Bartertown Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING!!!!

Read Them. Learn Them. And for goodness sake, FOLLOW THEM.

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Bartertown Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING!!!!

Post by Linrandir »

[Edited 2/20/2019 - MM]
[Edited 12/15/2021 - 3e]
[Edited 2/9/2022 - MM]
-----------------------------
Please note that this is a "living" document and will be occasionally updated. I will present the rules in a very concise fashion, and the explanations can follow later as needed. Please note that these rules apply to all Bartertown forums unless specifically stated otherwise. These rules are the most recent, updated version, and there is no 'grandfather clause.'

The first rule, the proverbial ...Rule #0: The buck stops with me. If you have a Question/Problem, ASK FIRST.
Just click on one of those little buttons on the post: email, AIM, or private message. I generally get back to people within three to five days. Please be patient with me, as I have other professional and personal commitments that take priority over Bartertown. If I am not available or you need an immediate response, try contacting one of the following people: 3eland, MagickalMemories, Morlock-Bloodletter, Plarz, or Porkuslime.

Bartertown Staff (names in green or red) are people who have volunteered their time to help police the forums and generally keep things rolling. They are empowered by me to add, modify, or delete posts as appropriate. If you have a problem with them or their actions, talk to one of the Administrators (red names) about it. However, if you can't provide a reasoned and logical complaint (as defined in the Appeals Section below), you will be ignored.

This also means that I am the final arbitrator in all disputes. Believe me, I'd rather leave this unsaid but there are people who need everything spelled out. When it comes to these forums, my interpretation stands. Don't think you're being clever if you play rules-lawyer with any of us - the spirit as well as the letter of the law holds sway here. Of course, no one is always right and I'm always open to a well-reasoned appeal of a decision (see below for more on that).
------------------------

Rule #1: PLAY FAIR.
We all learned this rule in Kindergarten. Don't cheat, tell the whole truth, help out "around the house," be nice to others, be responsible for what you do, follow the rules, and treat others how you'd like to be treated yourself. Everything else from here on down is either administrivia or specific examples of how to PLAY FAIR. The adult version of this rule sounds like this: Don't Be A D*ck.

Rule #1a: ASK PERMISSION. DO NOT SEEK FORGIVENESS.
If you're not sure, ask FIRST. If you're not sure, ask FIRST. If you're not sure, ask FIRST.
Do not go ahead and do something, then beg forgiveness later. This is one of the few cases I will over-rule a more merciful staff member who might get to you first. There is no forgiveness to be had, there is only permission to be asked beforehand.

Rule #2: These boards are to be used for BUY/SELL/TRADE PURPOSES ONLY (this includes the Bad Trader Forums).
If you have a gripe with another poster, take it to Private Messages or use the appropriate complaint forum - Deadbeat/Backout OR Bad Trader Reporting. If the situation is particularly egregious, notify one of the BT Staff members.

Please do not start topics regarding politics, religion, race, or other sensitive issues unless they directly affect the Bartertown community AND relate to gaming. For example, Net Neutrality is an issue that is Very Important to us. Islamic extremism on the internet? Not so much. Religious people who have a hate-on for Dungeons & Dragons starting a petition to have it banned? That's relevant. Make sense? Should you start flaming or cluttering up the boards with your irrelevant posts, your post will be nuked and you will be warned. Disregard the warning and you will be suspended. Do it again and you will be banned.

Rule#3: Multiple User Accounts: One User Account Per Person, One Person Per User Account ONLY. EVER!
Having multiple accounts will result in an instant ban on all of your accounts.
Having multiple accounts does not make one look like a trustworthy person. That is why it is forbidden. It makes you look like you're violating rule #1.

Furthermore, you may not share your Bartertown user account with anyone else. The only exception to this may occur with specific written administrative permission, and that's when a minor has an account and their parent or legal guardian is 'looking over their shoulder.' If you're a minor and your parent wants to see what you're doing here or post as you, have them contact me. I will require some manner of proof that they are who they say they are.

If you've forgotten your password, DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT. Email our admin email address for a reset. Be prepared to prove that you are who you claim to be.

Rule #4: Ad format: Use a proper DESCRIPTIVE Title & Content
If you want to post your ad in multiple relevant forums, which is good, then please title your ad appropriately. Good example: "Have Eldar and Tau, want to trade for Dark Elves and Empire." This will fit NICELY in the 40K and Fantasy sections!

Bad example: "Have Eldar and Tau." If this shows up in the fantasy section, it will be nuked!
Other BAD examples: "Have stuff.", "H: Lots! W: Lots!", "Tomb Kings"

Rule 4a: You are also responsible for accurately describing all items that you are trading or selling.
That includes version, condition, assembly status, converted or not, painted or not, any missing pieces and any other information you think might be helpful. Failure to do so may result in the other party filing a Backout Trader or Bad Trader report against you.
Note that linking to Trade/Want/Sale lists that are hosted off-site is not allowed. All items you are offering must be listed in your trade ad. Failure to do so will see your ad removed.

Rule #5: Do not hijack other people's threads.
If you want to talk trade with someone who has posted a response to a third party's thread, take it to email, Private Message (PM) or start your own thread.

Do not attack people's ads if you feel they don't conform to Bartertown rules (Please also note rule #1). Notify a moderator, follow rule #0, and then let it go. We will make the appropriate decision(s).

Additionally, do not attack people's ads EVER. That means no commenting on prices, conditions, quantities, the trader themselves, past history, or anything else that is not directly and relevantly linked to the current trade ad and or transaction(s). “Helpful hints, tricks or advice” should not be posted in a trade ad. This should be done via PM.

If you feel your thread has been hijacked or comments are going WAY off topic, please contact Bartertown Staff via PM and we will investigate. On the other hand, if you want to take your OWN thread off topic, feel free, but no calling foul if someone else then takes your off-topic even further off topic, or it ends up locked.

Rule #6: Please make sure to read the Good & Bad Trader Forum.
viewforum.php?f=48
It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the person you're dealing with is legitimate. Threatening us with legal action won't get you anywhere.
When posting to the Bad Trader or Deadbeats & Backouts forums, please read and follow the rules posted at the top of each forum.

Rule #7: Be Polite (So important, we said it twice!)
Abusive or inappropriate language towards any other Bartertown user is not acceptable - doubly so when directed at a Staff member who notifies you of a rule violation. We reserve the right to escalate the consequence you've earned if you decide to vent at us. The definition of "abusive or inappropriate language" starts by applying Rule #1. Do note that Bartertown Staff members have the right to determine what qualifies as abusive or inappropriate at their discretion.

Rule #8: eBay & other Auction Sites, Stores, and Advertisements.
Any eBay or other off-site advertisements found wandering inappropriately (TBD by BT staff) will be executed with extreme prejudice. Repeat offenders will be banned from the site. This includes people who try to sneak links/banners for their stores or current auctions into their signature files. This stricture applies to Off-site Trade/Want/Sale list hosting (as mentioned in rule 4a), as well as blogs that offer painting services or items for sale, unless you have specific written administrative permission stating otherwise. See rule #15 for what we consider a business entity.

Rule #8a: Bartertown Advertisers May Ignore Rule #8.
Bartertown Advertisers - with darker blue usernames - are encouraged to put links & banners to their sites in their signature files and post in their respective forums. Bartertown Users are encouraged to visit the Advertisers' stores and spend money there. The advertisers make BT free for you to use.

Rule #8b: Don't Play Both Sides Against Each Other
Do not post an item on eBay (or any other auction site) and post a trade ad for it on Bartertown. That is unfair to eBay (or any other auction site) buyers and especially Bartertowners. If we find out you're doing this, you can expect a month's vacation. This exclusion pertains only to auction sites (even if you're selling as Buy It Now), and not to trade/sale ads posted to other internet forums, Facebook, Craigslist, and the like.

Helpful Hint: The community does not care about your standing on eBay or anywhere else. Bartertown references are the proverbial currency of the realm if you want to show how trustworthy you are.

Rule #9: Concerning 'acceptable' trade goods people have asked about:
Nothing that violates the law in the United States. That includes copyright law, federal law, state law, local law...get the idea?

This means that ALL RECAST MODELS are not acceptable trade/sale goods. This is NOT open for debate, will get you banned, and I will forward your information to the entities you're stealing from. This includes 3D prints of copyrighted items.

No weapons of any kind. This is not a political statement, this is a rule of the website as decided by the site Owner and Administrators.
NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS.
Anyone who posts an ad asking for firearms or other weapons in trade for anything will be immediately and permanently banned.

Unacceptable Trade Goods People Have Asked About: (and yes, people have asked!)
• Guns, Rifles, Shotguns, Automatic or semi-automatic Firearms (any weapon that fires projectiles with the intent to maim or pierce the skin and cause bodily harm or kill).
• cans of spam,
• bows, arrows, crossbows, shuriken, shaken,
• Firearm or archery accessories are NOT acceptable. That means no magazines (what holds the bullets), clips, parts, shells, reloading equipment, gunpowder, ammunition, sights, or anything else we deem related to such.
• Animals or animal parts are NOT acceptable trade materials, with the exception of goods (dice bags, etc.) made from leather or other (legal) animal skin. We're just not going to go there. For that matter, human beings or any of their constituent parts aren't acceptable trade materials either.
• sharpened spoons, blades of any length or type, (regardless of their condition, display status, etc.), polearms
• explosives, combustibles - though cans of spray paint and primer are acceptable,
• blunt-force instruments (batons, nightsticks, tonfa, escrima, etc) or boots-to-the-head. That includes practice weapons like SCA and Olympic fencing gear, dulled aluminum samurai swords, tree branches, darts, plastic kitchenware and cooking pans.
Recast Items (yes, we said it again).

Acceptable Trade Goods People Have Asked About:
• Paintball or Airsoft markers/guns and accessories/equipment.
• "Boffer" style weapons made of PVC pipe and foam padding are acceptable. If you have questions whether or not your item qualifies as "boffer" then contact us before you post. We will clarify.
• Foam lined gun and rifle cases (commonly used as miniature carrying cases).
• Resin and 3D Printing Machines, curing stations, resin, software packages, tools used in the hobby, etc. (must be located in the appropriate forum)

Questionable Trade Goods People Have Asked About:
• 3D printed items. PRINTED items may ONLY be exchanged for HARDWARE or other PRINTED items (ask an admin [red name] if you are unsure). This rule does not apply to Advertisers, who may sell 3D printed items if that is allowed by the file creator.
• See Rule #12 for restrictions on digital paraphernalia.

You should not trade or sell something that you or your trade partner do not currently have in your possession. If you do, the trade is not eligible for a BTR if something goes wrong.

Rule #10: Use discretion when trading for adult-related material.
ie DVDs, VHS, or whatever. There are a lot of minors who trade on this website and we don't need some angry parent threatening to shut us down because their kid picked up a p0rn0 DVD.

Rule #11: ITL or Reference intimidation
ITL (AKA Reference) intimidation is a first-offense ban.

What qualifies as ITL intimidation?
In its most direct form, ITL intimidation is when someone says something like "If you give me a bad trader report, I'm gonna give you one."
Anything that is not so direct, like "If you don't give me a good trade report, you'll regret it" also may qualify.

Note that giving someone retaliatory feedback qualifies as well. No free hits.
If you are not sure, please contact an Administrator or Moderator. The equivalent level of evidence required for filing a Bad Trader Report is necessary: emails with headers, PMs, and so forth. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO LEAVE FEEDBACK. If you don't, you can't really complain when someone says "this guy's a jerk - he never left me any feedback!" Should you just forget and someone leaves you what you consider to be an unjust reference, please see the 30-day feedback appeal rule below. I would consider leaving an appropriate feedback for them in exchange for having your own feedback edited acceptable and not 'intimidation' per se. Everyone makes mistakes, and not everyone is abundantly patient.

Rule #11a: Statute of Limitations
You have thirty (30) calendar days after a feedback has been posted on the ITL to appeal it. Please note this does NOT apply to properly submitted Bad Trader Reports.

Rule #12: Digital paraphernalia (accounts, items, cards, Alpha/Beta Keys, etc) Are Not Acceptable Trade Goods.
Do not post ads selling or soliciting MMORPG accounts, items, or currency. No Everquest, no Diablo 2, no Star Wars Galaxies, no World of Warcraft, or anything else in the multi-player online roleplaying game genre. Do not think you are being clever by selling a CD and sticking a piece of paper with your account information in the package with it. That still counts as a violation and you will be banned if we find out about it. Furthermore, no online collectible card game items/accounts/currencies. If you've got a super-awesome card on Magic Online, DO NOT come here to trade it.

If you have a WoW trading card that can affect the online WoW game, contact an Administrator BEFORE you post it for trade.

A quick and easy guideline is this: If the item only exists electronically, it is generally not allowed. The notable exception to this would be Steam games, as they have a built-in trading function.

Rule #13: Ad Posting & "Post Bumping"
Please note that Bartertown users are limited to one topic/ad per trade forum per seven calendar days. Also, they may not "bump" their own topic/ad - ever.
For those of you who don't understand this: Look at a calendar. If I post an ad on 3 July at 1:00 p.m. in the 40k forum I may not repost an ad to that forum until 10 July at 1:01 p.m.. That is seven calendar days. It's a legal term.

Example:
Let's say I have some LOTR Riders of Rohan I want to get rid of and other miscellaneous stuff from WHFB and 40K. I can post an ad with those items together in the LOTR, WHFB and 40K forums. Seven calendar days later, I can post another ad with the same items OR I can edit the ad at any time.
What I can't do is relist the items every day in each forum.

Helpful Hint: The idea here is to prevent excessive promotion of one's trade/sale items or discussion topics. Users are prohibited via software from making more than one new topic per seven days (4 days for Bartertown Plus members), but there are other ways to self-promote. It's awkward wording, but "post bumping" is a term understood by the greatest number of people.

A Trade Ad should only be placed in the most appropriate forum for the item(s) it contains. If you only have bits or terrain, for example, your ad should only go in the forum for what you have. If you have both, then both forums are the "most appropriate."
-If you only have and/or want 40K models, then your ad should only go in the 40K forum
-If you only have and/or want bits, regardless of the game system, then your ad should only go in the Bits forum
-If you only have and/or want terrain, regardless of the game system, then your ad should only go in the Terrain forum (etc.)

If you've got items that fit into multiple categories, you may cross-post given the stricture above.

You may update your ORIGINAL POST (OP), and you may then immediately leave a reply in the thread stating PRECISELY WHAT was updated. If you fail to update the OP, or fail to state what you updated in the reply; then your thread will be locked for Bumping and you will be given a warning.

A couple guidelines:
If someone replies to your ad, and you reply to them in the ad, you're PROBABLY bumping your post. Basically, you can ONLY respond to comments in your ad if you're offering REQUESTED elaboration about your items.
If they ask specific questions about the edition, condition, quantity of your models, and you reply, that's fine. You're answering questions specific to the items you're offering. As a general rule, if you're replying to your own ad, you should just assume you're bumping your post. that way, you don't get too disappointed if it gets locked. While "Post Bumping" isn't the worst thing you could do here, it is one of the rules we're especially vigilant about.

If they make an offer in the ad, and you decline or offer a counter proposal in the ad, that's Post Bumping. You should have PMed them.
If they say in the ad that they PMed you, and you reply that you responded, that's Post Bumping. You should have ONLY PMed them.
If you post a broken link, and someone replies in the ad that it's broken, then you respond to let them know it's fixed, that's Post Bumping. You should have PMed them.
If someone posts in the ad asking if the models are 28mm or 15mm and you respond - Not post Bumping.

Rule #14: NO ONE MAY GIVE THEMSELVES ANY ITL FEEDBACK WHATSOEVER.
The sole exception to this, as anyone who sees an Admin's feedback will note, is when we are testing the ITL recording and display system. Note that we are very specific about what the feedback is. Violation of this will result in immediate and permanent banning.

Rule #15: If you are a business, you must advertise with us.
This includes painters, ebay stores, online forums, artists, online stores, physical stores, and any permutation I missed wherein you operate any kind of for-profit entity and/or take money, goods, or services in exchange for goods or services. If you're not sure, contact me and we'll sort something out.
Advertisers support Bartertown and keep it free for the users. We offer a good deal with very impressive site statistics. Contact me (Linrandir) or 3eland for more details. You can also look here:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=74080

Rule #15a: Clarification..If you are operating a business, and you're conducting transactions or soliciting here without our consent, we will ask you to advertise. If you decline, we respectfully request you cease *all* activities on the site and leave. That includes people who have advertisements for goods or services in their signature files or people who solicit via PM. Things like "I'm a painter for hire - PM me for details" when you're not advertising here are just plain disrespectful and rude to the community.

Rule #15b: Forum owners: Talk to us about banner exchanges! The internet is plenty big enough, provided everyone plays fair.

You like this site? THANK THE ADVERTISERS BY SPENDING MONEY WITH THEM (oh, and tell them you heard about their store from us!).

------------------------
Disciplinary Measures
Would that these be not necessary, but they are. Please note that severity of offense (and therefore level of disciplinary action taken) is at the discretion of Bartertown Staff. Also note that any language deemed abusive or inappropriate towards any Bartertown Staff member or other Bartertown user will incur the penalties below at the discretion of the Admin or Moderator. Repetition of offense incurs the next higher penalty as appropriate.

First Violation
Violating any of these rules the first time will, depending on severity, earn you the following: A formal board warning and/or a two-week account suspension. Note that in 99% of cases you will only receive a formal warning unless you do something to escalate the situation. In that case, the consequence you earn will be escalated as well.

Second Violation
Again, depending on severity, you will earn one of three consequences:
1. Two Week account suspension
2. One Month Account suspension
3. Account Termination with negative ITL reference left.

Third Violation
Only one outcome: You are banned from the site. Your account will be inactivated, your email address will be banned, and a negative reference will be left for you on the ITL with as much information on you as we can gather.

Bad Trader Reports
If a user breaks any rules and is banned from Bartertown, we have the right to collect any and all information and file a Bad Trader Report (also known as a Bad Apple) in the Hall of Shame forum against said user. By agreeing to our terms of service, you agree to allow us to do this.

Very simple. Email me (Linrandir) and present your case. If you are appealing a decision I have made, your appeal will be forwarded to another Administrator who was not directly involved in your situation. Be advised that correct logic, evidence (as per a Bad Trader Report) and clear thinking will get you farther than playing rules lawyer, arguing semantics, threats, personal attacks, or appealing to my sentimental nature. Use of any logical fallacies in your appeal will not be looked upon kindly. I, or another uninvolved Administrator, will investigate the situation and render a final judgment. We reserve the right to modify consequences as we deem appropriate.

Do Not make me ask for you to provide evidence. If you appeal something without evidence you are wasting everyone's time and I will not dignify you with a reply.
Do Not send multiple emails, Private Messages, or other communications beyond the first unless you have something substantive to add. A "reminder," however well intentioned, is not substantive.

Once you've been contacted to confirm receipt of your appeal, the wheels will turn until a decision has been reached. You will be notified when the decision has been reached. Appeals will either be granted or denied;
Bartertown Staff reserve the right to render judgment and issue consequences based on criteria of our choosing. We are not obligated to share said criteria with anyone.

Return to “Bartertown Forum Rules”