Malifaux Neverborne Army done!

Only Redmodelling Staff may start new topics in this forum. All users may respond to existing topics.
redfinger ( 76 )
Journeyman Trader

Malifaux Neverborne Army done!

Post by redfinger »

So this is a recent project I finished up, a Neverborne battle group from Malifaux. This army was a ton of fun to paint. I would really recommend to people just to buy and paint a couple of these Malifaux mini's, they are well done, and have a ton of personality to them.

The idea behind the army is a "child's nightmare" That is why I went a little over the top on the gore, and went with a lot of purples and blues in the shadows, to try and create a "night" effect. The idea behind the bases is a child's playroom. So I crafted blocks, some RR track, balls, marbles, and other such things that you might find in a child's play room. Enjoy the pics and leave a comment if you like;

First up, this big guy. When I first unpacked this mini, I started at it, looked at the arms and immediately knew that I needed to have blood dripping off of his hands, and the little mouth-belly that he has needs to look as if it just ate something. As far as painting goes, he was painted in Vallejo Black Gray and Vallejo Dark Sea Blue was used to shadow, taking it to black. If you notice on the blocks the word "BAD" is spelled out. Many of the blocks on the bases spell something, some of it is jumbled, others it is as clear as this, I thought it was a nice touch.

Next up we have the evil Care Bears, "Stabs-a-Lot" and his brother "Killz-a-Lot". The theme for these guys of course was psychotic care bears....I really like them, I tried to make the eyes look as if they were looking off to one side as opposed to straight ahead, I think it adds to the creepiness.

Here we have what I believe are the HQ models for Malifaux. An innocent looking little boy, and a psychotic 2 year old with a bloody knife. That is supposed to be a book next to the boys leg.

I have know idea what these 3 guys do, goblins of some sort I guess. What is cool about these guys though, is that I used the same 3 colors to paint each of them, arranged in different orders, I think it helps them look unique, but yet part of a cohesive group.

Here is another group of 3, ghosts of some kind. I think though these were my favorite figure to paint, particularly the one with the dunce cap. Perhaps it was the bright colors, I dont know. This picture shows 2 things that I tried to acheive in the entire army build. First, note the shade color used. On almost every figure that shade color is used in some way, I think that from a color perspective it helps tie things together nicely. The other thing is that you will notice a sleight semi-gloss finish to the model. Some of these have it more than others, the idea really is to add some variety. I wanted so models to look "wet" while I wanted others to look flat. If you look closely you will be able to see the word "Scream" in the blocks.

2 more figures for the army. The Malifaux artwork, shows the creepy looking guy with the jacket to have an eyeball in his hands. I thought it would add to the "child's room" feel to make it a marble instead, those are loose marbles at his feet.

Another example of using color to tie models together. These two are painted very differently, yet they have a similar feel because of the shading color used.

And lastly, the stitched horrors. I was thinking freshly cut flesh for these guys, hence the wet look. These guys were also a lot of fun and I think the gore really helps them stand out.

aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

Re: Malifaux Neverborne Army done!

Post by aurak_merc »

Nicely done stuff there. I like the ghosts and the two demon-thingys the best. I am not a huge fan of bloody and gorey models, as they tend to be overdone, but I think you did a pretty good job on not "bathing" them in it like I sometimes see.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Wow..... you did a great job on making those teddy bears creepy.
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
Shane ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Shane »

Awesome
Always looking for well sculpted Female miniatures.
natsirtm ( 122 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by natsirtm »

These are incredible Ashton. The bases are perfect!
http://gwpertinent.blogspot.com - A blog to do with all things GW pertinent I'm toying with.
http://terrainfromjunk.blogspot.com - A blog about turning junk into terrain.
redfinger ( 76 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by redfinger »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Ashton
thrasher ( 58 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by thrasher »

i think lord chompy bit is pretty sweet, especially the blood strings. Coppelius collects eyeballs so i think thematically leaving the one in his hand and eyeball but using the base to tie it into a game of marbels would have been a little better, but that is such a small thing to an overall great job!!

Return to “Redmodelling Painting and Converting”