General Trading Suggestions:

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

General Trading Suggestions:

Post by Linrandir »

First, please note that these are SUGGESTIONS and not RULES. Meaning, you can follow them if you want to or not if you don't. However, if you don't and you get burned, that's your own problem.

Reposted from the rules thread in Misc. Messages:

Now, here are some suggestions to make your Btown experience better. Contributors, you know who you are. Thank you.

On Trading
Be as specific as possible in your ads and in your communications with the interested party. Include pictures where possible (not everyone owns a scanner or digicam so we can't make this a requirement).

Exact counts and conditions of models are appreciated by all parties. Condition of the model includes the following:
Damaged or not
Pieces missing
Painted/Primed/Baremetal
Converted or Original
Still in the original package?
What kind of work has been done to it? Have the flash-lines been removed?

Negotiations are left up to the individuals concerned. We do ask that you treat your trade partners as you would like them to treat you.

Lastly, before you finalize anything, CHECK THE ITL & the BAD TRADER FORUM!!
Better safe than scammed.

On Shipping
Get their address and phone # when possible. Agree on who ships first, how they ship (UPS, USPS, etc). I strongly recommend Delivery Confirmation and/or Insurance if you use the post office.

Typically, the trader with the lowest rating ships first, but that is negotiable.

Overseas shipping requires you fill out Customs forms. Don't lie on the customs forms, it's a violation of federal law.

Share your shipping information with your trade partner. If you sent it yesterday via USPS with delivery confirmation, email the DC number to your trade partner.

On Feedback
It is your responsibility to leave feedback for your trading partners. The ITL is what sets Btown apart and lets honest traders build a reputation. It only takes about a minute to leave feedback. LEAVE FEEDBACK!! Smile
Bartertown users generally don't care about eBay feedback or reputations from other sites - so if you're a new user here, be prepared to ship first until you get your reputation up to the point where people consider you trustworthy.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns contact me.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
Oberst Von Ulrich ( 8 )
BTown Regular

Post by Oberst Von Ulrich »

What if your the sender of the objects? Like if someone pays me for something then I generaly wait for the $$ to come then send it. Wouldn't you think this fair? That way they have my address for a back-up. I'm not made of money and the money I get is partially devoted to shipping.

This also to all those I make deals with.

Don't you think it's fair?
Arthur
ekister ( 184 )
Expert Trader

Post by ekister »

Oberst Von Ulrich wrote:What if your the sender of the objects? Like if someone pays me for something then I generaly wait for the $$ to come then send it. Wouldn't you think this fair? That way they have my address for a back-up. I'm not made of money and the money I get is partially devoted to shipping.

This also to all those I make deals with.

Don't you think it's fair?
I don't understand this entire series of statements, but generally, if you have a lower rating, expect to send first. Plain and simple. It is even more likely if you are trading someone with a rating more than 25 points higher than you.

I could care less what address you give me in exchange for my money up front. You could be lying. Again, plain and simple.

If we work out a trade, part of the agreement will be you sending your stuff first about 99% of the time. The only exceptions, you have a higher rating, or I have traded with you in the past and the deal is less than $40 or so.
Ekister
former BT Watch member

"For better hallway vision, sport."
J. Bender
Oberst Von Ulrich ( 8 )
BTown Regular

The what about postage $? Sometimes postage can be over 30$
Arthur
Bloodcircle ( 374 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Bloodcircle »

Oberst Von Ulrich wrote:The what about postage $? Sometimes postage can be over 30$
Normally, if your trading, you'd eat the shipping, on purchases, the buyer would normally pay shipping. But it really depends on the final arrangment.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Lower rating always ships first, (unless I have dealt with you before and on good terms). Sorry, that's just the way it is.
Zaakath ( 138 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Zaakath »

I have to ask what the heck your shipping too.

I recently sent a 15.5 lb package and it was only $20 USPS Priority w/ DC.

Continuing Ekister's comment;

I have had peole that didn't want to send first, they were a rating of 2. I had a 60+ at the time. It was and will be a dealbreaker for me if your more than 25 rating below me.

On the other side, Ekister and I are in the works for something at the moment, I OFFERED to ship first, considering that he's more than double my current rating of 72.
"Oh My foot is fine, but I think the chair died." -RR

"Dance with me Death, I am ready." - RR

"Knowledge is the destination, truth is the journey."-Terry Goodkind
Oberst Von Ulrich ( 8 )
BTown Regular

I only ship second when I'm delivering the goods but other then that I Ship first.

Lots of Metal minis add up, and some take lot's of space if there are carefuly packaged plastic ones.
Arthur
fibonacci ( 180 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by fibonacci »

Oberst Von Ulrich wrote:I only ship second when I'm delivering the goods but other then that I Ship first.

Lots of Metal minis add up, and some take lot's of space if there are carefuly packaged plastic ones.
No offense, but what is this experience that you are referring to? Also, you say that plastics and metals take lots of space, but USPS (the most common shipping method) is based soley on wieght until you break 80 inches.

Beyond your last sentence, almost nothing you have said makes any sense. Can you be a little more clear?
The production of useful work is limited by the laws of thermodynamics, but the production of useless work seems unlimited.
AJCarrington ( 380 )
Resident Trader

Post by AJCarrington »

I think that he's shipping out of Canada; up here Canada Post balances both weight and package size into the price.

AJC
Oberst Von Ulrich ( 8 )
BTown Regular

Correct I am form Canada.

What I meant was that the metal figs are heavy and the plastic one's you have to wrap very carefuly so they don't brake. So far with all my sales nothing has broken when I sent it because I take good care to pack it properly.
Arthur
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

AJCarrington wrote:I think that he's shipping out of Canada; up here Canada Post balances both weight and package size into the price.

AJC
so does the US> if you have a big box, that is light, say like a lamp shade or beach ball size, then theres a oresize-surcharge.
Alsiaie ( 198 )
The Piercing Eye

Post by Alsiaie »

I never charge any shipping no matter the cost if I am trading material items for other materials items. I think it's absolutely silly to ask such a thing. I do own a digital postal scale however. When I do send items which I am trading for currency, I usually charge exact shipping. There have been some times where I still eat part of that because of high charges. I am still pending a $350 cash deal with a guy in the UK. Exact shipping based on weight to him was $45 for the package. (This did not include weight for any shipping materials except a small box) I ended up charging 65% of that along with all the items I was selling.
Oberst Von Ulrich ( 8 )
BTown Regular

Well If I'm receiving a fair ammount of cash then I'll pay for shipping but I'm tlaking about the 20$ things where it costs you more to ship then what you actually earn.
Arthur
fibonacci ( 180 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by fibonacci »

New recommendation:

When considering a trade:
a. Do not expect me to trade $50 worth of NIB miniatures for $50 worth of poorly assembled modeled.

b. When I make you an offer you don't like, either say no, or make a counter offer. Swearing at me and calling me a lying cheat for offering you $35 of NIB for $50 of poorly assembled does not help you get a better deal.

That is all for today.
The production of useful work is limited by the laws of thermodynamics, but the production of useless work seems unlimited.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

don't expect me to trade my minis at cash price for yours at full retail.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”