Admins - BT Advertiser Spamming My Email

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Admins - BT Advertiser Spamming My Email

Post by ancientsociety »

So earlier this week I got an email from Flip-A-Coin Games at the email I am registered at Bartertown for. Initially, I just deleted it without opening it and thought nothing more of it. I get some spam from gaming companies every so often and usually don't think anything of it because I never get much more.

Today, however, I got a THIRD email this week from this company and finally opened the email to unsubscribe. Lo and behold, I was met with the following:
Today Only - Get an additional 5% off of assembled items! Please respond to this email with the subject line PRICELIST to see what we have for sale, or check out our Bartertown advertiser forum:

*Bartertown:
viewforum.php?f=148....

HarveyDent has always been a reliable presence on Ebay and the highly renowned trade-and sell site Bartertown....

Flip-of-a-Coin Games is represented by HarveyDent on Bartertown, and he's one of its most reputable and reliable traders. Check out his advertiser forum here:
viewforum.php?f=148...
I checked my account settings and the other users I've selected to contact me via email are Admins, so why am I being bombarded with spam from a BT Advertiser? To my knowledge, I've never before received emails from any other advertisers, so how and why did this advertiser receive my personal email? I get that it's expensive to run this site and I understand the desire to monetize it, but I certainly don't appreciate my inbox being filled with multiple sales emails from an advertiser I never signed up with and never ordered from. What's the deal?
Trading Guidelines:
1. Lower rating ships first - even if I am purchasing.
2. If you agree to buy something, you have 72hrs. in which to pay. If payment is not received in 72hrs., I will automatically post a Non-Payment/Backout thread.
3. Refs are left upon positive receipt of goods, NEVER beforehand!
4. I accept Paypal & USPS money orders and charge for shipping AT COST. I make no profit from it.
5. I trade NIB/new models at retail.
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Admins - BT Advertiser Spamming My Email

Post by akum »

Might have got your email when you made a trade with him in the past?..I see you did trade with him at one point.
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

akum wrote:Might have got your email when you made a trade with him in the past?..I see you did trade with him at one point.
Not something I thought to check and it looks like you're right. Still not cool
Trading Guidelines:
2. If you agree to buy something, you have 72hrs. in which to pay. If payment is not received in 72hrs., I will automatically post a Non-Payment/Backout thread.
4. I accept Paypal & USPS money orders and charge for shipping AT COST. I make no profit from it.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Have you reached out too Harvey Dent? User just became an advertiser here so something may be set incorrectly.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

jason1977 wrote:Have you reached out too Harvey Dent? User just became an advertiser here so something may be set incorrectly.
I have sent him an email.
Trading Guidelines:
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

Howdy!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, please know that the staff is looking into this, and we'll let you know what's going on shortly.

Cheers,
Plarz
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
ancientsociety ( 842 )
Millenium Trader

Post by ancientsociety »

Plarz wrote:Howdy!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, please know that the staff is looking into this, and we'll let you know what's going on shortly.

Cheers,
Plarz
No worries, thanks for the quick response.
Trading Guidelines:
HarveyDent ( 3250 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by HarveyDent »

Hi all,

I was kinda waiting to hear back from Porkuslime to see how he would like me to respond to this, but I don't like to put the burden of resolving things on our wonderful moderators all the time - they're a great bunch of guys that provide a great service!

First, I was occupied this evening, so my apologies to ancientsociety for the slow response. I'm still navigating all the linked media I have going on right now and it's hard to remember to check all my different email addresses. I have responded to [him] via email, stating the same thing I'm stating here.

Yes, I have recently become an advertiser. I've also been a member here for about nine years (with a pretty good rating, I might add). When I began buying and selling all the time, I was approached by our fearless moderators with the request to become an advertiser - which I complied with. I have compiled quite a long list of data over the past nine years (actually longer than that) of all the people I've dealt with here on Bartertown and on Ebay. I'm actually quite pleased with the massive amount of sales I've done here; I love this site, and I love having access to a great community!

So I decided to use my data for Flip-of-a-Coin Games in order to drive sales and build my social media network. You'll notice that I have links to Twitter, Facebook, Ebay, Instagram, Bartertown, etc. and while I'm still building that aspect of the business, it will be running at full steam within a few weeks time.

About a year ago, I decided that I wanted to use a partially finished email list to boost my number of transactions here on Bartertown. It met with positive results, although at the time I didn't have enough time available to make use of a full-blown social media element. I also spoke to Magikal Memories about using my own email list, and at that time there was no reason that I couldn't do so (since it was mine, compiled by me, through outside email interactions).

Since I became an advertiser, I decided to pick an email client that is extremely reliable. I have used it for my other business as well, and it always serves me well. I chose it specifically because it makes it easy for people to unsubscribe (very desireable in my line of work). I simply figured that if people don't wish to receive email solicitations, they will unsubscribe from the list, and that will be that.

If I have offended anyone, in any way, I'm extremely sorry. However, I feel that sending emails is simply a non-intrusive style of communication that's easily manageable by recipients. It's not like getting robo-calls on your phone, continuously, with no way to stop them aside from filing complaints with the FCC. My rationale on this is that since we have had dealings with each other in the past, you probably wouldn't mind at least receiving a few emais which offer reduced price gaming items :)

A note on future emails: For the first few weeks, I'll probably be sending out more than two emails per week. After that initial period, I will probably just send out one or two per week (sometimes less). As time goes on, the necessity of sending out email will lessen because the permanence of my social media presence will increase.

Anyhow, I hope we can all continue to do business - I certainly would like for any of you (especially you ancientsociety who lives near where I grew up, which is pretty cool) who are interested in dealing with me approach me for deals.

If there are any additional questions about what I do, how I do it, or what I can fix, please feel free to address them openly here - I will try to remember to check this thread on a regular basis. If you don't see any response from me within a day, please PM me to check this thread.

Thanks again!

G
When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King
What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight
And He’ll Win The Whole Thing ‘Fore He Enters The Ring
There’s No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might
So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand
And Remember That Depth Is The Greatest Of Heights
And If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where To Land
And If You Fall It Won’t Matter, Cuz You’ll Know That You’re Right

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”