Bad Trader: Jon Sommer AKA Tsunami

These BTR's have not yet been resolved. Be wary of anyone listed here.

Moderator: Moderators

vesrian ( 108 )
Resident Trader

Bad Trader: Jon Sommer AKA Tsunami

Post by vesrian » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:56 am

I made a deal with Jon in mid-February to sell him some old warzone models i had. He received the models, but i never received payment.

It was a small deal - i was only asking $20 for the models. He has references under his name at another email that gave him a rating similar to mine, so i didn't have a problem sending at the same time. He confirmed receipt of the models but i've yet to recieve payment from him. When i asked about it, he claimed it got returned for having incorrect address and that he would resend it. The was the last i heard from him. The next PM i sent him is still in my outbox, so i sent an email to the address associated with his account but have not recieved a reply. It's been about a month since i should have received payment and he hasn't been in contact with me, so i'm just going to go ahead and file mail fraud and internet fraud forms.

His address is:

Jon Sommer
1330 Presidential Drive Apt 114
Columbus OH

and his email is:

sommer.63@osu.edu

The PMs are below, along with the email i sent him. I removed my sig and his, except for the first message.
The last PM (March 11) is still in my outbox as of this post.

To: vesrian
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Subject: Warzone Quote message

I'd take the Imperial lot you have. Lemme know your Paypal address and I can get the money out tonight or tommorrow.

~Jon

sospwith@newnorth.net

To: Tsunami
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:15 pm
Subject: Re: Warzone

Tsunami wrote:
I'd take the Imperial lot you have. Lemme know your Paypal address and I can get the money out tonight or tommorrow.

~Jon

Hi Jon,

I think i said it in my ad, but i only accept payment via money orders (available at any post office). I don't use paypal. If you are still interested in the models, let me know.

Thanks,
-David

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:54 pm
Subject: Re: Warzone Quote message

That works too, for some reason I thought you'd mentioned Paypal. Lemme know your address and I'll get it out this week.

~Jon

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:59 am

Hi,

Glad that works for you. If you send me your address, i can get the models out to you later this week.

My address is :

((removed))

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:09 pm

Jon Sommer
1330 Presidential Drive Apt 114
Columbus OH

I'll send it tommorrow.

~Jon

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:17 pm

FYI,

I sent your models out today. I tossed in 3 or 4 other warzone models i found lying around. The delivery conformation number is:

0304 3490 0001 5323 3532

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Great! Your MO went out yesterday, should be there roughly mid-week next week. LMK when it gets there!

~Jon

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Picked the package up today, everything was in good order, though they managed to mangle the box pretty well...gotta love the Postal Service, lol.

~Jon

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:50 pm
Hi,

Sorry the box got mangled, it was in perfect shape when it left here. As of today's mail, I haven't received your payment yet, when did you send it?

-David

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Hey, I got the envelope back, with an incorrect address stamp on it. To verify your address here's what I had:

((my address removed, it was correct))

If this is the correct one, then I'll Fedex the damn thing tommorrow to make up for the delay. Sorry for the problem.

~Jon

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:08 pm

Tsunami wrote:
Hey, I got the envelope back, with an incorrect address stamp on it. To verify your address here's what I had:

((my address removed, it was correct))

If this is the correct one, then I'll Fedex the damn thing tommorrow to make up for the delay. Sorry for the problem.

~Jon

Hmm, that's odd. The address above is my correct address, maybe it didn't get copied correctly or they couldn't read the address for some reason. There's no need to Fedex it, standard mail is fine. I'll be out of town until next week anyway.

Thanks for getting back to me.

-David

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:54 pm
Subject: Re: Warzone Edit message
Hi,

I'm wondering if you had a chance to resend the payment? As of today i have not recieved it.

-David

To: sommer.63@osu.edu
CC:
Subject: bartertown deal
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:42:19 -0500
Show Full Headers Close This Window

Hello,

We had a deal on bartertown.com back in February. You were sending me
$20 for a box of warzone miniatures. I sent the models, but i have
not yet recieved payment. I'm wondering if perhaps you forgot to send
it? I sent you a PM on the bartertown site on March 11th, but i see
you haven't logged in since then so i decided to email you. I hope we
can resolve this issue.

Thanks,
-David

darkchampion ( 490 )
Millenium Trader

Post by darkchampion » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:02 am

Don't send out the models until you get payment. Thats what went wrong.
I follow the idea LOWER references ships/pays first. It keeps things safer for anyone, as I would never desire to have to start over again. Nor would I want to loose the trust of any fellow gamers. That is how I ended up with my reference collection! I always follow through with my deal!

vesrian ( 108 )
Resident Trader

Post by vesrian » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:43 pm

Yeah, perhaps. But with his other references (which i have no real reason to doubt), he had a rating of something like 36. Mine was about 40 at the time. I figured his was high enough that the small difference in rating wasn't enough to worry about. Apparently i need to rethink my policies on making other people ship first.

vesrian ( 108 )
Resident Trader

Post by vesrian » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:16 pm

Update:
I heard from Jon. He says life happened and interferred with the trade. Apparently he intends to complete the deal. If so, i'll post again.

MagickalMemories ( 828 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Well, it has been a while with no update, so i don't know how things have gone for you.
Every post of his from the one below and after it make me think he may NOT be trying to scam you:
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Picked the package up today, everything was in good order, though they managed to mangle the box pretty well...gotta love the Postal Service, lol.

~Jon
Typically, a scammer will totally cease communication once the stuff has arrived.
Additionally, as you say, it was a SMALL trade. Typically, it'd be a larger trade. If he was scamming, you'd normally have 4, 5, 6 or more other people also chiming in on this thread with "Me, too's" by now.

I'm not defending him. he could be scamming the HELL out of you... but signs point to, "No."

That being said, I'd love to see a post with info on how things are looking now.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

vesrian ( 108 )
Resident Trader

Post by vesrian » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:51 pm

MM,

I agree with everything you said. That was pretty much what went through my head as well. But the fact remains that i still don't have the money he owes me. I have gotten a bunch of excuses though. I understand that life gets in the way of trades, but reasonable excuses get to be unreasonable when they start bringing friends, if you know what i mean.

The last email i got from him (after one where he said he would be sending payment to me) said that my emails were being marked as spam and that he'd only received one message from me. I replied to that, assuming that he either whitelisted my address or would be checking through his spam folder, but never heard back. I also sent an email from a different email address and haven't heard back from that either. Whether he got them or not, i don't see how my emails getting marked as spam would prevent him from mailing the money order (which he should already have) to my address (which he should also have). And if there are email issues, he could always PM me here...

I held off on filling out the mail fraud forms when i heard back from him because it seemed like a legitament excuse and he said he intended to pay me. I don't know what the deal is, but it looks like he's ignoring me now, so i guess i'll be filing the forms afterall. I wanted to avoid that, because i really did think it was a case of life inteferring with the trade. Anything i can do beyond filling out the forms in Insidius's sig? I don't think the police will care about $20.

MagickalMemories ( 828 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:55 am

Man, I am totally with you.
Truth be told, I'd have already filed the reports before the most recent time he contacted me.

*F* the fact that it's $20. it's not about that. it's about theft. YOU worked hard for that money.
I say that, IN ADDITION TO filling out the 'Sid forms, you call your local and his local Police Dept's and get them involved.
A visit from them will, probably, get a $20 money order in the mail to you SWIFTLY.

Eric
P.S. Insist on a POSTAL money order... you can cash them at the post office. That way, if he tries to claim it was lost, you'll know because their system won't let them cash it for you.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

MagickalMemories ( 828 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Bad Trader: Jon Sommer AKA Tsunami

Post by MagickalMemories » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

User has reappeared as Arklite.

Banned for multi-accounting.

Eric

PauloF ( 96 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by PauloF » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:05 am

the guy is completely nonsense - he is already selling the warzone minis he got by scamming vesrian!!
I live in São Paulo - Brazil. Happy to cover differences on shipping cost if the deal is good :)

When trading I follow traditional (but not enforced or endorsed) Btown rules: lower rating ships first, Paypal and USPS shipment (Priority)

References I'm owned: stnyhan

MagickalMemories ( 828 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:51 am

PauloF wrote:the guy is completely nonsense - he is already selling the warzone minis he got by scamming vesrian!!
Actually, check the dates.

This thread is 3 years old. "already" is probably not really a correct word in this instance.

: )

Eric

ghazzy ( 1184 )
Resident Trader

Post by ghazzy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:01 am

Goodness...............well this would explain why arklite had no responded to me. We did a trade that actually went well.......He sent some IGuard and some paypal and I sent him some/alot..........of empire.....I left a good ref. and asked for him to leave a good ref. which he didnt yet.... But hadnt heard back................so guess I wont be getting that goo ref. hahhhahaha. Yikes for him.

MagickalMemories ( 828 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:48 am

ghazzy wrote:Goodness...............well this would explain why arklite had no responded to me. We did a trade that actually went well.......He sent some IGuard and some paypal and I sent him some/alot..........of empire.....I left a good ref. and asked for him to leave a good ref. which he didnt yet.... But hadnt heard back................so guess I wont be getting that goo ref. hahhhahaha. Yikes for him.
Sorry that you ended up getting the sh!t end of the stick with that timing, Ghazzy.

Eric

Return to “Unresolved Bad Trader Reports”