Question regarding locked post

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Grimku ( 20 )
Journeyman Trader

Question regarding locked post

Post by Grimku »

I had a post locked after updating the ad and then replying what I had updated.

http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewt ... 5&t=197659 is the post in question.

This is the rule that was quoted:

Rule #13: Ad Posting & "Post Bumping"
Please note that Bartertown users are limited to one topic/ad per forum per seven calendar days.
For those of you who don't understand this: Look at a calendar. If I post an ad on 3 July in the 40k forum I may not repost an ad to that forum until 10 July. That is seven calendar days. It's a legal term.
Example:
Let's say I have some LOTR Riders of Rohan I want to get rid of and other miscellaneous stuff from WHFB and 40K. I can post an ad with those items together in the LOTR, WHFB and 40K forums. Seven calendar days later, I can post another ad with the same items OR I can edit the ad at any time.
What I can't do is relist the items every day in each forum.

Helpful Hint: The idea here is to prevent excessive promotion of one's trade/sale items or discussion topics. Users are prohibited via software from making more than one new topic per seven days (4 days for Bartertown Plus members), but there are other ways to self-promote. It's awkward wording, but "post bumping" is a term understood by the greatest number of people.

If you've got items that fit into multiple categories, you may cross-post given the stricture above.

You may update your ORIGINAL POST (OP), and you may then immediately leave a reply in the thread stating WHAT was updated. If you fail to update the OP, or fail to state what you updated in the reply; then your thread will be locked and you will be given a warning.
Is the bold part not what I did or did I do it incorrectly?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Question regarding locked post

Post by MagickalMemories »

You got it.
Also keep in mind (I'm NOT saying you did this) that, if we think someone's violating the SPIRIT of the rule by updating the OP and replying every day or something ridiculous like that, we'll still lock the thread.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Grimku ( 20 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Grimku »

I see. Glad to hear I wasn't breaking the rules.

So since it WAS locked (rightly or not) do I have to then wait 7 days to post anything else? :/
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Well, you actually were breaking the rules, but it's one that's commonly broken and not one with major repercussions.

Yes. You'd still have to wait until your ad is 7 days old.
For the record, the site counts by minutes, not days. So, if you post at noon on Saturday, yo can't repost an ad in that forum until after noon the following Saturday.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Grimku ( 20 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Grimku »

MagickalMemories wrote:Well, you actually were breaking the rules
You may update your ORIGINAL POST (OP), and you may then immediately leave a reply in the thread stating WHAT was updated
I don't understand. This is what I did. I changed the ad and then immediately left a reply saying what was updated.

I'm just very confused as to how this rule is enforced. I didn't "update the OP and reply every day or something ridiculous like that," it was 1 small change 1 time.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Edit: I is wrong.
Last edited by pretre on Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Actually, that is not what I'm saying.

The reply says, "Updated.. also want gators."
It does not say what specific additions you made to the thread. Are you saying you added "gators" in later? Are you saying that you also want gators, but didn't put anything in the thread?
Forgive me. I don't play the game, so don't know what might and might not have been there in the first post.

If it's not CLEAR what changes you made, we're going to look at it as a bumped post and move on. It's not as bad as it used to be, thanks to our stricter policy, but bumping used to be an AWFUL thing here. Just abusive. We enabled site and rule changes to thwart it, and they helped tremendously. So, we stick with what has worked for us.
Keep in mind that you're looking at what happened to you. We have to look at the 31000+ other members, as well. We have to see how your actions might impact them... and we have to "police" their actions, too. That does not leave us a lot of time to pour over every slight change. The more difficult it is for us to make a decision at a glance, the less likely that the decision is going to go in your favor.

I don't mean that with any attitude at all. Just trying to be frank and clear.

Eric

Grimku ( 20 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Grimku »

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of the "update only every 7 days" rule, only that you couldn't post a new topic until 7 days had passed.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”