Different trading practices?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Different trading practices?

Post by spiralingcadaver »

I don't know if this is the right location for this (hopefully some mod will move it if it isn't), but I've noticed a trend, and I'm not sure if it's just bad luck, or if anyone else has seen this (and before I get started, this is really not targeted at anyone)...

I've been trading here for years, now, and recently have been making the shift back towards 40k.

I've done well over a hundred trades, and every now and then, there's a problem (missing arm, missing detail bit, etc.), but this is nothing compared to what I've been getting from people selling/trading GW stuff recently. I've done somewhere nearing a dozen trades recently, and not had one of them contain exactly what they say it will.

For example,

"Super glue"-->plastic glue
"x space marine bits" --> y space marine bits
"complete kit" --> kit missing a few key pieces
"x pieces" --> a number of random things, some of which resemble x

It just feels like every time, it'll be a mystery box. Now, sometimes, it ends up as more (though different) than what we agreed on coming my way, and with any actual problems, it's eventually gotten resolved with compensation or returns and never gotten to threats about reports or anything, so it's not like I'm calling people out, but it's just bizarre. Trading any other system, I feel pretty assured that I know what I'm getting, but now with GW.

Has this just been a weird run of luck, or is this something more common?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Different trading practices?

Post by MagickalMemories »

I've had it happen. It's rare (for me), though. Over 90% of my trades and purchases have been GW.
Not to point any fingers your way (DEFINITELY not), and I am absolutely not saying it is in any way your fault but, that said, how specific do you get on your trades?
Myself, I get a bit pedantic. I'll ask you the same question 4 times in a row if you don't answer it. If your answer is vague, I'll ask clarifying questions until I'm satisfied. I'm not the kind of guy who likes surprises. So, I tend to make sure that I get info on my trades in GREAT detail. I tend to OFFER detail to the same degree, as well.

Again, not to say it's your fault but, if you're not doing this, maybe you should.
For that matter, "you" really kind of means anyone reading this post and not just "You," spiralingcadaver.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Hi, I got it, and, yeah, I ask things like
"what type of glue do you use?"
"what pieces are missing?"

etc.

There have definitely been some where I didn't really think to ask if "space marine heads" could mean "blood angels heads," so that sort of thing is on me, but there's a fair amount of stuff that's just been inconsistent with what they've said...
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Ah. Inconsistencies.
Yeah. That's just freaking annoying.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
roddo ( 146 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by roddo »

One thing I've noticed is if i pm someone in the 40k area for a trade I get a response maybe 1/4 times, while If I pm in the PP area its closer to 3/4. I'm guessing it has to do with the differences in age of the players.
Now the important Stuff:
lower rating ships first
Delivery confirmation prefered
please allow me at least a day to reply, 1-2 days for pictures
if you need pics of anything, please ask, and give an E-mail to send it to
If you want to buy please send offer, worst that can happen is that I say no
BUYING OR SELLING BUYER PAYS FIRST REGARDLESS OF RATING, PAYPAL OFFERS ALOT MORE PROTECTION THAN YOUR RATING DOES
Paypal settings: Personal->payment owed(or gift, etc...) They will not charge you fees
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

roddo wrote:One thing I've noticed is if i pm someone in the 40k area for a trade I get a response maybe 1/4 times, while If I pm in the PP area its closer to 3/4. I'm guessing it has to do with the differences in age of the players.
Ah, you're right, that's probably a lot of it.
-Nietzsche

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”