reference

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

godofnipple ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

reference

Post by godofnipple »

What does a negative number in the parentheses next to a trader's name mean? Should I avoid trades with this person?
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: reference

Post by 3eland »

It means they have a bad reference against them. If you click that number it will go to the reference page for that member and you can read everything to do with their references.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

godofnipple wrote:What does a negative number in the parentheses next to a trader's name mean? Should I avoid trades with this person?
Click the number to look at their references. The number in Parentheses is their 'reference score'. High is generally better than low, but you would want to read through to see what happened.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

A negative is worth -10. A positive is worth +2. A neutral is 0.
With that information, you can look at someone's score and get a general idea of what's going on.
That said, to repeat what's been said above, click the number. It will take you to the list and show you everything (including a reason WHY they got the negative - that can make a difference). There are some traders with high scores who, unfortunately, still have quite a few negatives.

As for whether or not you should trade with them... that depends on WHY they got the reference and if they're willing to consider their score in negotiations.

For example... You currently have a 4. If you and I agree on a trade, then you change your mind, it's within site rules for me to leave you a negative "back out" reference. That will put you at -6. it doesn't make you a bad trader, per se, and doesn't mean you should be avoided. On the other hand, if I leave the negative because I paid you and you never shipped - or shipped crap that was different than promised... it would be good to avoid you in the future OR to make sure you ship first.

Read the ref. See what's up. If they're negative because of what I call a "trust based" issue, it could still be worth trading with them if they're willing to ship first.

You can always reach out to staff. We can't TELL you what to do, but we'll offer suggestions, advice and opinions.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”