Post locked for ...?

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

Geisthund ( 0 )
Trade Novice

Post locked for ...?

Post by Geisthund »

I recently posted to Warhammer 40k for an Ork Speed Freak army..it says the thread is locked..any reason why?
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Post locked for ...?

Post by Imaginos »

Your follow up post qualified as post-bumping. You should have just edited the first post to include your comment.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Please read the rules: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470

Specifically rule 13.

Like Imaginos said, your follow-up comment was a bumping of your post (whether intentional or not).. which is not allowed here.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Geisthund ( 0 )
Trade Novice

Post by Geisthund »

wow..okay, just for the record. Unintentional...
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

The reason the rule is in place, to my knowledge, is for a few reasons.

"Bumping" your post doesn't actually bump the post to the top of the forum per-say, but to those of us who have changed our settings to either a) be notified of changes/ new posts or b) view newest posts first, it can be quite a hassle if everyone started bumping their posts up. It would filter the actual new posts down which would then be counter-productive for having the settings in the first place. Look at it this way, if you posted a trade ad and from the time you posted it and the time I logged in 20+ other people bumped their already existing post, when I look at my list of new threads/posts your post will have sunk to the bottom of my list. I would have to go through 20+ posts of "bumping" that I had seen already, I may not even see your post if it's on the second or third page!

The other setting, the notification setting; imagine being sent 20+ emails that only say "bump", that would be annoying.

Every member deserves the same amount of advertising time. By bumping up your post, it does not allow the other members the same right. That is why editing your posts and posting the edited modifications is allowed. If there has been a drastic change in your posting (remember you can post a new thread every 7 days), then it is allowed to share it, or "bump" it, to announce it to people. For example, I have a large list of armies for sale with many people messaging me about it. I sell 50% of it and find more stuff in my closet. I can edit the original post and then include a follow up post stating what sold, what new stuff is up, etc. This way, people who are following your post (getting notifications or have saved in their settings), or those who have already checked your post, will know of the significant changes.

Not many people intentionally "bump" their posts, sometimes they hit quote instead of edit (I did this just the other day actually - although I had a mod remove it). Or they forget to include something and think people should know. While others intentionally bump it, via a comment they think people would care about or even the words "bump".

Personally though, since everyone should have read all the rules before joining the site to begin with, I believe there is no excuse. Intentional or not, the bumping of your post (and by your I mean collective not just directed at the OP) is against the rules. You can repost a thread every 7 days, that is not a long time to wait. Most people don't come on Bartertown every day so imagine if you could post a new ad everyday? The amount of duplicates they would have to go through would be intense!

I'm sure there are other reason why it is against the rules and I am sure an admin/mod would love to talk with you further about it but that's what I believe (my own opinion, not the site's opinion). I myself have the settings so I see new posts first. So when I log in and go to "View new posts" I don't want to see a dozen posts that just say "bump", there is a reason I didn't contact them in the first place, now I have to see it again?

Don't take insult in the fact that your post was locked due to a rules violation, take it as a learning experience. You have been a member since 2009, you should have read the rules at least once since then, and even have seen other posts that were locked due to bumping. I feel it shouldn't have been a surprise to you though, I mean a follow up post 5 minutes after your original thread post? Not many people would have even seen the post yet for it to be such a big issue to comment. A simple edit of your original post would have sufficed.

I would like to say however, that this post is in no way directed towards you with any hate,bias or anything else. As this site is open to a large community, with many new users, there is a large chance new users (and some older ones who haven't read the rules yet) will come across this thread. Therefore, although my comments may have been directed towards you (OP), the message was meant for a broader audience. So please do not read too much into my words and think I was attacking you :D.

Any who, best of luck to you in your future trades!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'd say you pretty much covered it...

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Geisthund ( 0 )
Trade Novice

Post by Geisthund »

No I'm good, just because I think a rule is silly doesn't mean I won't follow it..I had no intentions of bumping my post..I mean I just posted it..literally minutes before. It was a knee jerk thing where I thought the information was pertinent to the post. So I posted it. Guess I'm just not used to barter sites forums..just regular ones lol.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Geisthund wrote:..I mean I just posted it..literally minutes before.
Dont worry. They wont give you a vacation from the site for the first offense. There is an edit key to allow you to fix something if needed.

Jason
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Geisthund ( 0 )
Trade Novice

Post by Geisthund »

There is an edit key to allow you to fix something if needed.
Will do from now on.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Yeah... unless you do it a lot, it's one of those things we're not going to hold against you. Like you said, we're not set up like most other sites in that regard. So, we tend to give a little leeway.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”