Posting a reference for a gift

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Garlicson2 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Posting a reference for a gift

Post by Garlicson2 »

To get to the point,

A fellow bartertown member sent me some free bits without asking anything in return. Meaning, no trade or sale was made, but the guy was still nice enough because he believed that bits "should be shared by the community". I want to post him a good reference, but I don't know if I can it not. Any answers or advice to show him how I'm thankful is appreciated.

Thank you,

Johnny
Couple of things to know when trading with me:

1. Lower rating ships/trades first (Me included), unless your ad states vice versa, NO EXCEPTIONS.

2. The price on my lot does NOT include shipping, unless my ad says otherwise.

3. I'm not good with shipping at the same time, so if our rating is the same, we should discuss who'll send first.

Other than that, I'm a easy going trader, so don't hesitate to make any offer, worst I can say is "No thanks".
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Posting a reference for a gift

Post by starslayer »

I do not know the official answer, but if you would leave such a reference, put an explanation that it was a gift of bits, not a sale/trade.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

We frown on references in these cases, but do not rule them out, entirely.
It HAS happened in the past that a new member set out a bunch of meaningless bits to people for "just a positive reference," then used those built up references to scam people. It's been a number of years, but it's happened.
Maybe he just tried to, but was unsuccessful... the minutia are lost to me.

If you WANT to leave the guy a ref, it's up to you, but I'd advise you to use good judgement.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

What if that member is actually a normal contributor to the site and just thinks bits should be shared amongst each other? Like if it was you MM and you sent me some much needed bits and didn't want anything in return I would want to leave you some sort of reference. There was still a trade agreement, no? You still were required to send me the bits and had you not, would it not warrant a backout?

But I agree, good judgement would be key when leaving references when no actual "trade value" was negotiated.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

3eland wrote:What if that member is actually a normal contributor to the site and just thinks bits should be shared amongst each other? Like if it was you MM and you sent me some much needed bits and didn't want anything in return I would want to leave you some sort of reference. There was still a trade agreement, no? You still were required to send me the bits and had you not, would it not warrant a backout?

But I agree, good judgement would be key when leaving references when no actual "trade value" was negotiated.

Good question/bad example.
When *I* gift bits, etc., I specifically request NOT to receive a reference.
Sometimes, they still leave one, though. LOL

Your example, though, is why I said to use your best judgement. Someone like yourself, for example, would be a no-brainer for me. I'd leave a ref. On the other hand, someone with no or very few ref's hasn't established himself and, while he's likely NOT a p.o.s. scammer, I won't take the risk.

I hope that clarifies.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

MagickalMemories wrote:
3eland wrote:What if that member is actually a normal contributor to the site and just thinks bits should be shared amongst each other? Like if it was you MM and you sent me some much needed bits and didn't want anything in return I would want to leave you some sort of reference. There was still a trade agreement, no? You still were required to send me the bits and had you not, would it not warrant a backout?

Good question/bad example.
When *I* gift bits, etc., I specifically request NOT to receive a reference.
Sometimes, they still leave one, though. LOL

Your example, though, is why I said to use your best judgement. Someone like yourself, for example, would be a no-brainer for me. I'd leave a ref. On the other hand, someone with no or very few ref's hasn't established himself and, while he's likely NOT a p.o.s. scammer, I won't take the risk.

I hope that clarifies.

Eric
Very well said Patriarch Eric, there was a reason why I liked you.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Garlicson2 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Garlicson2 »

Alright, thanks for the clarification guys. I'm gonna go ahead and think it over before I decide to leave him a reference. Hopefully those who read this post also found this useful.

Happy Holiday everyone!

Johnny
Couple of things to know when trading with me:

1. Lower rating ships/trades first (Me included), unless your ad states vice versa, NO EXCEPTIONS.

2. The price on my lot does NOT include shipping, unless my ad says otherwise.

3. I'm not good with shipping at the same time, so if our rating is the same, we should discuss who'll send first.

Other than that, I'm a easy going trader, so don't hesitate to make any offer, worst I can say is "No thanks".
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

Instead of a reference, you could always post in the good traders forum instead. This seems like a great time to use that subforum.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”