Can you prime over painted minis?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Can you prime over painted minis?

Post by CMSheats »

Oh ya, I have got some of that stuff. I will have to give it a try. Would the new rubber mulch that people have started using in their gardens work?
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

It's Cedar bark. You can get it at any garden and hardware store for a few bucks. Or for free from a unsuspecting neighbor I will try and get some pics of a few of the pieces I have done with it. it looks amazing.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I feel safe in presuming that the rubber would not work well at all.

Norse - Do you wash your bark at all? If so, how?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I generally spray paint black and then drybrush on a grey or tan. Worked amazing looks very realistic. Havent tried washing. There may be some problems with liquid swelling the wood. I would think a light or watered down paint would work better than a wash.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

That sounds great. I didn't think about the wash swelling the wood. This is why I am getting info from you guys before I try anything stupid. :)
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

CMSheats wrote:That sounds great. I didn't think about the wash swelling the wood. This is why I am getting info from you guys before I try anything stupid. :)
Like painting clean cat litter? :-)
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

LOL Yes! It was a good idea though. :lol:
oaflord ( 196 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by oaflord »

CMSheats wrote:Wow that's a great idea! I live a mile down a dirt road so that should work great. Thanks Oaf.
No problem...

Here is an example (just did it today for a painting bet... stay tuned) of how my driveway looks on models before priming (and gap filling, but I digress).

Hope that gives you an idea... Admittedly, I do have to double dip as the first dip in the sand/gravel turns to mud, then while still wet I dip again...

oAF
References owed to me: fhoenix, razley, MEversbergII
References owed by me: None.
MagickalMemories wrote:I think it was best said by Oaflord, with his 14 rating. Smart fella, there.
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaflord... You're a Dork! (Put THAT in your sig line!)
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaf... Yer still a flippin' idiot. Some things just don't change. :wink:
Magickalmemories wrote:That oaflord! He's one heck of a great guy!
MagickalMemories wrote:Oh, God, oAF! You did it. You drank it. Now, you're dooooooomed.
MagickalMemories wrote:No... it makes you a HERO! (in reference to me)
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Ok that helps alot man. Thanks.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

oaflord wrote:
CMSheats wrote:Wow that's a great idea! I live a mile down a dirt road so that should work great. Thanks Oaf.
No problem...

Here is an example (just did it today for a painting bet... stay tuned) of how my driveway looks on models before priming (and gap filling, but I digress).

Hope that gives you an idea... Admittedly, I do have to double dip as the first dip in the sand/gravel turns to mud, then while still wet I dip again...

oAF

OK. I'm calling foul here.

You're not allowed to double dip, per Sienfeld.

Oh wait, that was dealing with chips & dip. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Haha, yup. Thats with chips. :lol:
starship trooper ( 20 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by starship trooper »

My two things are blue foam board and kitty litter.... The board seen here > Image can be used to make gaming boards, walls, buildings, and when ripped and broken apart it makes good boulders and rocks for your bases to put a great touch on your key minis in your army. When painted it looks great and it does not make the mini heavy or lop sided. Kitty litter also works well for flocking or giving your table top texture.
~ We receive all we venture to give...
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

kitty litter is poor to use on bases..It's absorbs loads of paint.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I can't bring myself to use kitty litter because... Ewww! Kitty litter! lol
I'd think that you could solve the absorbtion issue with a nice coat of matte or gloss sealer. Yes?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
starship trooper ( 20 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by starship trooper »

kturock wrote:kitty litter is poor to use on bases..It's absorbs loads of paint.
As an owner of 2 cats I assure you that there are plenty of kitty litters out there that are not that absorbent! lol

But really. Throw down some elmers or super glue... sprinkle some kitty litter and then prime with your model and your all set. Works for me all the time. I still use some larg stones or wood chips here and there. Some times a head under the foot what ever gets the job done!
~ We receive all we venture to give...

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”