Pay the ship vs ship then pay.... does rating matter?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Pay the ship vs ship then pay.... does rating matter?

Post by frankcastle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 pm

I think that if your rating is higher and you want to buy from a lower rated person you can ask for ship before pay. I looked through some stickiees but was not able to find an answer to this question.

BUT does it matter that my rating is so low? If a seller has a rating lower does it matter?

If I ask for ship first from a lower rated seller am I risking the sale occurring?

Thanks,

FC

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Pay the ship vs ship then pay.... does rating matter?

Post by starslayer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:00 pm

Depends on the buyer & seller. I probably wouldn't pay you first. No offense, but your rating isn't that high. No one is forced to accept anyone elses terms. Ive seen plenty of low ref members have an ad that says "payment first, no matter the ratings". Most high ref members will pass them by.
Ive seen a guy selling an army for $1500 with a 0 rating. Who in their right mind would pay him first?
Look at the back out & bad trade section- the vast majority are low ref traders.
Im not saying all low ref traders are bad- there are many good ones. But the facts are; who has more to lose? The guy with a 4 whos been here two months or the guy with 400 whos been here 8 years?
Your trade rep is built up & earned. To come here , brand new & demand the same treatment that others spent years & scores of trades on is silly & will cost you many potential buyers/traders. But its always your choice.

3eland ( 70 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm

starslayer wrote:Depends on the buyer & seller. I probably wouldn't pay you first. No offense, but your rating isn't that high. No one is forced to accept anyone elses terms. Ive seen plenty of low ref members have an ad that says "payment first, no matter the ratings". Most high ref members will pass them by.
Ive seen a guy selling an army for $1500 with a 0 rating. Who in their right mind would pay him first?
Look at the back out & bad trade section- the vast majority are low ref traders.
Im not saying all low ref traders are bad- there are many good ones. But the facts are; who has more to lose? The guy with a 4 whos been here two months or the guy with 400 whos been here 8 years?
Your trade rep is built up & earned. To come here , brand new & demand the same treatment that others spent years & scores of trades on is silly & will cost you many potential buyers/traders. But its always your choice.
+1 as always Starslayer.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

2020 W/L/T ratios:

AOS
KO - 5/0/0

Adunaphel ( 802 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm

I couldn't agree more with what Starslayer has stated. I have to admit, though, that I get a lot of newer traders who understand what the trade rating
means and they are willing to ship first.

I see newer traders who have the "you pay first" line and I just smile and move along. I have only had TWO bad trades here on Bartertown and both times
they were when I sent money first to somebody who had a MUCH lower rating than me.

I won't do it again and I am a little surprised when I see very high rated traders who do. I just see it as a potential for trouble that's unnecessary.
Almost every high rated trader that I know will go to unbelievable lengths to make sure that their trades go smoothly and both parties are happy with it.

Having done this for quite a while, one of the biggest things to learn is that if somebody's trade practices don't work for you, then let it go. There are a ton
of fish here and you will find your items in time.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:27 pm

starslayer wrote: Im not saying all low ref traders are bad- there are many good ones.
In fact, all high-level traders began as low-level traders, and all good traders began as low-level traders too.

That experience often shapes the attitudes of a high-level trader, who has, so to speak, "done his/her time" or "paid his/her dues".
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary

jokerkiller ( 62 )
BTown Regular

Post by jokerkiller » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:33 pm

The only part kind of isn't fair to me is the fact I've had 25% of my traders not leave any feedback so that makes it hard to build a higher total.

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:36 pm

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:
starslayer wrote: Im not saying all low ref traders are bad- there are many good ones.
In fact, all high-level traders began as low-level traders, and all good traders began as low-level traders too.

That experience often shapes the attitudes of a high-level trader, who has, so to speak, "done his/her time" or "paid his/her dues".

Right.
I just add that part because some new traders might feel im saying they are all bad. We all started with a zero rating.

porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Jokerkiller....

I would take the time to politely message them and ask them to give that reference.. "Since things seem to have gone well, can you take a moment to leave me some feedback?" or something..

I find that a LOT of traders, especially new ones, don't hit "Yes" on the second confirmation screen... so, they THINK they left a reference, but did not.

-P
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!

MagickalMemories ( 828 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48 pm

jokerkiller wrote:The only part kind of isn't fair to me is the fact I've had 25% of my traders not leave any feedback so that makes it hard to build a higher total.
Something I've done in the past is to add, as part of the trade agreement, something like, "At the completion of the trade provided both parties have lived up to their portion of the trade, we will each leave a positive reference for the other." If they don't, then they are violating the terms of the agreement, which allows you to leave a neutral or negative.

I'm also a proponent of "First Risk, first reward." If you ship your stuff to me first, then you deserve to leave the first reference. This ensures that higher rated traders don't GET ref's without leaving them.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

pretre ( 1334 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:56 pm

I need to go back and check to see if folks ever left me feedback. Hmm. Good thing I have a spreadsheet of deals!
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

frankcastle ( 14 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by frankcastle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 pm

starslayer wrote:Depends on the buyer & seller. I probably wouldn't pay you first. No offense, but your rating isn't that high. No one is forced to accept anyone elses terms. Ive seen plenty of low ref members have an ad that says "payment first, no matter the ratings". Most high ref members will pass them by.
Sorry guys I am not getting the answer to the question that I tried to ask.

I have a rating 8 a seller has a rating 2 and is offering 60% off MSRP on NIB items. Sounds almost too good to be true. So I would proceeds with a bit more caution. All my other purchases were with double digit or better sellers.

So in being cautious could I ask that they ship first or would I get laughed at?

pretre ( 1334 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 pm

Wow. I'm glad you guys were talking about it. According to my quick vlookup versus my feedback list, I am missing feedback from the following users:

ontargetstudios, lostprophet, Readingrambo, Cbandit17, Wolfgang07, VoxPlayer, Zombiepimp (2 refs!), Skuller, steellegioncpt, Joekayak, Bigheaddan, Tingle, krootman, A Musketeer, dgoerlitz, fryguy49, Inigo Montoya, AdamantLife, Mournafein, Byte, griffen127, Legions_no_more

Time to edit my sig!
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

pretre ( 1334 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:08 pm

frankcastle wrote:Sorry guys I am not getting the answer to the question that I tried to ask.

I have a rating 8 a seller has a rating 2 and is offering 60% off MSRP on NIB items. Sounds almost too good to be true. So I would proceeds with a bit more caution. All my other purchases were with double digit or better sellers.

So in being cautious could I ask that they ship first or would I get laughed at?
I would go halfsies with him. Pay half now and half on arrival. You guys basically have the same rating at this point.

Adunaphel ( 802 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:10 pm

He might (and I stress might) be willing to ship first. I think a difference of 6 on trade rating is taking the whole "you ship first" to an extreme. I will pay or ship simultaneously with traders who have 500 or 600 less of a rating than me if I feel that their references look good.

If I was him and had a 2 rating (and we all did) and you asked me to ship first with an 8, I would say no. Now if you had a 48 or so with all good references, then yes I would ship first before you pay.
How big of an order were you going to place?

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:14 pm

frankcastle wrote:I think that if your rating is higher and you want to buy from a lower rated person you can ask for ship before pay. I looked through some stickiees but was not able to find an answer to this question.

BUT does it matter that my rating is so low? If a seller has a rating lower does it matter?

If I ask for ship first from a lower rated seller am I risking the sale occurring?

Thanks,

FC
Yes, you can ask anyone to ship first.

Yes, you could risk the deal. depends on the persons temperament.

A good deal isn't a good deal if you don't get what you paid for.

Good luck.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”