questions as you go along. I don't mind at all.

Karl

themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

If you have NEVER roleplayed before it would probably be worthwhile to get one of the "starter" editions like D&D or the new Pathfinder starter. They really are geared towards people that have no prior experience, and both are adequate gateways to the wilder world of RPGs.

They aren't free but I suspect they are more user-friendly. They are really good at getting a brand new player/group of players up and running.

(I don't know LL but I know that Savage Worlds is a little difficult for totally new players - it really benefits from at least a Gamemaster who has played Savage Worlds already, if not any other RPG)

--Robert
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Labyrinth Lord is as simple as it gets. The fact that each player can read & print his own Rulebook for free is a great bonus.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Wow, ok that sounds great! Looks like Labyrinth Lord would be a good place to start for us. I really appreciate all the help guys. Thanks a TON!

Chris
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Goblinoid Games has a great gaming forum. Check it out. Lots of adventures are also available. Good luck!! I'm Blood Axe on the forums there.
wookieegunner ( 66 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by wookieegunner »

Honestly, you might also look into a board game based campaign like they do with Descent by Fantasy Flight Games.
By trading with me you agree that all signature based trade rules are not in force. If it isn't in the PM thread then it doesn't apply.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Silly question:
Are you sure that you guys want a ROLE PLAYING game?
There are a lot of "in character" style interactions with RPG's that you didn't even cover in your description. In fact, a lot of what you mentioned could be handled with miniature battle games.

For example, in Mordheim, players build a small warband of models who go out and fight each other. At the end of every battle, you level up, upgrade equipment, etc.
I am certain there are other games out there that would let you do something similar, but with 1 person controlling the enemies and each of the players having an individual model or two on the table.

Just a thought.

Eric

[Edit] Wookie, I thought about that but, as I recall, there's no "leveling up" system in Descent. Right?
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

The only "leveling up" you can do in Descent is if you play the Road to Legend expansion. And to be honest, I wasn't completely thrilled with it. It worked ok and was fun, but not as much fun as I had hoped.

It does sound like they want to play an RPG. They should at least try one. They might get hooked.

I do have to say that the Pathfinder Beginner Box is a very well crafted introduction into roleplaying games. If you feel that you are really lost after looking through the Labyrinth Lord rules, you might want to check out the Pathfinder beginner box. It costs more, but it does really ease your way into character creation and the basic rules for Pathfinder. Plus, it has a fairly nice adventure in it. I started my two kids with the beginner box (ages 11 and 12) and they took to Pathfinder rather well. We are now playing the full Pathfinder game.

If an RPG doesn't work for you and your group, but you still like the idea of having a leveling up experience while playing a miniatures battle game. Then, you really owe it to your group to try out Mordheim (or Necromunda if you want to do it Sci-fi). Mordheim is a GREAT game.

Karl

themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

Yeah, there are a lot of sort of "hybrid" RPG/minis games out there, that offer a little from column A, a little from column B. Mordheim in campaign mode is definitely one of them.

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”