FAQ, Part One

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

FAQ, Part One

Post by Linrandir »

Here's a quick FAQ based on common email questions I get.

"I switched email accounts and my references disappeared! What happened?"
The Bartertown feedback system uses your email address as the primary record-keeper for your feedback. Your references are still there, we promise. You can search for your references the same way as always.

We can switch your references over to your new email. Please contact Trademaster Adam via email or PM and he will put you on the list to change over. Be aware that this will take a while because, at last check, there were 3 dozen people on that list.

"I can't access my account!"
Make sure your caps lock is turned off. That happens a lot. If you get an error message, contact me and I will see what I can do for you. Sometimes the database just hiccups (it's happened to me too).

"Where'd my posts go??"
If all your ads just vanished, chances are you broke the multiple postings rule (#12). A moderator should have PM'd you a warning. Please read and follow the rules.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

I need to get a hold of a moderator/admin Who are they? What do they handle?
The current moderator/admin staff can be identified by their unique rank titles underneath the username:
Insidius (BTown Vigilante)
Alsiaie (The Piercing Eye)
Nuwisha (Deputy Pants)
Morlock-Bloodletter (Site Admin)
Those guys handle the general moderator duties - moving, editing, and locking threads; making sure people behave in the chat; rule enforcement, that sort of thing. They also may request disciplinary actions for users (which so far has been granted in all but one instance).

Linrandir (Site Admin): I handle site policy, all disciplinary matters, advertising, and pretty much anything that is not programming-related.

TrademasterAdam (Site Admin): The Bossman. Adam handles everything programming-related to the site. Improvements, modifications, the ITL ratings, all that is his domain.

What's the deal with these Bartertown Watchmen? Where do they get off warning me about stuff?
Something of a hostile question, but one that I have gotten since we started having them around. The Bartertown Watch are a group of volunteers from our users who act as a sort of "neighborhood watch" for Bartertown. They usually issue informal warnings to users for minor violations like multiple postings, threadjacking, etc. Should the circumstances warrant they may escalate the situation to a moderator's attention. They are considered Bartertown staff for the purposes of rule enforcement.

I think I am being treated unfairly by a member of the staff. What can I do?
Well, you can always present your case to me. There is a section in the rules entitled "Appeals" or something similar (I don't have the sections memorized) which will give you detailed instructions for how to go about formatting said appeal. Do note that the staff communicates frequently so I may well be familiar with the situation already. Also, some people have contacted Adam about whatever their non-programming-related situation is - he has and will continue to refer said situations to me.

I am always open to a well-structured logical argument that does not depend on hair-splitting definitions to make the point. However, whining and pleading ignorance is not the way to win me over. Once a decision has been made, that's it. It might be hardassed, but that's how we keep a semblance of order on the site.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

"What constitutes a trade/purchase/agreement?"

A Bartertown 'Trade' occurs when both parties have agreed to a transaction, be it a purchase (ie buyer-seller) or exhange of items and/or services, and have agreed to the terms of said transaction.
For example. Morlock and I agree to trade his Warmachine Cryx for my Warhammer Fantasy Chaos. We negotiate what we're trading specifically, we negotiate shipping terms, and we negotiate a time-frame for said shipping. Once we agree - and this can be as simple as "you're cool with that?" or as complex as sending a separate email that states the exact terms of everything agreed to along with a request to reply-with-agreement - the Trade is on.
If something unexpected happens, like a family emergency or unexpected deployment, it is the responsibility of the person in question to let the other party know what's happened within a reasonable time frame.

What's the difference between a bad feedback and a bad trader report?
Bad feedback, which I'll refer to as negative feedback, has far looser rules than a bad trader report. Negative feedback can be left if a trade goes *very badly*. In other words, the other party lied, cheated you, or otherwise did something so bad that you'll never trade with them again.
A Bad Trader Report is when you have been scammed by someone and can prove it. There is a forum for that, appropriately called the Bad Trader Forum. I highly recommend reading the rules...unless you want to get suspended.

Banned? Suspended? What's the difference?
Banned is just that. Gone. No longer welcome on the site. Forever.
Suspended is also just that. Your account is frozen for a predetermined length of time, then it's reactivated.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”