the_trader AKA Joe Bartle - Involved Parties Discussion

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

robh ( 96 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Taking action on the-trader - Involved Parties Discussion

Post by robh »

I'm with Irdion on this one, this thread was informative and well done, right up to the last LEGION post. An ex pat Brit living in Spain (and an ex police officer) I find him lumping me in with the sort of scum I used to pursue and prosecute to be very offensive. From someone with his low feedback score (1 actual trade and 5 purchases) the comment is purile and pathetic.

Bartertown has no way of stopping an individual doing this, it is the risk you take being here, unless a cost effective way is found to escrow trades.
It would help (but still not foolproof) if Real Name and Real postal address were compulsory in completing a Bartertown application as they could be validated, and if a persons posting history was accessible for longer than 2 weeks so potential traders can see if a trader is offering the same items over and over again. The real name/real address could be done retrospectively now....."want your membership to continue? provide these security details"

RobH
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

LEGION, Irdion, and robh... this topic is for INVOLVED people in the_trader situation. Are you 3 actively involved and have spoken to Norseman about your experiences with him? If not.. I will be deleting your posts to keep this thread ON topic. You have until Sunday night, 8pm eastern, to tell me if you have a valid reason to be posting in this thread.

Feel free to start another thread on this topic in this section of the forums, but keep your opinions and personal trade rules out of THIS topic.

-Porkuslime
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Dammit, Pork.

You ruined all my fun. I was TOTALLY not going to be NEAR as nice as you were.

:evil: :( :'( :( :evil:

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Irdion wrote:I was in total agreement with the heart of this thread until this last bit here.

As a U.S. expat in the Netherlands, I find that kind of broad-brush mentality both small-minded and totally unreasonable. Marking all overseas traders as taboo is no mature way to deal with this. The police took no action because there was no way a criminal proceeding could have been carried out without victims present in the courtroom. It was economically irresponsible to convene the UK court for such a relatively small sum of money, especially if the aggreived lives across the ocean and cannot be reasonably expected to attend the trial.
I think perhaps, you misunderstood my sentiment (I can only speak for myself here). I am not refusing overseas trades because of the_trader, I am refusing overseas trades because it is hard enough to get reconciliation in your own state, let alone from another country, should something happen. Not only are there frequent issues with customs and mail carrying, delivery time and price, but also a difference in law, and the extra investment required (phone calls, et cetera) if something does go wrong.

It just isn't worth it.
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

This thread seems to have run its' course. I'm going to lock it and put it into the "Hall of Shame."

Norseman, if you have anything you need to update it with in the future, PM me or any other staff member. We'll be happy to unlock it for you to make your post.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: the_trader AKA Joe Bartle - Involved Parties Discussion

Post by Norseman »

Slight update:

We have another user that was victimized by the_trader that occured at roughly the same time.

CPT Ginn

Paypal actually got $70 of his $130 back for him.

I want to address some of the posts that I have seen as of late describing that NOTHING happened to J Bartle.

He did get arrested and now has a criminal record. He did no jail time or suffer any fines.

We also contacted most of the gaming clubs & stores in his home town and informed them of what exactly happened. He is now a know thief and pariah in his home town amongst gamers.

The guy is a slightly mentally <not smart> loser, that got a little more sympathy than he deserved from the UK Police.

A criminal record and all the gamers in your hometown thinking you are a thief is not exactly nothing.

Another thing... This really isn't over yet. I have a few more cards to play before this is over.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Oh this is Hilarious!!!

Recently did a search on the big dufus...Look what i came up with!! LOL

Joseph Bartle

Class of 2005

Thoresby High School For Girls

Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Man everything about this guy seems to be completely weird.
Morlock-Bloodletter ( 34 )
Site Admin

Post by Morlock-Bloodletter »

ooook, so is it a gender confusion on his part or the school's? :) oh maybe it was Bossom Buddies type deal! I think I just dated myself...
RULES OF POSTING ON BARTERTOWN ARE FOUND HERE

viewforum.php?f=44
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Another victim has come out of the woodwork.

pcgamer72
Loss of $50.00 US
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Has he done a BTR?
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Also, WHEN was he scammed? Was this in the same span of time as the earlier ones, or is it more recent?

Eric

Return to “The Hall of Shame”