What is the appropriate time to wait for a reference?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

What is the appropriate time to wait for a reference?

Post by frankcastle »

Let's say you complete a transaction. You are happy and leave a good reference. How long should I wait before asking politely for them to reciprocate?

I'm not worried as it's been less than a day but just curious overall.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: What is the appropriate time to wait for a reference?

Post by pretre »

If they read your positive (which you can check from your outbox), then no more than a week. I don't usually hound people but I just noticed how many I am missing and am changing my policy.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Once they have received everything and your both content I would expect a reference as soon as possible. I would wait a few days and if they are consistently logging on and you still don't get a reference then after a few days I would send him a polite PM. However, don't get upset if they refuse to leave you one, I have had 4-5 people not leave me a reference and although I have PM'd them politely about it they simply refuse to answer it. It's not a requirement to leave references, and some people just like to soak in the references while not giving them to others.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Hehe. I just made a form letter and PM'd all the missing ones I had. BT only lets you BCC 5 people at a time though.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Before leaving the ref, I sometimes send a PM saying, "So, all is well with the trade, then, and we can exchange positive references?"
If they don't respond, I don't bother with a ref (unless they don't respond, but leave me one).
Once they respond, I leave one. If I haven't received mine yet, I PM and say "I just left your positive reference. I'd appreciate it if you'd reciprocate when you get a minute."
Maybe a reminder a couple days after that.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”