John Sigsby BANNED: Violation of Multiple Accounts

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

John Sigsby BANNED: Violation of Multiple Accounts

Post by Linrandir »

:rulez:

One Day, our friendly neighborhood Admin gets an email from a user named John Sigsby. Mr. Sigsby's email address is wargamepainting@gmail.com. He has a question about Rule #14, which our friendly neighborhood Admin answers.

Because he's like that, our Admin browses the ads and finds something rather UNUSUAL. There's an ad here:
viewtopic.php?p=125256&highlight=#125256
with a very similar email address. OK...weird username, but whatever.

Then, our Admin finds THIS:
http://bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?t=67308
Same email address Identical trade list. Different username. :evil:
But wait...there's another email address listed in the profile! itsforthegreatergood@yahoo.com!

Hey, there's also an ad posted for wargamepainting with the SAME list of stuff!

And an IP address check reveals that the following users have all posted from the same IP:
forthegreatergood (itsforthegreatergood@yahoo.com)
darksideofthelightside (wargamepainting@mail.com)
wargamepainting (wargamepainting@gmail.com)
caveman900000 (email address sigsbythor@aol.com)

Lo and behold...also violating rule #14! His email to me was dated 09 June 2008. Y'all can see these multiple accounts were created WELL afterwards.

I don't care what you have to say, Mr. Sigsby. Get-and-Stay off my website.

A quick rant:
People, if you're considering multiple accounts for whatever reason...don't f**King do it. Either one of the staff will find you, or one of the ever-growing number of people who support this website will alert us. We will find you. We will ban you. And if you come back, we'll just do it again. And again. And again. As many times as it takes for you to learn your lesson and leave.
/rant over.

[Admin edit 2/17/2012 - found new John Sigsby acct]
jsigs - vash.knives.trigun@gmail.com - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=18705
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

Woo hoo!! The Hammer of Justice has spoken!!

And I can say that I know I do my part as well, because thankfully even though I work a lot, I have a lot of down time that I use to check this site several times a day. I know MagicMemories, myself and Jagavahn have been especially vigilant as of late, as has the Pants.

It does seem as if for whatever reason we are all starting to mesh better as a watchman/admin group and this site is running better than ever!

Keep up the excellent work everybody!

Erik
fitterpete ( 202 )
Journeyman Trader

Banned

Post by fitterpete »

Hey
Shouldnt this be posted in the Hall of Shame? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I swear Im just kidding!
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Hey Lin, just thought you should know. We have a user on the Warhammer40k side that has multiple accounts from one IP, but he also has multiple users on his computer (i.e. his brother, 2 friends, etc.). He lives in the sticks, so his friends use his internet access. Just wanted to let you know before the powers that be start a purge or something.

To my knowledge he doesn't use the B-Town side.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Ironhide wrote:Hey Lin, just thought you should know. We have a user on the Warhammer40k side that has multiple accounts from one IP, but he also has multiple users on his computer (i.e. his brother, 2 friends, etc.). He lives in the sticks, so his friends use his internet access. Just wanted to let you know before the powers that be start a purge or something.

To my knowledge he doesn't use the B-Town side.
Stuff like this needs to be checked out. Anybody can make a duplicate account & say its their brother.
I can beleive it UNTIL they post the SAME stuff for sale/trade here. Its all to beat the 7day post rule.

I have a son who is turning 9. He likes the figs & I gave him a few of my old ones. Gee, cant I get him an account? It gets silly.
IraShaine1972 ( 416 )
Expert Trader

Post by IraShaine1972 »

My son and I both access the same forums from one IP as well not to mention there are multiple computers in my house using the same IP.

We have a wireless router and up to 12 machines can all access of the same IP.

There are 5 people in my house and everyone is a gamer and while I am the only one currently using B-Town my oldest will probably want to join at some point. In the wireless laptop world it wouldnt be a stretch for multiple people to use the same IP and have their own accounts especially in the technophile/gamer rampant houshold that is mine. Like I said we already do it just not on B-town at the moment. But it is a high possibility and I never would have given it a single thought had it not been for this thread.

So will b-town impose a one account per IP rule then at some point because sadly the versatility of the wireless internet technology that is becoming so commonly used now would make for one big mess should a general purge occur.

Like I said we here in my place have been doing it regularly and never given it a thought. Its just getting to be the way things are these days.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Stuff like this needs to be checked out. Anybody can make a duplicate account & say its their brother.
It has been checked out. Because I and several other mods thought the same thing.

The multiple account rule does need to be rethought since it will get more difficult to spot people with multiple accounts. With non-static IPs, proxy servers, and offsite hosting it seems to me that there could be people on here right now with multiple accounts and you wouldn't even know.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

So will b-town impose a one account per IP rule then at some point because sadly the versatility of the wireless internet technology that is becoming so commonly used now would make for one big mess should a general purge occur.
To be honest, I trade for my wife and kids here on Bartertown. But, the BUCK stops at me (so to speak). If my wife wants to pull the trigger on a trade, then I make sure it gets done right. Same thing with my children.
Why do you need multiple accounts if they are all in your immediate family?

I really can't see a way around the one account per IP rule. I guess you could have something like slave accounts. The MAIN account would be responsible for the other accounts. But, I don't see that happening.

If you want to trade for your family members, then just use your own account and make sure you are responsible for it.

As for letting your roommate or the guy down the street to use your IP to access (and potentially take advantage of) Bartertown. That is just silly, wrongheaded, and should be a bannable offence.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Dont everybody get offended. I didnt mean YOU. But there will be people who LIE & take advantage of this.
If there are multiple accounts, then the SAME STUFF should not be posted on each account. Understand what Im getting at??
Multiple accounts are fine, but posting the same stuff across all of them should not be.
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Assuming that my son decides he wants to start up on Btown (we've got quite a few years for that), I can't see why I'd want to start him with a new account.

From a practical standpoint, you dilute your references and Feedback. On Btown, having 4 accounts with a 20-30 rating is far less valuable than having a single 100+ account. That single 100+ account will have earned the right to usually ship last, whereas, those 20-30 accounts will usually ship first.
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

From a practical standpoint, you dilute your references and Feedback. On Btown, having 4 accounts with a 20-30 rating is far less valuable than having a single 100+ account. That single 100+ account will have earned the right to usually ship last, whereas, those 20-30 accounts will usually ship first.
That right there sounds like an abuse of the system. 4 users using the same account is just as bad as someone having multiple accounts. I would see something like that as an unfair practice and wouldn't trade with someone who did it, based solely on principle.

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

:rulez:

This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. Sigsby! Dude, you can offer to willpaint4food as much as you'd like...but you're still banned from the site. Again.

Regarding the other concerns raised:
Here's Rule #2 again:
Rule#2: Multiple User Accounts: One User Account Per Person, One Person Per User Account ONLY. EVER!
Having multiple accounts does not make one look like a trustworthy person. In fact, everyone I've suspended or banned for multiple accounts in the past has said the same thing: "I do that to generate more interest in my own stuff and jack my prices!"
That's not acceptable. So, since this rule didn't make the transition I am reinstating it. Retroactively and with extreme prejudice. Also, do not think you can vanish for a while after getting a bad rep and then come back with a new username. We will find out eventually.
Furthermore, you may not share your Bartertown user account with anyone else. The only exception to this may occur with administrative permission only, and that's when a minor has an account and their parent or legal guardian is 'looking over their shoulder.' If you're a minor and your parent wants to see what you're doing here or post as you, have them contact me. I will require some manner of proof that they are who they say they are.
No mention of IP addresses. Though I might live out in the middle of Nowhere, I do stay aware of Teh InterWebs and emergent technologies. You wanna run hot with wireless routers on FIOS with DHCP and proxies? Cool, go for it and have fun. The only thing I care about is whether or not 1 person has multiple accounts, or one account has multiple people.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

Another Idiot Monkey, Henceforth Banned from Bartertown for multiple accounts!
An Anonymous User wrote: Faustian
http://bartertown.com/ref/index.php?user_id=10578
Heres Faustians refs,note the email address is the same as imperialBuyers

HumanusImperialis
viewtopic.php?t=47807
Here he gives himself away,by posting on the same threads under two different names

ImperialBuyer
viewtopic.php?t=66938
And this is his new account

His name is B.Mitchell and you can find that in both the Faustian and Humanusimperials feedback.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

IraShaine1972 ( 416 )
Expert Trader

Post by IraShaine1972 »

So if my oldest son who is a Warhammer junkie AND a rampant forum poster wants to become active on here and starts his own account while he is still at home and using my IP then could I caount on at least being asked the reason WHY there are 2 accounts from the same IP before I get axed?

Because he pretty much does his own thing online as he isnt really a kid at all anymore and he likes to post to forums. In fact in the wargaming related forums we already are active on he and myself both have our own accounts as we are pretty much two seperate people but both in the hobby. And like I said before I could see him getting into using b-town at some point. It would be a bummer if someone that has something to contribute to the site is unable to use it because they live under the same roof as someone else with an account. Not trying to argue mind you I would just like to know. Primarily because had he already been active it seems I could have faced the chopping block as well over a simple mistake. And I never would have thought that it would have apeared to be one user with multiple accounts.
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

Do you oversee his trades here? Maybe I wasn't clear about my point. I am the ONLY person who trades here. Sometimes I will trade for stuff for my wife or son, but I do the trading.

I would guess that is how you are going to have to do it until your son can get off on his own or get his own connection.

As for letting friends or roommates or neighbors access to your accounts on Bartertown, I think you are asking for big trouble. But, that's just me.

BTW, I am glad to see a little closure over one BTR. The HumanusImperialis thread has had me scratching my head for a while. Good to see that that case is closed... Of a sort.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

Return to “The Hall of Shame”