USPS Improper Packaging (Paging Kturock?)

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

USPS Improper Packaging (Paging Kturock?)

Post by pretre »

So I just had a user on another forum inform me that he was charged $5 for a package I sent to him.

" I got the mini but was charged 5$ for improper shipping/packaging. Apparently the envelope didn't fit the "small package" criteria. "

I sent a single metal mini and slotta base in a padded envelope by first class package service.

Service Type:
First-Class Mail® Parcel (2-5 days)
Package Size:
Package/Thick Envelope
Weight:
0 lbs. 1 oz.
Mailing Date:
Apr 1, 2014
Delivery Confirmation:
Free
Signature Confirmation:
No
Display Postage Value on Label:
No

How the heck is a padded envelope not an approved package for this type of service? Is this guy or his post office jerking me(us) around? This was a $10 sale total. Sending him $5 kills the whole thing.

Ideas?
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: USPS Improper Packaging (Paging Kturock?)

Post by pretre »

I asked him for a picture of any notice or bill they gave and I will probably call that post office to find out more after he sends it.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Did you pay postage online or at the USPS?
If you paid at the USPS, it sounds like it's THEIR (USPS) issue.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:Did you pay postage online or at the USPS?
If you paid at the USPS, it sounds like it's THEIR (USPS) issue.

Eric
Online. I always print using either usps.com or paypal.com/shipnow.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Okay, so I got a pic of the package.

It had a 'postage due' stamp and '6.95-1.93 = 5.02' written in pen on it.

How the heck does a 1 oz first class envelope cost $6.95?
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

it doesn't that sounds like it had something else on it. like a priority label.
without seeing it, or seeing it's weight, I can only guess.

If you put a 1/2 ounce letter in a priority mail envelope, it'll cost you $5, or is it now $6? Whatever the base price for priority mail.

If you use a priority mail label or tape, it gets charged as priority mail rate. If you 'restrict' the sender, there's a fee.

If it's just a plain small padded enveope, and in the US, small packet rate is usually for international mail, have the receiver bring it back to the post office and have them reweigh it. If they say it's $7, ask them why.

Like I said, without seeing it, I can only guess.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

also, for a quicker response from me, send me a pm..I don't mind. [I charge everyone the same, 'cept for MM. He gets it for free. I got tired of having chickens showing up.] ;-)

If you can send me a pic..PM me and I'll send you me email addy.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

So here's what 'Mike' at the Albion Post Office said.

He said because it was not rigid or more than 3/4" thick, they had to charge it as a letter. Because it had a tracking number, they had to charge the recipient as if it was priority mail.

There's no way that a padded envelope with a metal GW mini in it (Sister Hospitaller, btw) is less than 3/4" thick. Even if it was, this sounds like a crazy policy.

He also said that he doesn't care what anyone else does, until his management tells him to stop doing it, he'll keep doing it.

Supposedly he is looking up further details and will call me back tomorrow.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

yes, but no.
It was over 3/4" inch thick, because it was on a 1" base.
The rest is true because letters go through a sorting machine that has certain tolerances, and criteria.

Padded envelopes are not supposed to go through the machine, regardless of contents.
Empty padded envelopes are about 1/2" thick.

Also, because postage was charge at the higher, package rate, it goes as a package. Which is a slower sorting process and different machines.

Also, he's right, he must do what his mis-informed supervisor says.
Next step, contact the post master. That's the supervisors boss.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Wow. What a pain in the *ss.
Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Ugh. So he called me back. After about 10 minutes, the best I managed was for him to say that he will refund my customer if he can prove the package is more than 3/4" thick. I think I'll just eat the $5 rather than deal with his crap.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Moral of the story: Artificially bulk out small packages. Seems counter-intuitive to me, but oh well.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Also, you can tell him what I said. I'm a 26+ year employee. I had 3 years window clerk service. I had 18 years as a clerk and worked every sorting machine.
I'm now in maintainance. I'm an ET, an Electrnoic Technician. I repair and maintain the DBCS machines. [delivery bar code sorter]. I see the crap that's improperly run through the machines daily.

Tell him that padded envelope,
Here is the link and the specks on what isn't a letter or large envelope. so you can print it out.

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class.htm

Letters:
•Must be rectangular.
•Minimum size is 5" long x 3 1/2" high x 0.007” thick.
•Maximum size of 11 1/2" long x 6 1/8" high x 1/4” thick.
•Maximum weight is 3.5 oz.
•A letter will be charged a nonmachinable surcharge if it’s a square letter 5" x 5" or larger, it doesn’t bend easily, has clasps or similar closure devices, has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter, is lumpy, or the length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.
•There are restrictions for mailing restricted and hazardous materials.

Large envelopes:
•Must be rectangular.
•Minimum size is either more than 11 1/2″ long x 6 1/8″ high OR 1/4″ thick.
•Maximum size is 15″ long x 12" high x 3/4” thick.
•Maximum weight of 13 oz.
•Large envelopes that exceed these dimensions will be charged package rates.

Packages:
•Maximum weight of 13 oz.
•Up to 108″ in combined length and girth.

After 13 ounces it MUST go Priority Mail OR Standard Mail.

Also, online Priority Mail is $5.05 for the base price, not $7.
Also, you can add tracking to 1st class mail packages for .80. Or to 1st class letters using a Certified service for $3.30.

Here's a link to the tracking cost page:
https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and ... rvices.htm?

USPS Tracking
No charge with Priority Mail, Standard Post, and First-Class Mail parcels (electronic option)

It sounds to me like he has a brainless supervisor, like most of them, who thinks he knows something and is enforcing it with an iron rule. "Do as I say or you will be punished."

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

DON'T SUCK IT UP. TEHY ARE IMPROPERLY CHARGING CUSTOMERS.

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah, I actually had the rules and prices up on my computer while I was talking to him. I even brought up Certified and he had some glib reason why it had to be post office price priority mail.

I brought up that there weren't minimum requirements for packages on the site as well.

He was just very sure of his answer and not willing to change.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”