Suggestions on how to complete a safe and easy trade.

For general questions, rule questions, trade advice, FAQ's, and other assistance-related matters. This forum is for Bartertown related questions/help ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Suggestions on how to complete a safe and easy trade.

Post by 3eland »

Good day Bartertown!

Due to popular demand, I have decided to post an example of how to complete a trade on Bartertown safely, easily and (hopefully) with a positive experience. Please note everyone trades differently, this example is purely informative and is not deemed "the exact way you should trade".

Initial Contact

Your initial contact should always be polite and include any and all information regarding the trade you would like to start. This includes your offer or asking price (for sales) or the complete and accurate list of what you would like to trade. An example of this would be:
Awesome painted army

Sent: Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 am
by 3eland
Greetings!

I am interesting in your awesome painted army. I am willing to offer $300 + shipping for it.

Please let me know if you are interested!

Thank you,

Ryan
or
H: Space marines W: Chaos Space Marines

Sent: Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 am
by 3eland
Greetings!

I am interesting in your Space marine army. I am interested in:

Space Marines
Captain
10 Tactical marines
Land Raider
Storm Raven

and have to offer:

Chaos Space Marines
Terminator Lord - Plastic, bare
20 CSM - Plastic, bare, mixed weapons
2 Rhinos - Plastic, bare
1 Heldrake - Plastic, bare

Please let me know if you are interested! You can see pictures of my army here: <Link to Pictures>

Thank you,

Ryan

Trade Communication

If you (or the other party) does not have interest in the offer then let them know. Even if it is a short "No". Try to respond as quickly as you can! Everyone knows life can get in the way, however waiting days on a response only frustrates things (especially when you (or them) have read the message already).

Sometimes counter-offers will be placed. Perhaps you or your trade partner wants something additional, or wants to change a specific detail of the offer. Remember to always approach this initial communication with respect. You are setting up a transaction after all!

If, after any and all counters have been made, an interest (or agreement) is shown, great! Now comes the trade discussion.

Trade Discussion

Discussing the trade can take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days (sometimes, depending on how busy you or your trade partner is, it can take even longer!). The biggest thing is to be patient and remain polite. Many people have a trade expiration date. This means after X amount of days a trade is automatically cancelled. Make sure you let your trading partner know if you have an expiration on your trade offer!

Who is shipping first? This is usually the biggest issue with trades. Some members who have many trades under their belt will automatically assume the lower trade score member will ship first. Remember THIS IS NOT A BARTERTOWN RULE, and anyone claiming it to be is full of it. You will find however, many members have their own trading guidelines and that is one of the bigger "rules" on their list. They have been here trading a lot longer and a lot more than a new person and as such, they confide in their trade score - as should a new person.

Think of it this way - would a member who has done over 400 successfully positive trades all of a sudden risk their entire reputation and trade history to rip you off (especially over a few models)? Most likely not. Would a member who has just joined, has no trades or reputation try to rip you off? Who knows, but because they have no reputation or trade score, a member who has been here forever with 400 trades is not going to put that amount of faith in someone without seeing proof.

It sucks, but that is the way it tends to work. HOWEVER, you do not have to agree to send first if you do not wish to or feel uncomfortable doing so. Simply let them know you are uncomfortable shipping first and ask if there is something else that can be done to resolve the trade. If no agreement is made then simply back away.

Bartertown score beats all other scores. Bartertown does not care what your ebay feedback score is, or your Dakka, Warseer, 40k Online, Sears account, Walgreens membership, etc etc score is. Bartertown members rely on the Bartertown feedback system. This is how the community judges a person's credibility and reputation. Sure having an ebay score may help but do not rely on it as many members do not care. If you strongly believe you should be paid first because your ebay account is over 100 positives yet your Bartertown feedback is 0, be prepared for many members (not all, but many) to cancel their trade with you. This may come off as rude but it is the truth - Get your reputation up here on Bartertown, as this is the only score worth anything here.

If you want to use your eBay score as a guideline and have the other party use it, as well, you can try to arrange an eBay transaction, if it is a sale. This way, the buyer will have certain protections in place. The ebay sale will still be valid for a BTown reference, in that instance, as the sale DID originate here.

How is payment being handled? If money is being sent, both parties must be clear on how it will be sent, when it will be sent, and anything else that revolves around it. Remember: If you send money through Paypal as a Friends & Family payment, you have NO security if the person decides to rip you off. Some people use exceptions here, like if they have dealt with the member before or if they are sending money after a shipment (so they receive the product, look it over, everything is okay - and so they send the money as a F&F). If you decide to use a F&F payment before receiving your items, do so with EXTREME caution, as the risk is on your shoulders.

If you are asked to send as a gift and you do not feel comfortable with it, make sure you let your trading partner know. If no resolution is met then simply back away. Some people make the person pay their Paypal fees if you do not send as a gift - however as a buyer you are not required to pay the fees. That is the fee of doing business. This however is totally negotiable through communication with both trade partners.

How is the shipment being sent/ How is it packed? Many members like to take pictures of the packaging process. This is to ensure their protection but to also show their trading partner everything is being packaged safely and efficiently. No one should ever say "That is what happens with shipping". If a package has been packed with the best of care, there should be NO broken poles, spikes, pieces, etc etc.

There is no excuse for poor packaging. If you need to purchase some peanuts or bubble wrap, take it into account during your trade. Many people wrap every individual model in bubble wrap, then place it into a peanut and bubble wrap layer in the box - this ensures each model has protection. They then secure the entire box inside with bubble wrap and use spacers to help prevent unneeded movement. Why? Because you always want to ensure there is nothing going to happen to the contents of a trade. Poles, swords and other spiky things? Put a peanut on it. Simply cut down the edge of a peanut and place it over or if it is a spear you can plop the peanut right on.

Packaging should be the longest thing you do in a trade. Your trading partner will be more likely to give good feedback and trade with you in the future if they see you did everything you could to package your shipment properly. One of the most valuable comments someone can leave in a reference for you is that you did a great job on packing.

Remember also, quick and easy shipment is not always the way. Always notify your trader if you will be tracking and insuring the product OR if you would like them to track and insure the product. This may make the shipping slightly higher, but in the chance something does happen, the entire contents can be tracked and replaced. Kturock says boxes go through the machine at around 50 mph (or so). So if your package is not packaged to ensure the survivability of a 50 mph box run with up to 50 pounds of stuff on top, then you need to rethink your packaging methods.

Insurance however (and tracking) will help both sides - knowing everything is covered will help reduce the anticipation of the shipping process. Keep in mind that tracking protects YOU, the sender. Most shipments you send via USPS will come with tracking automatically. If it doesn't, and you don't get it, you put the entirety of the risk on your own shoulders.

Pictures and Contents. When you take pictures, ensure they are not taken with a potato. If the grains(pixels) are larger than the Space Marines head - you need to invest in another camera. Borrow someones if you need to - but poor pictures is NOT an excuse. Pictures are something that should be sent anytime you do business with someone, especially if the models are assembled, painted, stripped, etc etc. If they are new in box still shrink wrapped - then pictures aren't really needed, except to prove you have them in your possession.

Descriptive lists is a must (it's even a rule!). Accurate, descriptive lists will prevent BTRs and Back-outs. Simply providing pictures is not enough. An *exact* list is expected. You need to not only show your trade but to describe it accurately. A trade partner needs to know what he is getting, how it was handled, painted, assembled, etc. If it is plastic, resin, metal. What edition it is, and anything else involved. Failure to do so may result in a cancellation of your trade, or even worse, a BTR filed!

Never ever agree to something you are uncomfortable with. There is a reason why we have feelings like that - to ignore them could spell out disaster (not saying it will).

The Contract

Once an agreement has been made on the terms of the trade, it then becomes a contract. Many people like to write up an official agreement and have their trading partner agree. Doing so ensures that both parties have read over the terms and has had a chance to double check all the details. I have attached my own trade agreement contract that I use, you are free to use it if you wish (the raw version or any adaptation of it)!

Simply replace the <red> with your trade details.

A contract that outlines the trade agreement if you are to send the product before being paid:
You, <name of your trading partner>, will be purchasing my <product> for $<value> USD via Paypal in 1 payment(s) of $<value> USD. This includes:
Always list out your product in full within quotes so the trading partner can locate it easily.

Payment should not exceed past one week of confirmed delivery unless communication between the two of us has been met. I will ship the entire <product> within 2 business days to your preferred address by <whatever company you are sending your product with> after agreement of this "contract". This shipment will include a tracking number and insurance to cover the full $<value> USD value of the models. Most often this shipment service will take approximately <X> business days, however please note that this does not include holidays or weekends.

All payments will be sent to my Paypal @ <your paypal email>

Your chosen address:

<Address>

Failure to pay the full amount by one week after confirmed delivery without communication between the two of us will be a breach of this trade agreement and further action may be done if I so choose to.

Pictures of packaging and shipment labels along with receipts will be provided upon shipment so we both have records of the deal and its contents. <I personally do this, however you are not required to do so>

If you have any other questions or comments regarding the trade agreement, those will be made and included into a follow up agreement and then agreed to before payment and shipment is done.

A contract that outlines the trade agreement if you are to send the product after being paid:
You, <name of your trading partner>, will be purchasing my <product> for $<value> USD via Paypal in 1 payment(s) of $<value> USD. This includes:
Always list out your product in full within quotes so the trading partner can locate it easily.

Payment should not exceed past <date> unless communication between the two of us has been met. I will ship the entire <product> within 2 business days to your preferred address by <whatever company you are sending your product with> on receipt of payment. This shipment will include a tracking number and insurance to cover the full $<value> USD value of the models. Most often this shipment service will take approximately <X> business days, however please note that this does not include holidays or weekends.

All payments will be sent to my Paypal @ <your paypal email>

Your chosen address:

<Address>

Failure to pay the full amount by <date> without communication between the two of us will be a breach of this trade agreement and further action may be done if I so choose to.

Pictures of packaging and shipment labels along with receipts will be provided upon shipment so we both have records of the deal and its contents. <I personally do this, however you are not required to do so>

If you have any other questions or comments regarding the trade agreement, those will be made and included into a follow up agreement and then agreed to before payment and shipment is done.

A contract that outlines the trade agreement if you are to send the product before your trading partner is sending theirs:
You, <name of your trading partner>, will be trading your <product> for my <product>. This includes:
List of YOUR Products
For your:
List of THEIR Products

Shipment should not exceed past one week of confirmed delivery unless communication between the two of us has been met. I will ship the entire <product> within 2 business days to your preferred address by <whatever company you are sending your product with> after agreement of this "contract". This shipment will include a tracking number and insurance to cover the full $<value> USD value of the models. Most often this shipment service will take approximately <X> business days, however please note that this does not include holidays or weekends.

Your chosen address:

<Address>

My chosen address:

<Address>

Failure to ship by one week of confirmed delivery without communication between the two of us will be a breach of this trade agreement and further action may be done if I so choose to.

A contract that outlines the trade agreement if you are to send the product after your trading partner has sent theirs:
You, <name of your trading partner>, will be trading your <product> for my <product>. This includes:
List of YOUR Products
For your:
List of THEIR Products

Shipment should not exceed past <date> unless communication between the two of us has been met. I will ship the entire <product> within 2 business days to your preferred address by <whatever company you are sending your product with> on receipt of shipment. This shipment will include a tracking number and insurance to cover the full $<value> USD value of the models. Most often this shipment service will take approximately <X> business days, however please note that this does not include holidays or weekends.

Your chosen address:

<Address>

My chosen address:

<Address>

Failure to ship by <date> without communication between the two of us will be a breach of this trade agreement and further action may be done if I so choose to.

Shipping your package

Finally the part of the trade when you ship everything!

Make sure you let your trading partner know when you will be going to the post office. You should always ship the package when you say you will. Not doing so may result in delays, frustration and even back-outs or BTRs filed! Remember though, if for some reason you cannot, let your trading partner know ASAP!

When you PM your trading partner, always include all the information pertaining to the shipment. This includes tracking number (if available), what value the package was insured at (if available) and anything else you believe will allow your partner the full understanding of the shipment. I have attached a template I personally use every time I send out a package and inform my trading partner:

Simply replace the <red> with your trade details.
Hello <name of your trading partner>,

Your package has been sent off! It has been insured for $<value> USD and tracked. I was informed it will take <X> business days, however, I usually like to add 2-3 days just in case (that and note this does not include weekends or holidays).

Your tracking number: <Tracking Number>
Quick link to <whatever company you used to send your package>: <website link to their tracking or home page>

The following pictures are more for reference purposes (and if something happens during transit to the package, we both have pictures to show how the package was packed). The pictures are uploaded via Bartertown and so only you and I have access to them. That way personal details aren't located publicly online.<I personally attach pictures of my packaging process as well as receipts of shipment but it is not required>

Let me know when the package arrives. Please look through it all to ensure everything arrived safely and nothing happened during shipping. If you are 100% satisfied with the contents please let me know. If there are any issues I shall try to rectify them ASAP. I appreciate any and all feedback left regarding this trade.

Hope you enjoy the <product>!

Thanks,

<your name>

Feedback

Remember feedback is not mandatory unless included in your trade agreement. Therefore if you do not wish to leave it, you are not required to. You do not "owe" anyone feedback, nor do they "owe" you.

However, if you feel you wish to leave feedback to show other members what positive (or negative) experience you had, then, please, do so!

You can do so in 3 simple steps!

1. Click on the tab labelled "Post a Reference".

2. Fill out the form, making sure you write their name properly (otherwise it may not go through OR you may accidentally leave the feedback for someone else!)

3. Click submit and wait until the page loads. It will ask for you to confirm your submission. If you do not wait until the confirmation page then the feedback will not be recorded!

Done!

Issues that may result in the trade

Unfortunately not all trades go smoothly. Sometimes things happen during the trade that result in an escalation of events.

Back-Out
A back-out is a record of a trade where both trading partners have agreed on a trade but then one of them decides to "back out". In a situation that results in a backing out, the member who did not back out is allowed to post a public Back-Out thread informing the community of the failed trade. Also, since a trade agreement was made, the member is allowed to post feedback (usually negative) regarding the trade and/or back-out if they wish.

BTR
Also known as a "Bad Trader Report". This is a record of a trade that had problems arise. Usually one side does not abide by their side of the trade agreement and it results in the loss of product. Sometimes it is the quality (or quantity) of the trade - like if the trading partner was to send 15 Tactical marines but only sent 10. Usually a BTR is filed when a person does not wish to make good on their side. Remember: Always (politely) contact your trading partner if issues arise and try to resolve the issues before resorting to a BTR.

Deadbeat
A deadbeat is a report filed when a person is literally a "deadbeat" or someone who you simply will not trade with again due to a back-out or bad trading practice. Many times it is a Back-Out report but since the trading partner was not co-operative or rude, they label it as a deadbeat instead.

The Back-Out/Deadbeat/BTR process

A handy guide for filing a Back-Out, Deadbeat or BTR can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=103202

Remember, before completing one, ensure you have read the rules regarding it found here: viewtopic.php?t=71

Take note that filing a Back-Out or Deadbeat is the same process as a BTR.

When your Back-Out/Deadbeat/BTR is filed, remember to remain calm and polite when replying to comments. Even though there is frustration in what happened, you must not resort to being rude or childish. Especially if you want the community's (and staff's) help.

If there has been a Back-Out/Deadbeat/BTR filed against you, remain calm! Again, do not lash out in rude or childish comments. Trying to resolve a BTR should be your number 1 priority if you wish to continue trading on bartertown.

In all cases, a BTR will be moved from UNRESOLVED to RESOLVED once the BTR has been resolved to the satisfaction of the person filing the BTR. Resolving a BTR is always a good thing to do, it shows you want to make good with whatever mistake you may have made (accidental or otherwise).

Conclusion

Remember that everyone is human and are all here for the same reasons. Treat a person with respect while ensuring your side of a trade is completed at your best ability and you will be remembered. Past trading partners will feel more comfortable in dealing with you in the future. Your feedback score will increase and you will find more people will want to deal with you.

Being new is scary, but we have all been there. Be confident in dealing with high feedback members as they have established themselves here. However, always know your boundaries and what you will or will not do. Never accept something you do not feel comfortable with.

Happy trading and welcome to Bartertown!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Have Questions? Need Help?”