the_trader AKA Joe Bartle - Involved Parties Discussion

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Taking action on the-trader - Involved Parties Discussion

Post by insidius »

So then why make it any worse? Warning people of his actions is one thing, going out of your way to make someone miserable is something entirely different.

I would like to see the people involved get some sort of restitution, but at what cost?

I'm just saying.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
redstarone ( 48 )
Account Terminated

Post by redstarone »

It should be noted that he ripped off such a high amount of cash that if he were here in the US and admitted doing it right off the bat, he would still go to prison for 2-4 years easy. Federal prison. No early release, no parole, you serve the full time.

That is the sole reason I deal within the us and dont worry. If I am ripped off, I have legal actions I can take. Ones that i KNOW will result in justice. Unlike the Hull police and a slap on the wrist because of dyslexia. I mean dang, that means he cant read properly. Which, he can obviously read just fine, enough to commit the crimes in the first place.

I personally think,l he screwed himself over. Anything anyone can do internet wise, should be done. I DO NOT think anyone should go to the guys house or anything. Thats taking it to a whole level it doesnt need to be at.
sleazy ( 22 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by sleazy »

Am sorry to say that under UK law an official police caution doesnt show up on any employer searches or the like (it may in certain situations like the ministry of defence but not in usual circumstances).

Assuming he isnt arrested for theft again in the next few years it will make no difference.

Also it MUST be within the polices duresdiction or they couldnt give him a caution in the first place.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

insidius wrote:So then why make it any worse? Warning people of his actions is one thing, going out of your way to make someone miserable is something entirely different.

I would like to see the people involved get some sort of restitution, but at what cost?

I'm just saying.
Should this type of thinking be applied to Jason Ticknor then?
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Ironhide wrote:
insidius wrote:So then why make it any worse? Warning people of his actions is one thing, going out of your way to make someone miserable is something entirely different.

I'm just saying.
Should this type of thinking be applied to Jason Ticknor then?

Yes, of course.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

I don't see this as making it worse. I see this as a moral duty to inform people of this individuals character and practices. It's not like we are making up lies about the guy, just informing people what he admitted to doing to the police. Going to gaming/trade sites that this person frequents and informing those people of what he has done will hopefully keep him from doing this again, and keep him from possibly influencing others from trying the same scam.

The guy said as much that even if the police arrested him, nothing would happen. He was proved right. So I seriously doubt he was remorseful about it even though he admitted it. No justice was served. He's probably reading this right now and laughing his arse off, because he got away with it. IMO he is scum, and should be branded as such by his abuse of the law, the internet, and members of this website.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Yes, I agree, people should be informed, and I think they have been. We will continue to watch for his activities (if any) here.

However, anything beyond warning and watching, in my opinion, would probably be going too far. People shouldn't be going out of their way to make things miserable for anyone, in my opinion. His actions speak for him, he's admitted guilt, ok. What else is there?

It's easy to demonize people and their actions and I'm just advising against it is all.

Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Just want to make it clear that I am not advocating physical violence or action that would constitute stalking. Guess I should have made it clearer. If you see him on other trade sites or hear of a similar character who fits his MO, then it should be reported to that websites admin/mods, or failing that maybe directing them to this thread.

TrooperPX ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TrooperPX »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia
"Dyslexia is a learning disability that manifests primarily as a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading. It is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction.

Evidence suggests that dyslexia results from differences in how the brain processes written and spoken language. Although dyslexia is thought to be the result of a neurological difference, it is not an intellectual disability. Dyslexia is diagnosed in people of all levels of intelligence."

I transpose letters when I type... a form of dyslexia. It does not impair my ability to discern right form wrong. His actions were calculated and premeditated. He knew exactly what he was doing. He had an exit plan. There's a special place in Hell for people like him... his Soul has been marked, he will be judged.

He ruined my 40th birthday… forever. My present to myself was helping the local Hull economy in these harsh financial times. Happy birthday to me.
Let me turn your original sculpt into an army!
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=87597
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Ok, that's enough of that.

Brian Thacker ( 92 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Brian Thacker »

My question is this... How will we be able to track him here? What will stop him from using another user name? I know that you can track a computer through a ID status...

Brian
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

You want I should give away all the little secrets? :P

Brian Thacker ( 92 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Brian Thacker »

Naw, as long as someone is watching I am ok with it...

Brian
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Is anybody affected local?

If so, you can file a class action civil suit against him. The other parties can then act via the UK person.

Or maybe file small claims in the US, and then have the SOB served papers. Better yet, have the judgments served - at that point, it's not a question of taking him to court and prosecuting - it's a question of enforcing a court order.
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
silent_lemon ( 8 )
New Trader

Post by silent_lemon »

Ironhide wrote: ... and all his victims are non-UK citizens, which equals out to nothing. 0+0=0.....
i have both canadian and british citizenship...just to play devils advocate. too bad i live in canada eh.

i received a letter again, dated feb 15th, with a crime number and signature. regarding hte very last sentence of the letter,"the crime report will be shown as detected against the accused for the offence of fraud"

does that mean he will attain some sort of perminent criminal stamp on his record?

police caution. im actually speechless.

i have relatives in london, but it's fairly far away from hull to ask any favors - and im not exactly best buddies with my british relatives.

i wonder who those people affected by email scams and other international fraud go to to get restitution...

im glad the police completed their duties, im glad we banded together to fight as one, but this isnt justice, not even close. in fact, it makes me sick to think he's feeling invincible, which he's stated before. this is SUCH a travesty, it's sad.

ninjaedit: HOW can an ADULT get away with this? 19 - he's an adult. ive no clue what his dyslexia has to do with any of this, really ANY of his disabilities, irrelevant underneath the law...unless he was somehow "unstable."

Return to “The Hall of Shame”