New Miniature Bases

Only Itar's Workshop Staff may start new topics in this forum. All users may respond to existing topics.
itar ( 2 )
New Trader

New Miniature Bases

Post by itar »

After a slow 2011 (OK, very slow), we have finally released some new items.

The main part of this release is a line of round miniature bases. Available sizes in the first release are 25mm, 40mm, 60mm round and 25mm x 50mm bases with rounded corners. All sizes are available in both normal resin to represent rock, or a clear resin ice.

We will be releasing the popular sizes of rectangular fantasy bases in our next release sometime in March. If demand is high enough, we will do some of the less common base sizes later on and some more styles.

Goto the bases

Here's an example of the 25mm ice bases. These are cast in an optically clear resin. The texture of the surface prevents them from being totally see through right after casting but a quick wash with a clear gloss and they get really clear.
and a closeup of some of the bases

And the same bases case in normal resin for regular rock. The bases are sold unpainted but here's a pic painted to show off the texture. These are cast in the same molds as the ice bases but with normal resin so they're a lot cheaper than the clear ones.

Also in this release (click on pic to go to the item in our store):
Egyptian Gateway
Column Ruin
Ruined Entrance
Gabions (pic shows them unpainted)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: New Miniature Bases

Post by MagickalMemories »

I like the clear ice bases. Very nice.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

If you use Super Glue to attach miniatures.. will it fog the bases?

What about drilling in to pin? will that be damaging visually?

I like em.. but am concerned..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
itar ( 2 )
New Trader

Post by itar »

Hi porkuslime
Your concerns are noted and I think the best way to address them is with the old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words".

note: I didn't not include an actual miniature because of the possibility that some miniature manufacturers may not be happy with me using their pieces in 'advertising' images. I did use standins for miniatures that should convey the meaning.

Also while we take reasonable efforts to eliminate air bubbles in the clear resin there is some bubbles that get trapped. Real ice gets air trapped inside it as well so we feel that they add character to the piece. Clear resin has some great properties low cost isn't one of them (as you can probably tell from the retail prices). In fact the resin we use is about 3x the cost of normal resin.

I'll start with superglue. I glued a bit of old toy (no clue what it's from) using generic super glue. I used a LOT of superglue to show what happened easier.
An extreme closeup so you can see the glue. It looks wet still but is dry to the touch.

A shot of one with a spot drilled for a pin. I always use a paperclip to pin my stuff so that's what I used here.
Here's a shot of the bottom of the piece. You can barely see the drilled spot in the center.
Here's a shot of one that's been hit with a very thin blue wash with some future mixed in to make it shiny.

Here's a couple of shots of the bases both the raw (out of the package) and washed base with a nice contrast color underneath to show how clear they really are.
http://www.itarsworkshop.com/images/Bas ... CF4263.JPG
http://www.itarsworkshop.com/images/Bas ... CF4262.JPG

Not to get too technical about it (and someone please correct me if I'm off on this) the reason they're more clear after a gloss wash is because the surface texture causes a diffusion of the light as it passes through. When it's got a gloss wash the gloss fills in some of the texture and helps light travel through it. For my wash I mixed 50% water with 50% future and added a tiny drop of light blue paint.

Here is a base washed in blue with some snow effects (plaster dusted lightly on the base and sealed)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Wow. Excellent.
I think you covered every base there and then some.

I actually like that the glue still looks wet. If a little pokes out from under someone's feet, it'll just look like the ice is melting a bit.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

That really does look good.

I gotta think of an army I need based, now.. erg!
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I've got a fully (nicely) painted plastic and metal 48 (49?) RT model Space Wolf army you could buy.
They'd look great on ice bases.

...Just saying. lol

Eric

Return to “Itar's Workshop - Terrain to bring your games alive!”