New to bartertown, quick question

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

InvokeChaos ( 0 )
New Trader

New to bartertown, quick question

Post by InvokeChaos »

Hello all,

This site was recommended to me by a bunch of my friends. Looks pretty cool and hoping to make good use of it! I just have a quick question:

Is it ok to post a query on value to the trade forums?

I have an extensive collection (in various states) of old school Dark Eldar for 40k. I don't have any idea what it's worth. Seems like all the posts are just listing haves and wants... is it ok to just list that with no set value? Or should I try to list what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I missed this information somewhere.

-Ray
Gav99 ( 562 )
Expert Trader

Re: New to bartertown, quick question

Post by Gav99 »

I've seen it many times where people list what they have and say "open to offers" rather than price anything up or put any wants.

If you do want something (other than cash) then it's best to list it to give people an idea of what you're looking for (as vague as just a game system, or as detailed as to how you want the mini painted) but the vaguer the more people will contact you.

If you have a remote idea on what price you're asking (if selling) it will get you more interest to put prices, otherwise you'll get a lot of lowball offers and a few decent ones. I find it less work to just list prices than having to read a thousand lowball PMs (OK, an exaggeration... but you do get quite a few lowballs)

Some advice though:

List it ALL with as much detail as you can (era, material, condition [painted/NOS/NIB/bare metal, etc]. Don't say "email for details" as that's going to kill interest.

Photos Photos Photos! Of anything built/painted. You can wait for people to contact you, but people like myself are put off by having to ask for photos. If I'm buying something I shouldn't have to do a load of work in order to buy it. So posting photos will get you more interest of the right kind.

You can price anything as you see fit, but try not to get too crazy. This isn't ebay with fees and millions of bidders. You're already saving 10% from selling on ebay, so ebay prices should stay on ebay imho.

Conduct any PM/Transaction with dignity and professionalism. It's important that we all act like adults in being courteous and to the point in any dealings. The truth is always necessary, and the vast majority are willing to work with you if you're willing to be friendly and understanding.

With that said, good luck selling/trading your wares.
Trading on Dakkadakka under the same name.
InvokeChaos ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by InvokeChaos »

Thank you very much for your advice! I really appreciate it :-)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

If you're in a spot of "I have this stuff and want to know what it's worth," you have 2 options. I suggest using BOTH, and in this order:

1) Search eBay completed auctions. That will show you what people are listing AND selling for. After that, I'd isolate it to SOLD auctions. This will give you an idea of what expected eBay resell is.
2) Post in our discussion forums at the bottom of the main page (NOT IN THE ACTUAL TRADE FORUMS - those are for trade ads ONLY) and ask what you can expect to get for X, Y, and Z items here. List eBay prices for those items and ask if that is in line with what can be expected here.
The more you do for yourself BEFORE asking for help, the more the regulars here will want to help you. If you come across as wanting us to do all the leg work for you, you won't see as much help from us.

If you have friends who are members, and they spend any time in any of the discussion forums, they'll tell you we are a rather tight knit community. People who fit well into that community are those who want to make things better for ALL and who don't want to make everyone else do everything for them.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
InvokeChaos ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by InvokeChaos »

Duly noted, Eric. And fantastic idea! Thank you very much, I will get to work on both of those.

-Ray

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”