John Sigsby BANNED: Violation of Multiple Accounts

A Special Place for people who have been Banned from Bartertown for egregious violations of the rules.
Permission is required to post here.

Moderator: Moderators

IraShaine1972 ( 416 )
Expert Trader

Post by IraShaine1972 »

Adunaphel wrote:Do you oversee his trades here? Maybe I wasn't clear about my point. I am the ONLY person who trades here. Sometimes I will trade for stuff for my wife or son, but I do the trading.

I would guess that is how you are going to have to do it until your son can get off on his own or get his own connection.

As for letting friends or roommates or neighbors access to your accounts on Bartertown, I think you are asking for big trouble. But, that's just me.

BTW, I am glad to see a little closure over one BTR. The HumanusImperialis thread has had me scratching my head for a while. Good to see that that case is closed... Of a sort.

Karl
No he isnt even on here so its really not an issue and what stuff he has moved online has pretty much only been through e-bay. Most likely any trades he may want to do I would have handled them for him anyway but only because I have the experience that he does not. So at the moment its not even an issue. The only thing I was curious about was not someone else using my account but rather someone in my house setting up their own individual account. Because then all of the accounts would fall under the same IP simply because we all use the same connection simply because we can sonnect 12 computers to one connection. And when I talk about my son I am not refering to a young child he has his own full time job and so on.

The main thing that made this thread jump out at me is multiple accounts falling under one IP and thus looking suspicious is something I never would have considered and could have lead to me being banned from b-town. And like I said also we already do it on plenty of other phpbb based forums just because he is as much of an enthusiast as I am and pretty much his own person now. Yes I am that old.

Maybe I am just making much ado about nothing. :)
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

I LOVE that Ban Hammer pic!!!

THANK YOU to the "anonymus User". :lol:
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Linrandir wrote:
No mention of IP addresses. Though I might live out in the middle of Nowhere, I do stay aware of Teh InterWebs and emergent technologies. You wanna run hot with wireless routers on FIOS with DHCP and proxies? Cool, go for it and have fun. The only thing I care about is whether or not 1 person has multiple accounts, or one account has multiple people.
@Ira: So that would tell me that you can have multiple accounts under one IP. Just make sure it's not one person with all of those accounts. You don't have to do what Adunaphel does, he's just following the safe route.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
IraShaine1972 ( 416 )
Expert Trader

Post by IraShaine1972 »

I am just curious as to how the admins could tell the difference. To them wouldnt it look "fishy"?

Of course I am just a straight up trader and poster and having more than one account wouldnt even cross my mind. More interested in this topic than anything else.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Most likely, they would ask them and keep them under observation to see if they are up to no good. If nothing fishy or untowards is going on then the mods would most likely leave them alone.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

I think you would need to talk directly to Gilliganrandir (Lin). Just to show how little I know about the internet, how do you get a different IP? Obviously, setting up your son's own email is simple enough, but how do you do his own IP. Do you expressly have to purchase a different Internet Povider plan for him? Or is there another way?

I don't know if I have taken the safe way. My wife leaves all of this to me. She will look over my shoulder on trades that involve things for her, but I get final say (like in everything else :lol: ). My son is not old enough, and even older I would probably still take care of it. But, I could see a time where I very well could be in the same position as IraShaine...

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Just to show how little I know about the internet, how do you get a different IP? Obviously, setting up your son's own email is simple enough, but how do you do his own IP. Do you expressly have to purchase a different Internet Povider plan for him? Or is there another way?
@ Adunaphel: Most Internet providers assign one IP address per household unless you specifically ask for more than one, but then you have to pay an additional fee. There are ways to disguise your IP address though. You can mask it, use a proxy server, use an IP that doesn't give away your IP address, and there are also several security programs out there that hide it also.

IraShaine1972 ( 416 )
Expert Trader

Post by IraShaine1972 »

Ironhide wrote:
Just to show how little I know about the internet, how do you get a different IP? Obviously, setting up your son's own email is simple enough, but how do you do his own IP. Do you expressly have to purchase a different Internet Povider plan for him? Or is there another way?
@ Adunaphel: Most Internet providers assign one IP address per household unless you specifically ask for more than one, but then you have to pay an additional fee. There are ways to disguise your IP address though. You can mask it, use a proxy server, use an IP that doesn't give away your IP address, and there are also several security programs out there that hide it also.
Pretty much we are hardcore techno geeks. Been online since there was an online. We always use the latest technology. So for me right now owning multiple computers and having a home wireless router (that can serve multiple systems under one IP) is pretty much the thing to do. In fact I mock those that still use less (in my own little way :-D :-D ) thats just us. But ya gotta realize I was raised by computer geeks and we are all that over 20+ years worth of computing here.....anyways yeah in order to have different IPs we would have to get an entirely separate connection. That pretty much defeats the purpose of having the wireless router in more ways than I can even bother to discuss. But more and more people and housholds will start to use this more and more. What if you have a several wargamers that all have laptops that all get together to do their thing at one location such as an internet cafe or someone buys a connection at one place or sets up a club or something. Everybody piches in to pay the bill and everybody can use it.
Thats the phase we are in now with the wireless revolution. The days of dial up and even the single connection home are over. Everything is wireless and that means that you IP will mean squat at some point. All you need is an access from wherever you happen to be. If I had a way to hack access codes I could just drive around the neighborhood all night and never pay a thing for internet access. In a major metro area there are wireless signals everywhere.
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

Ironhide wrote:
From a practical standpoint, you dilute your references and Feedback. On Btown, having 4 accounts with a 20-30 rating is far less valuable than having a single 100+ account. That single 100+ account will have earned the right to usually ship last, whereas, those 20-30 accounts will usually ship first.
That right there sounds like an abuse of the system. 4 users using the same account is just as bad as someone having multiple accounts. I would see something like that as an unfair practice and wouldn't trade with someone who did it, based solely on principle.
If, in a 5-odd years, you want to trade with a 6-year-old, I guess I could set him up as a separate user with his own e-mail and everything. I mean, I'd help him set up the posting and stuff, but he'd be responsible for the actual trades, right?

Or you could trade with the father on his behalf, who'd likely have a 200+ rating.

Quite frankly, if I'm the one who's ultimately responsible for the fulfillment of the trade, then it'll be under my ID and I'll get the Feedback.

OTOH, if Btown really wants to insist on one person = one account, then people shouldn't complain so much when trades with amateurs go sour.

Personally, I think it'd probably be a good idea if the most responsible person in a particular gaming group acted as the Btown broker for that group. You'd weed out a lot of randomness in the process in favor of more trades among people who actually know how the system should work, and have vested interests in ensuring successful trades.
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

I see your point with very young children, but I don't think that extends to a gaming group. Being a "trade broker" for a gaming group would be a violation of Rule#2, I think.

Actually, both would be a violation if you took the RAW aproach.

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

The IP address is just one way to tell if someone is violating the multiple account rule. Yes, there are others. No, I'm not going to go into specifics. However, the simple presence of multiple usernames on one IP address is not the sole determining factor in banning someone.

The one user/one account, one account/one user policy isn't changing. And for goodness sake, before we get into the RAW dissection, I point out rule #0 as the first and overriding rule. It's just easier to ask me than take a gamble. :-)

Even if you have to wait a little for the answer!
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
MEDEVL ( 362 )
Expert Trader

Post by MEDEVL »

Lin, you might want to nuke/edit his posts in the painter's for hire section in light of this.
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise.
MEDEVL ( 362 )
Expert Trader

Post by MEDEVL »

It looks as if he has already started a new account and advertised again in the painters for hire forum...

viewtopic.php?t=67494
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

You know... His incessant posting, after being told not to, is starting to make me feel harassed.
Missouri is about to pass an internet harassment law, too...

;)

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

Wow, check out the Youtube videos. Painting skillz = EPIC FAIL.
Trading Guidelines:
1. Lower rating ships first - even if I am purchasing.
2. If you agree to buy something, you have 72hrs. in which to pay. If payment is not received in 72hrs., I will automatically post a Non-Payment/Backout thread.
3. Refs are left upon positive receipt of goods, NEVER beforehand!
4. I accept Paypal & USPS money orders and charge for shipping AT COST. I make no profit from it.
5. I trade NIB/new models at retail.

Return to “The Hall of Shame”