How to Post Photos

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

How to Post Photos

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Method 1 - On-site:
upload pics 1.jpg
upload pics 2.jpg
upload pics 3.jpg
upload pics 4.jpg
upload pics 5.jpg
upload pics 6.jpg
upload pics 7.jpg
Notes:

There is a size limit--if you find that your pic is not uploading, trying saving it in a lower resolution or smaller size.

You can place text above or below photos.

It's always good policy to preview your post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by imp522 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stickied
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Re: How to Post Photos

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Method 2 - Off-site:

Join Picasaweb or Photobucket, and upload your pics to a gallery there.

Then copy/paste links to the photos into your post, between image tags:
upload pics 8.jpg
which will produce:

Notes:

Some members will not be able to view photo share sites due to workplace restrictions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I find that photobucket only posts about 2/3 of the image. Always the left most side. How would one correct that??
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

That is due to the size of the photo and the resolution of your screen. If you zoom out via your mouse scroll wheel + CTRL You will see that the whole photo is there just not entirely viewable at your monitor resolution.

You can either reduce the size of the photo via photobucket or just zoom out to view your pics, or change the resolution of your monitor. I recommend just zooming out to view.
smilbuta ( 148 )
Resident Trader

Post by smilbuta »

WIth regards toi photos and the image tag, how come the IMAGE SIze option does not work. I have tried this here multiple times and it fails , yet works on other sites.

Example.

[IMG=100x200] {url} [/IMG] this is a BBCode standard yet does not work here.
----------------------------------------------
My Trading Rules:
NOTICE: NO INTERNATIONAL TRADES OR SALES PERIOD.
1) I expect Bartertown courtesy during trades, Low Rating Ships First.
2) I never send PayPal as GIFT and you should not either.
3) Any Bad Refs on your REP in the last year, then you ship first.(Negotiable based on over all REP).
4) If your buying, you pay first.
5) If you have '0' Refs we cannot do business.

READ--->PLEASE DO NOT POST REPLY'S IN MY THREADS, PM ME.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Because we don't use that code. I don't know if it's an option for us "behind the scenes" or not, but I know it isn't listed.

I'll ask Plarz for input.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

smilbuta wrote:With regards to photos and the image tag, how come the IMAGE Size option does not work. I have tried this here multiple times and it fails , yet works on other sites.

Example.

[IMG=100x200] {url} [/IMG] this is a BBCode standard yet does not work here.
Short Answer:
Because other sites implement it and our software doesn't.

Long Answer:
These are the only BBCodes that the forum software has native support for. If you take a look, you'll see that the IMG tag doesn't mention anything about sizing.

My Googling for a BBCode standard yielded only http://www.bbcode.org/ which is hardly a standard by the proper definition. It does mention the IMG tag size options, but for some reason, phpBB must have decided to not implement those. Can you provide a link to the standard you're referencing?

Bartertown does have one extra BBCode which is not listed in my link above, and that's the [ s ] tag for doing strike through text. I could see about manually implementing the IMG size options, but I don't know how it would affect the existing posts, and I'm not terribly interested in spending what could be hours of time adding functionality that, during Bartertown's 17 or 18 year history, no one has missed up until now.

Programmer's Answer:
Implementing that tag, and using the size attributes on an image in a website is a horrid idea. The entire reason you're wanting to use a smaller image is typically to:
  • Speed up loading times
  • Get people to click it so the user goes to your site for site stats boosting
  • Save space on the page
  • make people go to a specialized page for looking at the image, probably because the size that fits the main article or post doesn't do the image justice
In three of the cases, using the full size image and just resizing it is the worst way to do it. Why? Because the browser as to download the full size image anyway, and then resize it internally before putting it up on the screen.

If you're after faster loading times, you've actually increased them, because the browser has to download the full size image (zero gain) and then resize the image before putting it on the screen (+computing time). Fail.

If you're after click-throughs, then you want use the smaller image so people can't just use the "Rt-click, view image in new tab" feature of most browsers to just view the picture, without being surrounded by your ads and other stuff. If you use the full size image, they get the full size image, regardless of how you resize it on your site. If you use a small one, they are foiled, and have to go back and click through to the full size, hosted somewhere on your a site where you have ads and get more impressions, etc.

If you're trying to save space on the page, you'd better hope that the browser your user is using renders the image right, because what it's supposed to render isn't what it downloaded. Who knows what will happen on mobile browsers. If you uploade the exact image you want used, then you'll know it looks right for everyone. This is a stretch though, and if this is your only reason for resizing, then I don't see much harm in doing it.

If you're doing this because the smaller size doesn't do the image justice, then you definitely don't want to be shoving the image through a completely unknown resizing filter, it could make the thumbnail look even worse! However, you might want the thumbnail to look bad so the user clicks through. *shrug*

Most of the time, you are far better off just popping the image into any image editor (GIMP is a fantastic, free, open source photoshop clone), and resizing it yourself. Just append "_small" to your image name, and now you have two images you can use. The small one is super quick to download and will always be the size you want it to be.

Conclusion:
For now, you'll have to resize outside the forum and use the smaller image inside the IMG tags, but link to the larger one in the URL tag. If you do as I suggested, and just append "_small" to the name, then you can use the same link when building the code, and just manually add the post-fix.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

THIS... is why I did not know the answer. LOL

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:Method 2 - Off-site...
As a corollary to this, jason1977, you can get around your oversized picture problems by using the IMG tag to show a decently-sized picture (one that is 500-600 pixels across) and then surround it with the URL tags to link to a bigger version of the same picture:

[ Click to Enlarge ]

I understand this requires you to store two pictures off-site, but it makes all the difference to someone browsing your thread - especially if they are on a mobile device!
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Probably the best place for off-site hosting of wargaming photos is Dakkadakka.
Not only do you get image hosting, but it has a simple cut and paste for the picture with a link to the larger picture that works perfectly here.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

For some reason, I can't add attachments of my pictures here.
I can add a jpg of artwork, like below, but not the photos I just took of my models.
This is the same camera I used for years. They are jpgs also.
I've tried with Chrome and Edge.

Here is the error message.
Error
The image file you tried to attach is invalid.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

kturock wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:55 pm
For some reason, I can't add attachments of my pictures here.
I can add a jpg of artwork, like below, but not the photos I just took of my models.
This is the same camera I used for years. They are jpgs also.
I've tried with Chrome and Edge.

Here is the error message.
Error
The image file you tried to attach is invalid.
Also Photobucket is saying I'm over limit and wants me to pay.
I tried Dakka before and had problems. I don't recall what.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

How BIG are the pics you're trying to upload? If you go over the limit (500kb, I think), that's an issue for the system's limitations.
The Dragonlance image above, for example, is only 295.96 KB.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Weird that all of the pics are over 600kb when I use that camera all the time and don't, can't, adjust the settings.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”